Cloudy Headlights? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Cloudy Headlights? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by the cadillac man Sounds like the truck doesn't like the leds That's what i thought but i ...
    tla11384 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum

Re: Cloudy Headlights?

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Sounds like the truck doesn't like the leds
    That's what i thought but i plugs the old bulbs back in and nothing.

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by tla11384
    That's what i thought but i plugs the old bulbs back in and nothing.
    Check the drl relay and fuse
    If that don't fix it I will look and see where the grounds are for the head lights

Retrax is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade EXT

Tla,

You do realize the DRL's will only work when it is light out and your vehicle is running and the transmission is out of park. This is a common mistake. Drive your truck where you can pull up to a glass window or door and look at the reflection to see if they are on, or have a friend start your truck and put the transmission into drive, they should turn on.

What kind of LEDs are you using for DRL's? There are a lot of them that can not handle the forward voltage the cadillac electrical system puts out. It can spike to 14 volts DC which can fry 12 volt LEDs unless they have overload protection like the autolumination ones do, or you use an led protector inline. Yes, you do need to use load equalizers with your led turn signals. If you are only using 2 LEDs for the front or two LEDs in the back you only need two 6 ohm equalizers (one for left and one for right). If you are running led turn signals front and rear you need four 3 ohm equalizers (front left, front right, rear left and rear right).

I have check and double checked the fuse and also used different ways to see if the drl were operating correctly and im certain that they are out. I only thing now is to check the ground or replace both sockets. It's just weird to me that they would both go out at the same time. I've tested the bulbs and they are not burnt out.

ps thanks for answer the resistor question!

I think they operate on the same circuit, which would explain why they both went out at the same time. If you don't have a blown fuse, the relay could be bad. If you have a helper you and put your finger on top of the relay when the helper starts the car during day light and places it in gear. You will feel the relay click on. If not, I would swap it for the high beam relay to see if it works. If the relay is good, use a multi meter to see if you are getting power at the sockets. Do the sockets look burnt at all? The contacts may be scorched and not making good contact. That is about all I can think of at the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrax View Post
    I think they operate on the same circuit, which would explain why they both went out at the same time. If you don't have a blown fuse, the relay could be bad. If you have a helper you and put your finger on top of the relay when the helper starts the car during day light and places it in gear. You will feel the relay click on. If not, I would swap it for the high beam relay to see if it works. If the relay is good, use a multi meter to see if you are getting power at the sockets. Do the sockets look burnt at all? The contacts may be scorched and not making good contact. That is about all I can think of at the top of my head.
    sweet! ill try it and report back.

sweet! ill try it and report back.
    Also try covering the twilight sensor with a thick paper or a can to make the truck think its dark and then hit the unlock button

Provided the perimeter lighting feature is on the drls and back up lights will kick on when the button is hit (this is configurable in the drivers settings using the steering wheel controls

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Also try covering the twilight sensor with a thick paper or a can to make the truck think its dark and then hit the unlock button

Provided the perimeter lighting feature is on the drls and back up lights will kick on when the button is hit (this is configurable in the drivers settings using the steering wheel controls
    yep tried that, no work!

yep tried that, no work!
    More then likely its a ground issue or bad sockets

Let me
    Look at my service manual and see where the ground points are for the headlights

Looks light I have a bad ground or connection. After tinkering with the lights they came on. Any ideas of what I can do to make a better connection on the lights.

Thanks again for all the suggestion and help.

Looks light I have a bad ground or connection. After tinkering with the lights they came on. Any ideas of what I can do to make a better connection on the lights. Thanks again for all the suggestion and help.
    Replace the sockets for one as those can melt due to the regular bulbs generating some much heat while in use

Mark Edward Morrison is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    TRUST ME, get a Tridon LM487 heavy duty light module and your LED blinkers will work perfectly! I installed LED's for my blinkers and the Tridon light module and have never had a problem. Plus who wants to use resisters and crap to splice into lines. I think I bought my Tridon from RockAuto.com if I am not mistaken and have had my LED's in over a year and no hyper flash or any other problems.

Will that work with incandescent trailer lights? I checked with all the LED bulb makers who sell electronic flashers and they said a heavy duty turn signal/hazard electronic flasher unit did not exist for our trucks or chevy trucks. Wish I knew this before I wired in the load equalizers!

Mark Edward Morrison is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Not sure who you asked but I have one the Tridon LM487 and it works perfect on my LED blinkers. Google it and read about them, I highly recommend them.

I tow with my truck. My trailer does not have led lighting. Most trucks use a heavy duty standard flashing unit in order to allow the towing package to operate the added burden of trailer lights. This is why some cars have to have a "booster" wired in so that the trailer lights would work properly. I was told the stock gm heavy duty flasher was required for towing and that there was not a digital equivalent.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.