Traffic Camera Blocking Spray/Cover?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By wake
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Traffic Camera Blocking Spray/Cover? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Wanted to ask if anyone uses any sort of photo-blocking spray or cover to protect against traffic camera tickets, such ...
    dsciola is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 white Cadillac Escalade

Traffic Camera Blocking Spray/Cover?

Wanted to ask if anyone uses any sort of photo-blocking spray or cover to protect against traffic camera tickets, such as red-light camera's, and their effectiveness in negating tickets. A bunch have been going up in my neighborhood. See links below for clarification

http://www.superblockerspray.com/

http://www.phantomplate.com/photoblocker.html

http://photomaskcover.myshopify.com/...Fco9QgoddFcAnw

The first 2 are actual sprays from different companies. The 3rd one is actually some sort of reflective cover. The Cover Company, if you will, claims the spray's are a scam and really only the covers work. Of course, the 2 spray companies claim spray is the way to go and also that their's, respectively, is the best.

Any thoughts? Anyone use either the spray or the cover and feel its saved them a few photo tickets?

Thanks!

Dom

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Retrax is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, 2003 Escalade EXT

Re: Traffic Camera Blocking Spray/Cover?

I think it was Mythbusters that tried these and found they did not work. The current cameras have pretty good resolution.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Umm, why are you going through red lights in the first place? Excellent way to hurt or hill yourself or someone else...

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    If a cop catches you and finds that on your plates be ready for a huge ticket

Besides running a red light is dangerous in the first place and really stupid

Running a red light is indeed bad. I don't do that and don't condone that.

To my knowledge and from what I've heard, you can also get a ticket for crossing the intersection while its yellow. Sounds ridiculous at first blush, but I can easily see a cop or a judge ruling in favor of a ticket here if it appears even a centimeter of the car might've been in the intersection right when it turned from yellow to red due to the angle of the traffic camera, even though the light was yellow for 99.9% of the time the car was in the intersection.

Moreover, to me this is a gross invasion of privacy. I mean really think about it...camera's patrolling our every move on the road...sounds very 1984 to me. So I have no shame in fighting this legislature. Not 1 bit.

Back to my original reason for posting this...yea I heard of the Mythbusters episode. It seams that applied mainly to sprays. Did they also bust the covers as well? Were they instead unable to bust the covers? Any folks on these boards used either the spray or the covers before?

Retrax is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, 2003 Escalade EXT

There are some pretty big radar detector forums out there who get together and test detectors, laser jammers, etc. they don't have much good to say about sprays or covers. Check them out. Lots of info if you are interested.

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

It blows my mind that municipalities are still putting up these red light cameras.

Many years ago here in the Charlotte area, the city spent millions of tax dollars putting up these cameras only to have a few years later shut off, yep they are still up there, but are not working. It seems that way to many people fought them in court and won.

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by jnrsesv
    It blows my mind that municipalities are still putting up these red light cameras. Many years ago here in the Charlotte area, the city spent millions of tax dollars putting up these cameras only to have a few years later shut off, yep they are still up there, but are not working. It seems that way to many people fought them in court and won.
    same here in los angeles, how you beat a camera is beyond me lol

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

LOL!! Local Fox 13 did a test here a few years back and proved the cameras still got the pictures just as clear. NO effect whatsoever.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

If a red light camera is your biggest worry your in for a surprise
    The onstar system can be tracked also they know if your not wearing your seat belt
    Along with you vehicle info they can tell how fast your going and other things so I think a red light camera should be the least of your worries

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    If a red light camera is your biggest worry your in for a surprise
    The onstar system can be tracked also they know if your not wearing your seat belt
    Along with you vehicle info they can tell how fast your going and other things so I think a red light camera should be the least of your worries
    Gotta love big brother.

Has any of that...Onstar or wtvr...actually been used to write tickets? Not gonna lie, that's ridiculous in my opinion they're allowed to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by dsciola
    Gotta love big brother. Has any of that...Onstar or wtvr...actually been used to write tickets? Not gonna lie, that's ridiculous in my opinion they're allowed to do that.
    Not sure but it would make someone day bad if they caused a hit and run as it can track the vehicle and depending on the year can even slow it down

I agree that its ridiculous that they can spy on people and get away with it but the government has that kind of power which is stupid really

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man
    Not sure but it would make someone day bad if they caused a hit and run as it can track the vehicle and depending on the year can even slow it down I agree that its ridiculous that they can spy on people and get away with it but the government has that kind of power which is stupid really
    yeah technology is way before its time and either they wont, don't or cant use it

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by wesyder View Post
    same here in los angeles, how you beat a camera is beyond me lol
    Most of the camera tickets that I've read about people beating had to do with wrongful conduct by the camera operators. I lived outside of L.A. for 10 years and read about San Diego (IIRC) having thrown out a lot of tickets several years back due to the camera operator decreasing the yellow light to the bare mandated minimum, cutting 50% off the yellow duration set by the traffic engineers for that particular road. I believe a few other municipalities across the country had the same problem with the operators.

They also cause accidents that wouldn't otherwise occur. Here in the D.C. area we have them in the MD and VA areas along the border, along with D.C. In Alexandria one was installed at a, 'dangerous intersection' and the police department bragged about decreasing serious T-bone accidents. When pressed by reporters they had to admit that rear end accidents increased pretty dramatically but discounted it by following up with the rear-end accidents are less dangerous than side impact accidents. I know I've almost been nailed a few times over the years because of a camera intersection. I'll nail the brakes on a yellow to avoid getting nailed in one of these revenue generators. Big performance brakes are good for my stopping but don't do much for the guy behind me.

Traffic cameras are a revenue generator, not a safety device. They are operated by private companies for the municipalities and are paid on a per-ticket basis. The cameras are placed in areas that generate the most revenue to the owners and the municipality, not the most dangerous intersections (those aren't profitable). If it really were about safety then the problem could be addressed by delaying the green light by a second or two to allow any late yellow and early red traffic to clear the intersection. You'll never prevent the accident caused by someone running a several second long red light, but that's not what these red light cameras were designed for, they're made to nail the person who either chooses or is forced to cross a late yellow light.
    SC2150 and CTSCHICK like this.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Well put wake. They found shortened yellow intervals here where say the speed limit is 35 mph, but traffic during rush hour rarely exceeds 20 MPH so they get a ton of tickets as there is no way entering the busy intersection on green as it changes to yellow.

Good description!
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.