Help needed w/LED switchback turn signals on '03 EXT
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Help needed w/LED switchback turn signals on '03 EXT in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Everything worked fine on my truck with the regular bulbs but I changed the DRL's to LEDs and also changed ...
    Retrax is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade EXT

Help needed w/LED switchback turn signals on '03 EXT

Everything worked fine on my truck with the regular bulbs but I changed the DRL's to LEDs and also changed the parking light/turn signal bulbs to an amber/white switchback bulb. I wired in a 6 ohm load equalizer between the positive and negative wires on the turn signal circuit to eliminate hyper flash.

The parking lights light up white and then change to flashing amber when I use the turn signal. The problems I am having are with the white parking light circuit and never the amber flashing part. If I put on the brakes, the parking lights go out and then come back on when I release the brake pedal. When I use a turn signal, sometimes the other side parking light will turn off. Whenever the parking lights turn back on after the brake pedal is released, or the turn signal is deactivated the white parking lights will "strobe" or flicker about three to five times before staying lit.

If I disconnect the load equalizers and put the old light bulbs back in, everything works fine. Is there some compatibility issue with running the switchback led's in this generation escalade? Is there some type of Canbus problem? Do I need to wire something differently? If I can't get this fixed, I'll have to go back to regular bulbs because strobing white lights to the front will be a traffic violation issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Try the load equalizers on both the running light and turn and see if the issue goes away

chazman62 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade AWD

Re: Help needed w/LED switchback turn signals on '03 EXT

Another thing to try is to install a diode in the (+) wire of the white parking light circuit.
    I've heard of LED lights feedingback some weird signals and messing up if the vehicle is not originally designed to have them.

Both good suggestions. I wonder what spec diode I should try. The other thing I thought of was cutting the power wire to the parking light wire and powering it through a dedicated relay. I am still holding out hope someone here has tried these and got them to work on an 03 to 06

chazman62 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Retrax View Post
    I wonder what spec diode I should try.
    Diode goes by amp rating. Find out what amperage the subject circuit draws.

In case this helps anybody else, the problem is resolved. I bought my Tower II led DRL's from autolumination and paired them up with 80 watt Cree led white amber switchback bulbs. The Cree bulbs have a front lens that looks like a mini projector bulb on the front for the white and ambers on the sides of the bulbs. Those bulbs caused the problems outlined in my first post so I tried the same style in 50 watt but they behaved the same way.

I ordered some 20 led Tower II switchbacks and tried those. They work perfectly. The Tower II switchbacks function a bit differently though. The Crees would turn completely Amber and flash amber on/amber off when signaling and then switch back to white. The Towers alternate amber/white amber/white when signaling a turn. The Towers match my Tower DRL's perfectly which look to me like more of a 6000 K white whereas the Crees are more of a pure white 4300K.

The Crees put all of their white light projecting forward whereas the Towers have the LEDs all around when white and when amber so they fill up the reflector better. I think the method that the Cree bulbs used to switch to a turn signal mode was confusing the circuitry in my EXT. Since the Tower bulbs never really turn off, they function properly. The load equalizers were still needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrax
    In case this helps anybody else, the problem is resolved. I bought my Tower II led DRL's from autolumination and paired them up with 80 watt Cree led white amber switchback bulbs. The Cree bulbs have a front lens that looks like a mini projector bulb on the front for the white and ambers on the sides of the bulbs. Those bulbs caused the problems outlined in my first post so I tried the same style in 50 watt but they behaved the same way. I ordered some 20 led Tower II switchbacks and tried those. They work perfectly. The Tower II switchbacks function a bit differently though. The Crees would turn completely Amber and flash amber on/amber off when signaling and then switch back to white. The Towers alternate amber/white amber/white when signaling a turn. The Towers match my Tower DRL's perfectly which look to me like more of a 6000 K white whereas the Crees are more of a pure white 4300K. The Crees put all of their white light projecting forward whereas the Towers have the LEDs all around when white and when amber so they fill up the reflector better. I think the method that the Cree bulbs used to switch to a turn signal mode was confusing the circuitry in my EXT. Since the Tower bulbs never really turn off, they function properly. The load equalizers were still needed.
    I would love a link for those as this very issue is keeping me from changing my whole truck to led on the exterior

Cadillac Man,

Here are the links. Each page has a lot of items on it so I'll give you the description on what I bought.

For DRL's, ----Light Tower II 3157 replaces 3057 3155 3357 3457 4157, 20 Wide Angle Oval LEDS, These Bulbs have Advanced Patent Pending Control Circuitry Found in no Other LED Bulbs, These are the most advanced led bulb assemblies ever produced. 15 side facing LEDS - 5 forward facing LEDS. Super White, 3157 $17.99 each. The bulbs are about half way down the page...
    http://autolumination.com/3157_3156.htm

For front parking/front turn signal bulb----20 LED Tower II, Amber-White (AW) *Make sure you select 3157 Wedge from the "Type" dropdown list otherwise it defaults to "1157 Bayonet" and you will get the wrong bulb! $20.99 each. These bulbs are about 1/3 down the page in a column of three bulbs listed as "20 Led Tower II 30 Led SMT Tower Style (25% brighter) 48 Led SMT Tower Style (25% brighter)" I was curious about the bulbs listed as brighter but I had read where others had success with the Tower II as a DRL and they are close in brightness to the stock bulb so I stayed with the Tower II. This 20 LED Tower II Amber-White (AW) is the exact match for my above listed Light Tower II that I used for my DRLs.
    http://www.autolumination.com/switchback.html

Now for the load equalizers. I am only using the LED turn signals up front so I went with 100 Watt 6 Ohm equalizers (one for front left, one for front right). If you are running LED turn signals on the front and rear, you need four load equalizers (front left, front right, rear left, and rear right) BUT they have to be 3 Ohms each instead of 6 Ohm. It was explained to me that the 50 Watts would work, but the 75 Watts are slightly larger in physical size and run cooler, and the 100 Watt ones are a little larger yet and run the coolest. There was only a difference of a few dollars so I went with the 100 Watt. The load equalizers are about 2/3 down on this page. Again, watch those drop down boxes to make sure you order what you want.
    http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm

These guys ship really fast. I went with V-Leds for my interior stuff, but I am happy with both vendors. Excellent quality. There was a post either here or on the Avalanche Owner's website where a member did a lot of research with bulb circuitry and discovered the Tower II was specifically designed to address the high voltage fluctuations which were frying other LED DRL bulbs.

Hope this helps you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrax
    Cadillac Man, Here are the links. Each page has a lot of items on it so I'll give you the description on what I bought. For DRL's, ----Light Tower II 3157 replaces 3057 3155 3357 3457 4157, 20 Wide Angle Oval LEDS, These Bulbs have Advanced Patent Pending Control Circuitry Found in no Other LED Bulbs, These are the most advanced led bulb assemblies ever produced. 15 side facing LEDS - 5 forward facing LEDS. Super White, 3157 $17.99 each. The bulbs are about half way down the page... http://autolumination.com/3157_3156.htm For front parking/front turn signal bulb----20 LED Tower II, Amber-White (AW) *Make sure you select 3157 Wedge from the "Type" dropdown list otherwise it defaults to "1157 Bayonet" and you will get the wrong bulb! $20.99 each. These bulbs are about 1/3 down the page in a column of three bulbs listed as "20 Led Tower II 30 Led SMT Tower Style (25% brighter) 48 Led SMT Tower Style (25% brighter)" I was curious about the bulbs listed as brighter but I had read where others had success with the Tower II as a DRL and they are close in brightness to the stock bulb so I stayed with the Tower II. This 20 LED Tower II Amber-White (AW) is the exact match for my above listed Light Tower II that I used for my DRLs. http://www.autolumination.com/switchback.html Now for the load equalizers. I am only using the LED turn signals up front so I went with 100 Watt 6 Ohm equalizers (one for front left, one for front right). If you are running LED turn signals on the front and rear, you need four load equalizers (front left, front right, rear left, and rear right) BUT they have to be 3 Ohms each instead of 6 Ohm. It was explained to me that the 50 Watts would work, but the 75 Watts are slightly larger in physical size and run cooler, and the 100 Watt ones are a little larger yet and run the coolest. There was only a difference of a few dollars so I went with the 100 Watt. The load equalizers are about 2/3 down on this page. Again, watch those drop down boxes to make sure you order what you want. http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm These guys ship really fast. I went with V-Leds for my interior stuff, but I am happy with both vendors. Excellent quality. There was a post either here or on the Avalanche Owner's website where a member did a lot of research with bulb circuitry and discovered the Tower II was specifically designed to address the high voltage fluctuations which were frying other LED DRL bulbs. Hope this helps you out.
    Got the links I won't need the equalizers for the rear as I have aftermarket led taillights I may get some LEDs for the back up lights(not sure)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.