xm vs. sirius
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, xm vs. sirius in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi all. I was just wondering what the difference is between the Sirius SCC1 tuner and the Audiovox SXV200 XM ...
    cashmereDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac DTS, 2004 Cadillac Escalade

xm vs. sirius

Hi all.

I was just wondering what the difference is between the Sirius SCC1 tuner and the Audiovox SXV200 XM tuner other than thefact one is for sirius and one is for xm.

Since my 04 escalade did not come with sat radio (there is no xm tuner box behind the glove box) I wanted to add it.

I'm a little skeptical of buying a used factory xm tuner because who knows how long it will last and I would have to get it's memory cleared so it could learn my vin, otherwise I would get the "xm locked" message.

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by cashmereDTS
    Hi all. I was just wondering what the difference is between the Sirius SCC1 tuner and the Audiovox SXV200 XM tuner other than thefact one is for sirius and one is for xm. Since my 04 escalade did not come with sat radio (there is no xm tuner box behind the glove box) I wanted to add it. I'm a little skeptical of buying a used factory xm tuner because who knows how long it will last and I would have to get it's memory cleared so it could learn my vin, otherwise I would get the "xm locked" message. Thoughts/comments? Thanks
    I have tuners with both services(got used) and both offer the same service and programming but the channel lineup is different between the two

Factory tuners aren't a good used purchase

Re: xm vs. sirius

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    I have tuners with both services(got used) and both offer the same service and programming but the channel lineup is different between the two

Factory tuners aren't a good used purchase
    Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking the same thing. What are you using as a head unit to control the tuner?

wesyder is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing. What are you using as a head unit to control the tuner?
    channels changed a while back, should be the same now

Quote Originally Posted by wesyder
    channels changed a while back, should be the same now
    Uh I will have to check next time I use it

----------

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing. What are you using as a head unit to control the tuner?
    I have a Sirius tuner controlled via the factory head unit

Here is a link to the tuner I have
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001P61WSM

wesyder is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man
    Uh I will have to check next time I use it ---------- I have a Sirius tuner controlled via the factory head unit Here is a link to the tuner I have http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001P61WSM
    channel lineup is also available on their site

Quote Originally Posted by wesyder
    channel lineup is also available on their site
    I know but I haven't been on the site for either in some time

Uh I will have to check next time I use it

----------

I have a Sirius tuner controlled via the factory head unit

Here is a link to the tuner I have
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001P61WSM
    Is your factory head unit a touch screen nav unit? If so, does the controll come from the left side buttons of head unit or on screen touch screen choices?

Is your factory head unit a touch screen nav unit? If so, does the controll come from the left side buttons of head unit or on screen touch screen choices?
    Yes I have the touch screen nav unit

The controls are on the screen work presets the hard button select the source and audio and setup menus

Yes I have the touch screen nav unit

The controls are on the screen work presets the hard button select the source and audio and setup menus
    Thanks. But I have another question lol.

Does the model number/brand/ of the tuner dictate what information the head unit receives? (You gave a link to a Sirius SIRGM1 tuner and you said that the touch screen is used to pick and operate functions for adjusting. I'm looking to get a Sirius SCC1 as part of the following package;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sirius-satel...ht_5923wt_1050

Do you think the tuner (Sirius SCC1) will send the same messages to a GMT 800 TNR, allowing the touch screen to be functional in making adjustments like your set up?)

My apologies if this question is too particular.

Thanks. But I have another question lol. Does the model number/brand/ of the tuner dictate what information the head unit receives? (You gave a link to a Sirius SIRGM1 tuner and you said that the touch screen is used to pick and operate functions for adjusting. I'm looking to get a Sirius SCC1 as part of the following package; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sirius-satel...ht_5923wt_1050 Do you think the tuner (Sirius SCC1) will send the same messages to a GMT 800 TNR, allowing the touch screen to be functional in making adjustments like your set up?) My apologies if this question is too particular.
    Those add on units work the same reguardless of the factory radio
    I know as I have had both styles of radio

Those add on units work the same reguardless of the factory radio
    I know as I have had both styles of radio
    I see what you are saying. Just wondering which tuner would be more compatible in our vehicles. Although older, the SIRGM1 was specifically designed for our vehicles compared to the SCC1 which is a universal tuner. After talking to a hardware technican at Sirius, she recommended the SIRGM1. She did not speak very highly of the SCC1 because of its less than desirable track record for compatibility and longevity. Having said that, there are probably much more SCC1 tuners in use meaning the potential for more faulty units just based on numbers.

I see what you are saying. Just wondering which tuner would be more compatible in our vehicles. Although older, the SIRGM1 was specifically designed for our vehicles compared to the SCC1 which is a universal tuner. After talking to a hardware technican at Sirius, she recommended the SIRGM1. She did not speak very highly of the SCC1 because of its less than desirable track record for compatibility and longevity. Having said that, there are probably much more SCC1 tuners in use meaning the potential for more faulty units just based on numbers.
    I have the sirgm1 tuner and it works no problem my dad has one in his h2(already installed before he got the truck)and it works great and no issues

I did have to replace the harness for mine but I got a bad harness when I got mine

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.