Escalade Shopping
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Escalade Shopping in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hello everyone, I'm very happy to have found this forum! I am in the process of shopping for a (new ...
    nanette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None ... yet.

Escalade Shopping

Hello everyone,

I'm very happy to have found this forum! I am in the process of shopping for a (new to me) Escalade and I have some questions.

I have a budget limitation of about $10,000 and I have a fairly specific idea of what I am looking for. The difficult part is that in looking around Ive read that the first few model years (till 2003) are not as well thought out as those that come later 2004 and on. My budget limits me to about a 2004 or 2005 based on the shopping that I have done so far.

What I want to confirm (if possible) is whether or not there is really truth to the rumors about those earlier model years? I may be able to make some repairs on my own, but I dont want to have to spend bank right out the gate.

Just looking for some general opinions/advice on the above topic or anything else that you think I need to know before buying.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by nanette
    Hello everyone, I'm very happy to have found this forum! I am in the process of shopping for a (new to me) Escalade and I have some questions. I have a budget limitation of about $10,000 and I have a fairly specific idea of what I am looking for. The difficult part is that in looking around Ive read that the first few model years (till 2003) are not as well thought out as those that come later 2004 and on. My budget limits me to about a 2004 or 2005 based on the shopping that I have done so far. What I want to confirm (if possible) is whether or not there is really truth to the rumors about those earlier model years? I may be able to make some repairs on my own, but I dont want to have to spend bank right out the gate. Just looking for some general opinions/advice on the above topic or anything else that you think I need to know before buying. Thanks
    The 03 and up have hid low beams which is great
    Different interior(02's is unique to that year) the ones before 02 were (gasp) badge engineered gmc yukons

Audio system is better on the 03+(02 isn't bad either but the radio isn't double din and won't work with the nav system that the 03+ can have)

Onstar is digital capable(03 is digital ready and is digital on 04+ the 02 and older are analog only)

As far as problems they can happen on any year vehicle a service history can be got from any gm dealer(warranty only unless it was the dealer that did all of the service) also carfax will miss on some stuff

If you need to know any more just post and if I can't help someone else can

Re: Escalade Shopping

Thank you so much. I'm going to go look at a couple of them over the weekend... I'm sure I will have more questions. I'll take some photos as well so you all can see.

Jophusp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Escalade XS-500

Do not be afraid of the 03 Model year, it was a very well thought out Vehicle, and by no means inferior to an 04-05. Nearly Identical, save a few very minor cosmetical differences. There are quite a few on the market, and you could probably get one with fewer miles for about the same price. Test drive, and compare for yourself though. As Cadillac Man said, You could run into problems in any vehicle, Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jophusp
    Do not be afraid of the 03 Model year, it was a very well thought out Vehicle, and by no means inferior to an 04-05. Nearly Identical, save a few very minor cosmetical differences. There are quite a few on the market, and you could probably get one with fewer miles for about the same price. Test drive, and compare for yourself though. As Cadillac Man said, You could run into problems in any vehicle, Good Luck!
    I agree I have a 03 and it has been a great vehicle

I will admit I had some problems but it would have happened to anyone at anytime on any vehicle

Otherwise a great running and stable vehicle for its age
    Plus side the 03s are cheap now and being a well took care vehicle mine was like new minus the drivers side seat showing slight wear

Ive been reading around and am still *really*on the fence with this truck... I love it, its gorgeous and what I want but I've read about tons and tons of repairs (including trans replacement) prior to 100,000 miles... this isn't "normal" for most well-made cars. I've read that the trans replacement isnt uncommon.

I have a 2002 BMW with zero major repairs in all the years I have had it.

Any "well-known" issues to look for with this truck? I just read a thread that showed a rusted out fuel pump... really? So anyway, any additional insight would be great. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by nanette
    Ive been reading around and am still *really*on the fence with this truck... I love it, its gorgeous and what I want but I've read about tons and tons of repairs (including trans replacement) prior to 100,000 miles... this isn't "normal" for most well-made cars. I've read that the trans replacement isnt uncommon. I have a 2002 BMW with zero major repairs in all the years I have had it. Any "well-known" issues to look for with this truck? I just read a thread that showed a rusted out fuel pump... really? So anyway, any additional insight would be great. Thank you
    Stuff like that is not common with all escalades I haven't had to have the tranny replaced nor was my fuel pump rusty
    Stuff like that seems common with larger rims and places that have a lot of salt

Get it and enjoy it

Skier-24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV, White Diamond Pearl

fuel pump rusty?

Isn't the fuel pump in the tank?

Mine has its share of rust underneath but it is only surface rust.
    Transmission filter and fluid change would prevent most transmission issues.
    Still very satisfied with my ESV.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier-24
    fuel pump rusty? Isn't the fuel pump in the tank? Mine has its share of rust underneath but it is only surface rust. Transmission filter and fluid change would prevent most transmission issues. Still very satisfied with my ESV.
    Mine wasn't rusty which surprised me

I did some research on this. It looks like the rust issue is the top of the fuel pump module. Not the fuel pump itself. I have replaced several fuel pumps and never seen anything like this. But I have been driving Fords since 1994. I am going to try to take a look at mine with a mirror .

Every Vehicle out there, and I mean Every Model, has had some cars roll off the lot with problems. Shit Happens. What I Looked at before I bought an Escalade was Hundreds of Consumer reports, at Least 9 out of 10 were positive, and most complaints were "too Big", or "Bad on Gas" Reliability Compared to other full size SUV out there has been a good point for the Escalade.

Bad on Gas? Actually it is better than my Expedition. I get 19 mpg on the highway regularly.

Too big? That's funny. Some of us need a large vehicle. Traveling as a group in one vehicle instead of three saves gas. Towing, etc. But it is not my daily driver. I have a 36 mpg Mercury Tracer for that.

Big, hard on gas bull crap those people must have not seen a hummer h1

I get up to 23 highway depending on speed

Also these trucks are great for trips where you can take one vehicle vs three smaller vehicles

It was not me saying those things fellas. My point was, out of the VERY FEW complaints out there about the Escalade, most are preferential, rather than Factual. I get 19 Highway, and average 13.4 90% City driving, and with 5 kids, I fill her up!

Big, hard on gas bull crap those people must have not seen a hummer h1

When I was looking for mine, I was comparing them to a Ford Excursion, since I had been a Ford guy. Excursion with a gas V10 gets a realistic 11 mpg.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.