Escalade Shopping - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Escalade Shopping in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by Skier-24 Big, hard on gas bull crap those people must have not seen a hummer h1 When ...
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier-24
    Big, hard on gas bull crap those people must have not seen a hummer h1 When I was looking for mine, I was comparing them to a Ford Excursion, since I had been a Ford guy. Excursion with a gas V10 gets a realistic 11 mpg.
    Ouch that is worser then the hummer(any of them)

chazman62 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade AWD

Re: Escalade Shopping

My lifetime (87K miles) MPG is 15.5 according to the dash.
    When I did round trip between Los Angeles and San Francisco (900-mile trip), I averaged 18 MPG.

Mods are (whether related to MPG or not):
    > True dual exhaust system with two cats and two Flowmaster mufflers.
    > Reflashed ECU
    > K&N drop in filter (not sure if it does any good, but did it because it's reusuable).
    > 20" wheels.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by chazman62
    My lifetime (87K miles) MPG is 15.5 according to the dash. When I did round trip between Los Angeles and San Francisco (900-mile trip), I averaged 18 MPG. Mods are (whether related to MPG or not): > True dual exhaust system with two cats and two Flowmaster mufflers. > Reflashed ECU > K&N drop in filter (not sure if it does any good, but did it because it's reusuable). > 20" wheels.
    There is two trip meters and both are resettable I would use the avg under the fuel menu(pump button) as it is resettable

chazman62 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade AWD

Forgot to mention.
    I use my Esc mostly for towing (boat trailer) or carrying extra cargo only.
    With 6.0L motor and for its size, I think the mpg I'm getting is quite reasonable.
    My previous tow vehicle, 2001 Dodge Dakota 4.7L V8, averaged only 15-16 mpg anyway also - but it's no way close to being luxurious.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by nanette View Post
    Ive been reading around and am still *really*on the fence with this truck... I love it, its gorgeous and what I want but I've read about tons and tons of repairs (including trans replacement) prior to 100,000 miles... this isn't "normal" for most well-made cars. I've read that the trans replacement isnt uncommon.

I have a 2002 BMW with zero major repairs in all the years I have had it.

Any "well-known" issues to look for with this truck? I just read a thread that showed a rusted out fuel pump... really? So anyway, any additional insight would be great. Thank you
    I bought my 05 with 83K miles, I found out it has a rebuilt transmission in it. I know a couple of people with full size Tahoes, Yukons, and trucks that also had to have the trans replaced before 100K miles. The GM 4 speed automatic has always been a weak spot on any of their RWD vehicles with V8s. I'm not sure how the newer 6 speeds are doing but they seem to hold up better from what I'm reading (came out in 06 with some cars) and the current generation Escalade is using a 6 speed automatic as well. My STS-V has the 6 speed automatic and it's holding up well at 92K miles.

It doesn't surprise me about the rust on the fuel pump ring, my Trailblazer suffered from the same issue. I believe it is a recall item though since it is a safety issue. I've dropped a couple of fuel tanks on other vehicles and see exactly how it happens. The pump housing has to fit flush with the top of the tank so it can mount to the body so it's recessed a little bit, the salt water (snow states) gets splashed up there and doesn't drain well.

You mentioned a $10K budget. I haven't looked at them in a couple of years since I bought mine. Back then I paid $16K and that was the cheapest one I found in a 100 mile radius that wasn't neglected, 120K+ miles, dirty, or all of the above. I saw a couple for $10K-$12K and ran away from each of them. If they need work it's expensive. Suspension, rear A/C repairs, electrical problems will kill you in repairs if you get a problem truck. Hope you find a good one, just try to be subjective about the condition of the vehicle you buy so you don't regret it later.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.