how to improve mileage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, how to improve mileage in Cadillac Escalade Forums; hey guys i am new to cadillac. i want to get more mile out of my 2003 escalade. does adding ...
    caddypimpin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

how to improve mileage

hey guys i am new to cadillac. i want to get more mile out of my 2003 escalade. does adding a throttle body spacer help. i figure it would. how about an intake? which intake is the best for the caddy? Volant or some other brand. dont want it to loud but want one that is not restricted. what else can i do to get better miles?

thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Welcome aboard Mr. Pimp! As for intakes, I have read that steel tubed intakes retain too much heat, and heat is the enemy of horsepower, so I would go with a K&N Filtercharger Injection Generation 2 or FIPK. I'm not sure if Volant are steel or plastic, but I think AIRAID intake systems makes one for your application, but it is in steel. According to AIRAID, "dyno-testing has resulted in gains as high as 18 hp, with no other changes or modifications."

AIRAID also makes a throttle body spacer for your application that causes a spinning action of the incomming air.

Geez, doesn't your tank have enough hp??

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
    Volant is plastic as well and is built much better than the K&N (I had two K&N's) Volant also makes less noise than K&N at all throttle positions. Adding a free flow exhaust and a computer programmer along with a good intake will help your mileage some, but you do have a 6000 lb truck, so you may pick up a mile or two per gallon, but that's it.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: how to improve mileage

Anything you do to change the A/F ratio will be corrected for by the PCM and therefore made worthless. The only ways I know to improve MPG is to improve power output so you can get the same level of performance with a lower throttle angle, change the PCM programming to cause "permanent" drivetrain changes, or re-gear the truck.
    The problem with the first idea is that once you boost performance, chances are you'll just use it to go faster and thereby end up using MORE fuel. The second idea is okay but COULD cause an issue with emissions. The third idea would be the safest all the way around but the truck would be LESS powerful and you probably don't want that.
    In the end, there's a lot of LITTLE things you can do that way help such as watching your driving habits, using the highest octane fuel you can, keeping the air pressure as high as possible in your tires, change the air filter often, etc, etc. Get the idea? In the end, like hcvone said, it's a big heavy truck that is well-known for poor gas mileage.

Damien_1F9STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Arrow

katshot, you're on the money fella! Could not have said it better myself, another tip is to ensure you are not carrying around needless items in your vehicle like full bottle's of Windsheild wiper fluid, oil etc etc..keep the extra weight to a minimum. Also you can keep your beast real clean and waxed at all time and lower the drag on it.

Other than that, you purchased a big beast so Like myself and the rest of us, I am sure you can afford the fuel, as it was not an obvious concern at signing of your purchase...

DAMien

caddypimpin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

thanks guys. i wouldnt drive it fast because i have a wrx that puts out 320 horses. i just want to save a mile or two on gas per gallon. so a throttle body spacer is useless? i dont want to race this truck i just want a couple miles....i am new to the caddy market. how are the dealers. my dealer is a ass. they never cleaned out car, never filled fluids, and all this other stuff. i have no idea how nothing works. where can i find out how to use all my options?

i like the truck but i noticed that the leather got wrinkled up within a week of use. is this common?

Damien_1F9STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by caddypimpin
    thanks guys. i wouldnt drive it fast because i have a wrx that puts out 320 horses. i just want to save a mile or two on gas per gallon. so a throttle body spacer is useless? i dont want to race this truck i just want a couple miles....i am new to the caddy market. how are the dealers. my dealer is a ass. they never cleaned out car, never filled fluids, and all this other stuff. i have no idea how nothing works. where can i find out how to use all my options?

i like the truck but i noticed that the leather got wrinkled up within a week of use. is this common?
    Hey my ‘Pimpin’ Bro’; As far as the spacer is concerned, forget’bout it! When you install it, it has been known to create a whistling effect. As this was the case on my previos vehicle, a Yukon with a 5.3, I found myself always being on the throttle to hear the nice whistle it gave off on acceleration/cruise speed. So, in that case I didn’t save gas and the guys at the speed shop said everyone said the same thing.

As far as Dealers are concerned, hit and miss, depends on your area hopefully someone here can recommend a location to you. As well you can call GM800 Customer Service and enquire as to the various dealers and level of complaints against them. They will advise who is best in your area are far as Customer Ratings and satisfaction.

As far as your options in the Vehicle, I am not sure what you mean by this, “options”...and how to use them???
    I would assume on a need to use basis...I guess, I don’t mean to sound goofy, but I don’t quite follow what you mean in that regard…

The leather situation, I have not personally experienced such quick leather wrinkling thus far, but at the same time, I am in a different climate than you and here its to damn chilly for the leather to want to stretch or wrinkle for that matter. In warmer climate’s, it is not uncommon for the leather to go through harsher wear and tare.

Hope this help, if you need anything else or you want to correct me in your meaning of Options, I am awaiting your post.
    Good Luck and its nice to have you aboard by the way as you stated you are a new Cadi-Owner.

DAMien

speedyguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

More Volume plus Colder volume = More power

If you do get a spacer and have a computer change already then get one that caries temperature merits. An aluminum TB will transfer the engine temp quite nicely.

Spinning the air around makes noise that’s all. lol

On the old carburetors the swirl was somewhat beneficial mixing fuel and air better but on your truck it is a gimmick.

I would never buy a nice truck like that for fuel economy and putting your foot into a monster like that is all about how much roar you get. I would get a computer mod and a ceramic-coated intake. Plastic air boxes are a joke without proper insulation. Volant makes a great product but the plastic pipe is only directing the air not protecting it from the engine temp. Buy Volant for the looks and seamless system but for HP merit be ready to cover it with wrap.

There is a computer option available for your truck...DO Not go with super chips. I can steer you in the direction of a company who does custom computers for a great price and they actually work.

They also offer the dual program option so you can have the fuel economy and the play mode. The only issue with a dual option is the computers learn cycle still exists.

You have one of Cadillac’s finest vehicles and I would say it’s more about flash anyway so put your energy into that leather issue and rims.

If you really want a good first engine mod try this:

Just optimizing and ceramic coating your stock exhaust headers will increase the trucks efficiency a lot more than any intake. It will also improve the emissions even with a high flow cat. Use a stock K&N replacement filter in tandem and you have a real mod with many great benefits.

Have fun.

Ty

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.