Which sensor is this???? 2005 Escalade ESV
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Which sensor is this???? 2005 Escalade ESV in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I just finished replacing my valve cover gaskets and I noticed this sensor absolutely coated in oil. I didn't think ...
    jtkirk5598 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Which sensor is this???? 2005 Escalade ESV

I just finished replacing my valve cover gaskets and I noticed this sensor absolutely coated in oil. I didn't think the valve cover gaskets looked all that bad when I replaced them, so I am curious if maybe this sensor is leaking oil. My thoughts are it is either the oil pressure sending unit or a coolant temp switch. Either way, if anybody knows, please tell me. As you can see, it is in the front top of the driver's side head right next to the power steering pump. Any help would be appreciated!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Looks like the coolant temp sensor. The oil on it came from above it, not from it.

If it is the CTS, that is definitely the case. I haven't noticed any oil smell in the short amount of operating temp driving I have done. There appeared to be some random seepage to the exhaust manifold in various places, but nothing as exorbitant as what you see on that particular sensor. So far so good!

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    Looks like the coolant temp sensor. The oil on it came from above it, not from it.
    +1..

I still detect oil burning off the exhaust. Looks like it is coming from the top front of the engine. I have to re-remove the shrouds to get a more specific location. Any ideas? Does the intake manifold carry an oil channel that could be seeping?

Quote Originally Posted by jtkirk5598
    I still detect oil burning off the exhaust. Looks like it is coming from the top front of the engine. I have to re-remove the shrouds to get a more specific location. Any ideas? Does the intake manifold carry an oil channel that could be seeping?
    did you clean the engine afterwards?

No, but I have since. Still appears to be oily up front. I had a friend with the 6.0 L in a Chevy van, and he had a problem where he had the intake gasket cause massive oil burning, so that's why I want to know if oil pressure flows though the intake. Up front I saw the camshaft position sensor. That whole area of the engine is coated in sludge. I will be taking the plastic shrouds off the engine this weekend and Re-examine where the leak is.

TLMC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 1969 ss396 chevelle

Re: Which sensor is this???? 2005 Escalade ESV

That is the cts sensor. The camshaft sensor is in the rear next to the oil pressure sensor, looking at the engine from the front the oil is on the right and cam on the left. The oil leak you have is from the valley cover under the intake plenum. If you take off the intake make sure you replace the Knock sensors as well as they are known to go bad. there is a seal under them as well.

That makes sense. I was unable to get a good look at the sludge covered sensor. Does GM sell a gasket kit specific to this repair? If so, do you have the part number? Thanks for your valuable input!

TLMC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 1969 ss396 chevelle

Re: Which sensor is this???? 2005 Escalade ESV

They do but its not a kit. Ask for lifter valley cover gasket and knock sensor gaskets.

I see I can get just the lifter valley gasket and obviously the intake gasket as well. How many knock sensors does the 6.0L have in 2005?

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    I see I can get just the lifter valley gasket and obviously the intake gasket as well. How many knock sensors does the 6.0L have in 2005?
    The 6.0 has 2 no matter what year

Turns out the oil seepage was remnants from bad valve cover gaskets. After thoroughly cleaning the engine, the leak has not returned. Everything is as it should be. Thanks for helping me learn about the GM V-8 gassers.

Turns out the oil seepage was remnants from bad valve cover gaskets. After thoroughly cleaning the engine, the leak has not returned. Everything is as it should be. Thanks for helping me learn about the GM V-8 gassers.
    cool

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.