2005 ESV with sudden tranny problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2005 ESV with sudden tranny problems in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I bought this Escalade from a friend about 2 months ago. No problems, serviced regularly. Last night, tranny started heating ...
    mikeycole72 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV

2005 ESV with sudden tranny problems

I bought this Escalade from a friend about 2 months ago. No problems, serviced regularly. Last night, tranny started heating up and slipping some. Dash read "transmission hot" and wouldn't accelerate. I pulled over for a while and then it started driving again. Drove 5 miles to my work, was driving fine until the last half mile when it started slipping again. I checked the fluid, which was low and let it cool off for an hour. I filled the fluid, then it was delayed getting into gear and then didn't want to shift out of first. I let it cool off overnight. This morning, it shifted into 1st and reverse just fine, shifted into 2nd and then 3rd when I pulled onto the road, but then started slipping and is back to 1st gear only. Help please!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Primetime1267 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade
    Best thing to do is drop the pan and check the trans filter .. did the fluid smell or looked burnt? It should still have a cherry red color if good. Or take take to a shop and put it on a scanner to check for codes .. Hopefully it was just low and need a fluid flush and filter change. Let us know what u find. Good luck bro !!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Re: 2005 ESV with sudden tranny problems

How low was the fluid?

I'm no expert on the tranny but usually if it starts slipping it's either time for a rebuild if you have burnt fluid, or it could be as simple as a solenoid gone bad in the valve body which is much easier and cheaper to fix. The tranny hot message you received though isn't very encouraging, slipping creates heat which just cascades into more trans problems.

I bought my 05 in 2011 and at 83K miles it already had the tranny replaced when I purchased it. The automatics in GM has always been a weak point in their heavier SUVs.

It was 1.5 quarts low. I always park where I can check and have not seen any fluids where I park, so it may have been low for a while. The fluid looks OK on the dipstick. I am going now to get a new filter and gasket so I can open up the bottom and get a better look.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeycole72
    It was 1.5 quarts low. I always park where I can check and have not seen any fluids where I park, so it may have been low for a while. The fluid looks OK on the dipstick. I am going now to get a new filter and gasket so I can open up the bottom and get a better look.
    If is red and clean then it might have been replaced at some point and filed to the wrong amount
    Mine was like that and I filled it and so far it hasn't acted up since
    FYI replace the filter if its shifting funny as it can cause those issues

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by mikeycole72 View Post
    One other thing to mention with my Escalade. It has a rebuilt tranny that I stated before, it will occasionally show a little low. It boggled my mind for a bit as I didn't see any stains in the driveway. One day I pulled the fill plug on the transfer case and quite a bit of fluid came out. I think on mine I have a rear seal leak on the tranny and the extra fluid is making it's way to the transfer case. I've had that happen twice in about 10K miles in the last two years (not driven much). Since you can't overfill the transfer case that's really the only explanation.

Update: What a pain in the ass getting the cable bracket off of the tranny to take off the pan... Anyway, Filter was ugly, not an unexpected amount od fines on the bottom attached to the magnet. One of the two shifting solenoids was a lot looser than the other one. I'm guessing the O-ring is not holding so I am about to replace both of them before putting it all back together. Thoughts? and Thanks!

Update: What a pain in the ass getting the cable bracket off of the tranny to take off the pan... Anyway, Filter was ugly, not an unexpected amount od fines on the bottom attached to the magnet. One of the two shifting solenoids was a lot looser than the other one. I'm guessing the O-ring is not holding so I am about to replace both of them before putting it all back together. Thoughts? and Thanks!
    Wouldn't hurt since you have the pan dropped

OK. So I replaced the filter and both shifting solenoids. It's better in 1st and 2nd gear but starts slipping in 3rd. It seems like I'm pretty much up a creek here. 180,000 miles on it. Used?, rebuilt? Best place to get one. I'm thinking a local shop that I hear good things about. Can this tranny be from any GM with the 460 in it?

Thanks again fellas.

OK. So I replaced the filter and both shifting solenoids. It's better in 1st and 2nd gear but starts slipping in 3rd. It seems like I'm pretty much up a creek here. 180,000 miles on it. Used?, rebuilt? Best place to get one. I'm thinking a local shop that I hear good things about. Can this tranny be from any GM with the 460 in it? Thanks again fellas.
    A 4L65E is the tranny model in your truck

If you know a good shop you could get it rebuilt

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man
    A 4L65E is the tranny model in your truck If you know a good shop you could get it rebuilt
    is he awd i thought the 65 only came in awd

Quote Originally Posted by wesyder
    is he awd i thought the 65 only came in awd
    From what I have been told by my uncle it was in both versions

Mine is a all wheel drive though with the HD towing package

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.