First Caddy, Many Questions 2000 Escalade
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, First Caddy, Many Questions 2000 Escalade in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hello gentlemen and ladies, my name is Tyler and I just purchased a 2000 Escalade with 90k miles. It is ...
    ChiTownTy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Escalade

First Caddy, Many Questions 2000 Escalade

Hello gentlemen and ladies, my name is Tyler and I just purchased a 2000 Escalade with 90k miles. It is extremely clean, rust free and runs like a champ. There is little that it needs to be perfect, everything is in great working condition, even the after market auto starter. I have a few questions and your answers/ opinions would be greatly appreciated!

1. Most importantly what parts are known to fail first on these vehicles? At 90k miles, what should I look to replace first?

2. I seem to have a couple instrument cluster lights and 4x4 switch lights burnt out. I searched, cant find a thread teaching me how to tear apart the dash to get to those.

3. I am an avid user on the BMW forums and they are quite helpfu, stocked with information. This forum is not organized very well with all generations of escalade conglomerated into the same page. The stickie threads also dont have much information pertaining to the 2000 escalade. Maybe someone can steer me in the right direction. Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mitch2264 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade Platinum

Re: First Caddy, Many Questions 2000 Escalade

Hi Tyler,
    Congrats on your Escalade! A 2000 would be the older bodystyle (matches the 96-99 Tahoe/Yukon) if I am not mistaken. I believe you would have the 5.7 liter (350 CI) engine with a 4L60E transmission. I had a 99 Suburban that was this platform and I also currently have a 97 Sierra truck, same set up engine & transmission wise. I can tell you that the intake manifild gaskets are notorious for failure---not a matter of "if", but "when". With yours having 90K on the clock, it has [I]probably [I]been replaced. Do keep an eye out for that. The only other areas of grief would be the a/c compressor is prone to leaks (google HT6 Belly leaker). I had to replace on each of mine. The 4L60E transmission can casue giref too. Mine blew out at 60,000 on the Suburban--it was maintained and not abused! However the truck seems okay at 130,000 on the clock.

As far as help with the 4X4 switches, you may have better results with a Chevy truck forum. My personal favorite forum is at chevytalk--

Your new ride sounds sweet!

Thanks,
    Mitch

CT's_Ride is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

I have a 2000 as well that i am trying to take care of some issues. I do like that they share a lot of the same gm parts. My 4x4 selector also has the lights out, BUT when i press the panel down around the switches the 2wd indicator lights up. So i do not think it's the bulb but maybe a loose connection? I haven't had the chance to get in there yet, but hopefully I can find some answers on the forums somewhere.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by CT's_Ride
    I have a 2000 as well that i am trying to take care of some issues. I do like that they share a lot of the same gm parts. My 4x4 selector also has the lights out, BUT when i press the panel down around the switches the 2wd indicator lights up. So i do not think it's the bulb but maybe a loose connection? I haven't had the chance to get in there yet, but hopefully I can find some answers on the forums somewhere.
    Replace the switch as they are prone to wear out with age

CT's_Ride is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Thanks for the tip Cadillac man, that's what I'll do.

Yes thank you for that bit of info Cadillac man.

How about any ideas for this rough idle I am having? It feels and sounds like a vacuum leak but clears up as soon as I accelerate. It was not there when I bought the car but today it triggered a check engine light. Could this be the notorious intake manifold gaskets you mentioned? My buddy is going to hook it up to his scanner tomorrow and we will try to diagnose. Any tips from you guys would be helpful too.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTy
    Yes thank you for that bit of info Cadillac man. How about any ideas for this rough idle I am having? It feels and sounds like a vacuum leak but clears up as soon as I accelerate. It was not there when I bought the car but today it triggered a check engine light. Could this be the notorious intake manifold gaskets you mentioned? My buddy is going to hook it up to his scanner tomorrow and we will try to diagnose. Any tips from you guys would be helpful too.
    Pull the intake ductwork off and clean the throttle body and the rough idle will clear up(been there done that) I had mine die on me when I was in the middle of the road as I was turning onto another road(not fun)
    Two clamps hold the intake ductwork in place listen those and the ductwork should slip of the intake box and the throttle body

Now the check engine light will have a code so get the codes and report back and I will help to find out what it is

Thanks allot sir! I appreciate it! I should scan it by friday, im pretty busy tomorrow with the bears game and all.

BEAR DOWN!

So I scanned my car today Cadillac guru, maybe you could tell me what im looking at.
    We came up with error codes po155 and po300. I believe the first one is the oxygen sensor, not sure which, and the po300 code is for a misfire. Maybe you could elaborate on that one. Thanks man.

So I scanned my car today Cadillac guru, maybe you could tell me what im looking at. We came up with error codes po155 and po300. I believe the first one is the oxygen sensor, not sure which, and the po300 code is for a misfire. Maybe you could elaborate on that one. Thanks man.
    P0155 is H02S heater performance bank 2 sensor 1

P0300 is engine misfire detected

Sounds like a 02 sensor is malfunctioning and causing a misfire due to inaccurate readings from that sensor
    I think it is the left front sensor(left manifold forward of the convertor)

Cool thanks man. I hope I can figure it out with the description you gave me. Are there 4 oxygen sensors on these vehicles??

Cool thanks man. I hope I can figure it out with the description you gave me. Are there 4 oxygen sensors on these vehicles??
    Yep two per side

So my truck has been running great since the o2 sensor replacement, thanks again. My concern now is during this cold weather and the transmission kind if knocking when switching from drive to reverse and park and such...I'm use to driving stick so I don't get any of that smacking feedback from automatic transmissions. Am I worrying to much? Shifts perfectly smooth while driving through gears. Is it just because it is 20 degrees out? I want to change my tranny fluid eventually because I didn't get any history with the car and I don't know if it's been done. How should I go about this? I'm assuming there would be some gaskets to change as well

Unless its leaking I wouldn't worry about the seals

The tranny fluid and filter should be changed if you tow a lot or the fluid is dark

FYI just have the fluid and filter changed do not have the tranny flushed as it am cause negative effects(seen where some had the tranny fail due to that)

Tranny fluid changed and I already noticed a huge difference. Not like it was super rough before, but it seems stress free now.

Another issue, my heat in my cabin does not seem to be getting as hot as it should and my water temp gauge is reading a continuous 100 degrees. Could my thermostat be stuck open not allow my engine to heat up to the right temperature? Today it's like 6 degrees in Chicago, and I can't go on any longer.

Thanks for your time Cadillac Man!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.