Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Rolex 
#1 ·
I Have a 2002 ext. I recently brought it in for the 30,000 service....lately i have been getting 10.9 to 11.1 miles per gallon driving in the city...(NYC)
I was wondering if a tune up would help or should i get the K&N air filter to help me with my gas milage....besides when are we suppose to get a tune up on the escalades?
thank you in advance

#3 ·
Check the fuel filter. When I got my truck it had 43k on it and I was getting about 10-11mpg in NYC as well. I mentioned it to my service advisor when getting an oil change and he said he would check the fuel filter, sure enough it was clogged. Changed that and I started to get 13-14 in the city, 16+ on the highway depending on how lead my foot is...:lildevil:

#7 ·
I replaced the plugs on my '00, 5.7L at about 55,000 miles. The old plugs looked really good, so I didn't notice any improvements in mpg.

However, I usually notice an improvement when I chage oil. I use Redline & change every 9,000 to 10,000 miles. I don't think that the oil has lost its friction additives, but I suspect that in 10,000 miles the viscosity may have changed. I have seen other articles that document the viscosity chages of synthetic oil as the miles add up. This doesn't hurt the engine, but I suspect it affects the mph.

#9 ·
Swapping over to synthetic fluids may also help your mileage, albeit a small amount. You might give your engine a clean with Sea-Foam...one can in the gas tank and one can in the crankcase. It's the best engine cleaner on the market IMHO, and it may help a little (it certainly won't hurt).:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.