Cold Start Multiple Cylinder Misfire
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Cold Start Multiple Cylinder Misfire in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have a 2005 Escalade 6.0L with 109k miles. The truck has run flawlessly up through two weeks ago, now ...
    jedidiah012 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Escalade

Cold Start Multiple Cylinder Misfire

I have a 2005 Escalade 6.0L with 109k miles. The truck has run flawlessly up through two weeks ago, now has developed multiple cylinder misfire and flashing engine light. This only happens after the vehicle sits overnight or at least 10 hours (normally doesn't do it after a 9 hour work day, but the temp here in TX doesn't generally go below 90 until evening). This clears up after warming up and doesn't come back until it sits for long enough. No other codes have shown up yet. I have run through a fresh tank of gas and tried some fuel additive as well, but no luck. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by jedidiah012
    I have a 2005 Escalade 6.0L with 109k miles. The truck has run flawlessly up through two weeks ago, now has developed multiple cylinder misfire and flashing engine light. This only happens after the vehicle sits overnight or at least 10 hours (normally doesn't do it after a 9 hour work day, but the temp here in TX doesn't generally go below 90 until evening). This clears up after warming up and doesn't come back until it sits for long enough. No other codes have shown up yet. I have run through a fresh tank of gas and tried some fuel additive as well, but no luck. Any thoughts?
    Possible seeping injector filling a cylinder with fuel while sitting, then when you start, that cylinder misfires until it gets the excess fuel out

Re: Cold Start Multiple Cylinder Misfire

That's a good thought, but I think that would mainly affect one cylinder, right?

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    That's a good thought, but I think that would mainly affect one cylinder, right?
    True

That would, yes, but i have seen many random or multiple misfire codes stem from one cylinder, for your sake i would hope its only one cylinder

Skier-24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV, White Diamond Pearl

Keep a close eye on your oil. Smell it. If it is leaking into the cylinders, gas can get past the rings and dilute the oil.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Quote Originally Posted by Skier-24 View Post
    Keep a close eye on your oil. Smell it. If it is leaking into the cylinders, gas can get past the rings and dilute the oil.
    Or even better, have an oil sample analyzed by someone like Blackstone Labs. They can tell you how much fuel is getting in the oil, if any.

Thanks for the input. I would think that there should be some misfiring after sitting any amount of time if it were fuel leaking into a cylinder. Also, I just changed the oil a couple days ago and it was the right consistency and smell, no signs of fuel contamination.

I have two thoughts at this point. First, I was talked into quad tip platinum plugs when I changed them about 6 months ago, which I think was a mistake. The truck hasn't been quite as peppy since. I think I will trade them out for some stock AC Delco's.

Second, I'm thinking that it might be an almost bad sensor, not quite bad enough to get a separate code, but just bad enough to cause some issues. I have heard that bad O2 sensors can cause cold misfires, not sure if that is true or not. I might just go ahead and start changing them too.

Thanks for the input. I would think that there should be some misfiring after sitting any amount of time if it were fuel leaking into a cylinder. Also, I just changed the oil a couple days ago and it was the right consistency and smell, no signs of fuel contamination.

I have two thoughts at this point. First, I was talked into quad tip platinum plugs when I changed them about 6 months ago, which I think was a mistake. The truck hasn't been quite as peppy since. I think I will trade them out for some stock AC Delco's.

Second, I'm thinking that it might be an almost bad sensor, not quite bad enough to get a separate code, but just bad enough to cause some issues. I have heard that bad O2 sensors can cause cold misfires, not sure if that is true or not. I might just go ahead and start changing them too.
    Get those crap plugs out of your truck and get some gm professional iridium plugs(I got those and my truck is smooth)

Now you need a tech-2 or a scanner that can read data streams from the sensors(such as the 02 sensors) but most cases I seen the 02 sensors fail it causes the truck to act different

I wonder if you have a bad coil for that plug as those also can cause misfire codes
    Find out which plug it is and try a different coil pack

TLMC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Escalade 1969 ss396 chevelle 1967 GTO

You need to have the truck scanned,if the multiple misfire is on one bank 2468 or 1357 you have a bad catalytic converter. When the check engine light flashes your supposed to shut the engine down. the truck has a right and left converter. They can be tested with a vacuum gauge. If they are bad you will need to replace o2 sensors as well.

All of your input has been great, thanks!

Here's the update...

Changed out the Bosch plugs for stock Delcos and its fixed. Not only is the misfire fixed, but my gas mileage has improved significantly too! For the first time in 30k miles (about 25k of which was on the original Delcos) I'm getting 14/18 rather than 12/15! Consider changing out your originals sooner than later as my fuel economy was between 10-12/14-15 since 70k miles.

Thanks all
    Jed

Here's the update...

Changed out the Bosch plugs for stock Delcos and its fixed. Not only is the misfire fixed, but my gas mileage has improved significantly too! For the first time in 30k miles (about 25k of which was on the original Delcos) I'm getting 14/18 rather than 12/15! Consider changing out your originals sooner than later as my fuel economy was between 10-12/14-15 since 70k miles.

Thanks all
    Jed
    Yeah if i would of known, the bosch would have been first to go

Here's the update...

Thanks all
    Jed
    Bosch sucks
    I got gm professional iridium plugs and couldn't be happier(I was getting the same mileage before I did my tune up)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.