2006 Escalade hits bumps hard
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2006 Escalade hits bumps hard in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have a 2006 Escalade which I bought used. It rides well unless I hit a pothole or frost heave ...
    Stanford is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade

2006 Escalade hits bumps hard

I have a 2006 Escalade which I bought used. It rides well unless I hit a pothole or frost heave in the road surface, then it rattles everything in the vehicle and bounces things (including passengers) off the seats. Any other vehicle I have owned, including heavy duty trucks, has handled these situations better than this vehicle, so there is obviously something wrong. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford
    I have a 2006 Escalade which I bought used. It rides well unless I hit a pothole or frost heave in the road surface, then it rattles everything in the vehicle and bounces things (including passengers) off the seats. Any other vehicle I have owned, including heavy duty trucks, has handled these situations better than this vehicle, so there is obviously something wrong. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Does it have factory or aftermarket shocks?

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Re: 2006 Escalade hits bumps hard

Is the truck lifted? I wonder if someone cranked the torsion bar keys up.

My 05 rides pretty crappy. I'm getting ready to rebuild the entire front end this fall when the humidity finally goes away.

NoExpert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

It's 7 almost 8 years old. If it's still riding on the original suspension it's worn out. (Way past) time to replace some shocks & struts.

That's my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by NoExpert
    It's 7 almost 8 years old. If it's still riding on the original suspension it's worn out. (Way past) time to replace some shocks & struts.

That's my 2 cents.
    I agree worn out shocks ride like pure crap and makes the truck handle terrible I know that first hand

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    I agree worn out shocks ride like pure crap and makes the truck handle terrible I know that first hand
    I think shocks are a crap shoot with these trucks. I swapped mine out at 84K miles and noticed no difference in ride. The stock shocks seemed to still be fine. My friend has an 06 Denali (same shocks) with 170K miles on the originals and they're not worn out. Her truck rides very nice with no suspension work ever done on it. I'm very surprised at the luck with her truck. Original trans, no work done, and she's horrible with maintenance. She goes a few thousand miles beyond 0% oil life, never serviced the diffs or transfer cases, etc. Her truck other than cosmetically is better than mine with almost twice the mileage. The only thing she's had done was the air compressor that I did for her. I looked her truck over while doing the replacement and don't see the cracking of the bushing on her high mileage truck that I have on mine.

I plan on a full suspension rebuilt this fall when it cools down, new everything up front and rear. The bushings don't look so good at 90K miles on my truck, I see a lot of rubber has cracked, the gearbox had some play, and I have some play in the ball joints and tie rod ends.

Quote Originally Posted by wake

I think shocks are a crap shoot with these trucks. I swapped mine out at 84K miles and noticed no difference in ride. The stock shocks seemed to still be fine. My friend has an 06 Denali (same shocks) with 170K miles on the originals and they're not worn out. Her truck rides very nice with no suspension work ever done on it. I'm very surprised at the luck with her truck. Original trans, no work done, and she's horrible with maintenance. She goes a few thousand miles beyond 0% oil life, never serviced the diffs or transfer cases, etc. Her truck other than cosmetically is better than mine with almost twice the mileage. The only thing she's had done was the air compressor that I did for her. I looked her truck over while doing the replacement and don't see the cracking of the bushing on her high mileage truck that I have on mine.

I plan on a full suspension rebuilt this fall when it cools down, new everything up front and rear. The bushings don't look so good at 90K miles on my truck, I see a lot of rubber has cracked, the gearbox had some play, and I have some play in the ball joints and tie rod ends.
    Mine was like night and day difference from my old shocks
    The ride improved and was a lot smoother from what it was(I had both rear shocks ruptured)
    My bushings are always checked and every grease fitting is greased every oil change(which I do at 26% oil life left)
    I have the front and rear differentials checked at the same time

Btw my mileage is 170,000+ and I just rubbed a bottle of seafoam through the tank and it made the truck drive a lot better

I know I baby my truck

John P is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade 6.0
    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man

Mine was like night and day difference from my old shocks
    The ride improved and was a lot smoother from what it was(I had both rear shocks ruptured)
    My bushings are always checked and every grease fitting is greased every oil change(which I do at 26% oil life left)
    I have the front and rear differentials checked at the same time

Btw my mileage is 170,000+ and I just rubbed a bottle of seafoam through the tank and it made the truck drive a lot better

I know I baby my truck
    Why 26%?

Quote Originally Posted by John P

Why 26%?
    Dealer recommended it plus I don't like going the full 7500 miles between oil changes

Its around 5700 miles but I idle my engine a lot during the winter and summer

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I have an 06 AWD that has a similar problem. Started as an excessive vibration when I hit a bump, and now it the whole vehicle will randomly shake even on smooth roads. Within the last 10,000 miles I have replaced every suspension component to include ALL bushings, bearings, hubs and shocks to no avail. I've brought it to two Cadillac dealers and they both assumed it "just rides rough because it's lowered". I have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure this out for over six months and noone has been able to pinpoint the source. If what I described sounds similar to your symptoms and you find a solution, please update this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedyk43 View Post
    I have an 06 AWD that has a similar problem. Started as an excessive vibration when I hit a bump, and now it the whole vehicle will randomly shake even on smooth roads. Within the last 10,000 miles I have replaced every suspension component to include ALL bushings, bearings, hubs and shocks to no avail. I've brought it to two Cadillac dealers and they both assumed it "just rides rough because it's lowered". I have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure this out for over six months and noone has been able to pinpoint the source. If what I described sounds similar to your symptoms and you find a solution, please update this thread.
    I sure hope I don't go through replacing everything and find myself in your position. I also wonder if the torsion bar suspension could be suspect. Do these things ever wear out? With a 6000lb vehicle I wonder if those would be worth looking at replacing. Even with new shocks (aftermarket Monroe) it almost feels like there's no real resistance in the suspension on rough or uneven roads.

Out of curiosity did you only do the front suspension? Mine seems to also have a little shimmy in the back over bumps on curved roads. I replaced the lower control arms in the back and I'm thinking about doing the panhard bar as well since that controls the lateral movement in the rear. It almost feels like the back end, 'wags'.

I sure hope I don't go through replacing everything and find myself in your position. I also wonder if the torsion bar suspension could be suspect. Do these things ever wear out? With a 6000lb vehicle I wonder if those would be worth looking at replacing. Even with new shocks (aftermarket Monroe) it almost feels like there's no real resistance in the suspension on rough or uneven roads.

Out of curiosity did you only do the front suspension? Mine seems to also have a little shimmy in the back over bumps on curved roads. I replaced the lower control arms in the back and I'm thinking about doing the panhard bar as well since that controls the lateral movement in the rear. It almost feels like the back end, 'wags'.
    Did you replace the coil springs??

Did you replace the coil springs??
    No, my problem seems to be more in the front of the vehicle, the rear just has that little wag/shimmy making me think it might be the panhard bar. I am wondering about changing the front torsion bars though, the truck rides horribly in the front.

No, my problem seems to be more in the front of the vehicle, the rear just has that little wag/shimmy making me think it might be the panhard bar. I am wondering about changing the front torsion bars though, the truck rides horribly in the front.
    The shocks maybe but I doubt the torsion bars is the cause
    When they fail they have to be replaced but you would know it as the truck would sit (a lot)lower on one side in the front

The shocks maybe but I doubt the torsion bars is the cause
    When they fail they have to be replaced but you would know it as the truck would sit (a lot)lower on one side in the front
    I thought so too originally. Replaced the shocks with Monroe passives for that vehicle, no change in ride which is what is making me suspect the torsion bars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.