2006 Escalade hits bumps hard - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2006 Escalade hits bumps hard in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by wake I thought so too originally. Replaced the shocks with Monroe passives for that vehicle, no change ...
    the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by wake

I thought so too originally. Replaced the shocks with Monroe passives for that vehicle, no change in ride which is what is making me suspect the torsion bars.
    Monroe shocks(except oem) isn't highly rated on ride comfort

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade

Re: 2006 Escalade hits bumps hard

Quote Originally Posted by wake View Post
    I sure hope I don't go through replacing everything and find myself in your position. I also wonder if the torsion bar suspension could be suspect. Do these things ever wear out? With a 6000lb vehicle I wonder if those would be worth looking at replacing. Even with new shocks (aftermarket Monroe) it almost feels like there's no real resistance in the suspension on rough or uneven roads.

Out of curiosity did you only do the front suspension? Mine seems to also have a little shimmy in the back over bumps on curved roads. I replaced the lower control arms in the back and I'm thinking about doing the panhard bar as well since that controls the lateral movement in the rear. It almost feels like the back end, 'wags'.
    I did the rear as well. New rear shocks and energy suspension bushings. I do believe I have finally found the problem though. Last week I changed out the front and rear driveshaft u-joints and it didn't seem to do much good. However they were pretty tight when I installed them and now that the u-joints have broken in, the shaking has changed. It now feels like the driveshaft is out of balance. So after a closer inspection, I found that the front end of the rear driveshaft has a slight wobble to it. I'm assuming that I bent it a little when pressing in the new u-joints. I will try straightening it tomorrow, but I'm pretty optimistic that the initial problem was the driveshafts were shaking the car because they couldn't move freely (u-joints). I'll post back tomorrow and let you know what I find.

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade

Well it turns out that it was the u-joints on the rear drive shaft. The new ones I had installed were a little too tight and causing the whole car to still shake. After removing them and ever so slightly prying the yoke open a tiny bit more, they were able to move freely and my shaking is gone... damn it took a long time to figure this one out. I can't believe that two Cadillac dealerships were unable to identify this problem. You know what they say, "If you want it done right, you've gotta do it yourself..."

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedyk43
    Well it turns out that it was the u-joints on the rear drive shaft. The new ones I had installed were a little too tight and causing the whole car to still shake. After removing them and ever so slightly prying the yoke open a tiny bit more, they were able to move freely and my shaking is gone... damn it took a long time to figure this one out. I can't believe that two Cadillac dealerships were unable to identify this problem. You know what they say, "If you want it done right, you've gotta do it yourself..."
    So true

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by mikedyk43 View Post
    Hello mikedyk43,

I am sorry you had to deal with an ongoing issue for an extended period of time with two dealers unable to identify the problem. I see you were able to figure the issue out on your own and install the u-joints on the rear drive shaft. I am glad you were able to resolve your concern.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by mikedyk43 View Post
    Very interesting. I'll be shocked if that is all that is wrong with mine.

My transmission has been out before (Jasper rebuild) before I bought it. I wonder if that's all it is.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.