What's this "scan tool" the factory service manuals keep referring to? Tech 2?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, What's this "scan tool" the factory service manuals keep referring to? Tech 2? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; So I've noticed that when it comes to pretty much fixing ANYTHING electrical on my 03' ESV, the factory service ...
    YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

Question What's this "scan tool" the factory service manuals keep referring to? Tech 2?

So I've noticed that when it comes to pretty much fixing ANYTHING electrical on my 03' ESV, the factory service manual specifys you to plug in the "scan tool" and use it to run certain tests.

My refresh/recirculate door actuator for example, is one of those, and the only way it says to test it out for functionality is to use the said tool.

Now i have a Cheap OBD-2 scanner that i can use to pull and reset codes, but it doesn;t do much other than that. Is this other one they are talking about a GM tech 2 scanner?

I have seen some of them selling in kits for over $3000, while i have also seen ones that go for around $370 or so. If thats the one i need i am thinking that i would like to have one of those for the old' girl!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by YoshiMan
    So I've noticed that when it comes to pretty much fixing ANYTHING electrical on my 03' ESV, the factory service manual specifys you to plug in the "scan tool" and use it to run certain tests.

My refresh/recirculate door actuator for example, is one of those, and the only way it says to test it out for functionality is to use the said tool.

Now i have a Cheap OBD-2 scanner that i can use to pull and reset codes, but it doesn;t do much other than that. Is this other one they are talking about a GM tech 2 scanner?

I have seen some of them selling in kits for over $3000, while i have also seen ones that go for around $370 or so. If thats the one i need i am thinking that i would like to have one of those for the old' girl!
    The tech-2 is what the gm dealers use just make sure it is the latest software version and does work with gm as there are other versions of the same unit
    YoshiMan likes this.

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT

Re: What's this "scan tool" the factory service manuals keep referring to? Tech 2?

It is the dealer / factory scan tool. It allows you access to every system on the vehicle. Stuff like ABS, air bags, ride control etc. The list is endless. It also allows bidirectional control..so you can turn things on/off for testing. You can turn things on/off like ABS pumps and fuel injectors etc.

It does quite a bit more then a read only powertrain code reader.

Strange but true...there are Chinese knock offs being sold on eBay. Original units can be manufactured by Hewlett Packard, Vetronix, or Bosch. Original units may use a GM, Vetronix, Bosch, OTC, Mac Tool, or Saturn logo.

I attached a picture of a rare 'Saturn' logo one.

As for the fake ones...one guy in California got a year in jail and about a $400,000 fine for selling fake GM Tech 2s on eBay. Not because they were fake, but because they had the GM logo on them. Copyright violation.

The Tech 2 cannot access the vehicle black box crash data stored in the air bag SDM. It's true...there is a big brother, event data recorder, EDR, black box in your Escalade.

Logan Diagnostic
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Logandiagnostic
    It is the dealer / factory scan tool. It allows you access to every system on the vehicle. Stuff like ABS, air bags, ride control etc. The list is endless. It also allows bidirectional control..so you can turn things on/off for testing. You can turn things on/off like ABS pumps and fuel injectors etc.

It does quite a bit more then a read only powertrain code reader.

Strange but true...there are Chinese knock offs being sold on eBay. Original units can be manufactured by Hewlett Packard, Vetronix, or Bosch. Original units may use a GM, Vetronix, Bosch, OTC, Mac Tool, or Saturn logo.

I attached a picture of a rare 'Saturn' logo one.

As for the fake ones...one guy in California got a year in jail and about a $400,000 fine for selling fake GM Tech 2s on eBay. Not because they were fake, but because they had the GM logo on them. Copyright violation.

The Tech 2 cannot access the vehicle black box crash data stored in the air bag SDM. It's true...there is a big brother, event data recorder, EDR, black box in your Escalade.

Logan Diagnostic
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    Make that two modules the onstar auto dials when you have a crash

I think it can pull the crash data I will have to check my gm service manual to see for sure but I haven't looked at the airbag section since I got it

Re: What's this "scan tool" the factory service manuals keep referring to? Tech 2?

The Tech 2 cannot pull the crash data. To pull the crash data requires a Bosch CDR tool. I know because I have a Tech 2 and a CDR tool.

The scan tool is considered a 'diagnostic' tool...the CDR tool is a 'forensic' tool. They really don't want dealerships getting involved with cases that need the crash data.

Most GM publications barely mention the crash data. The factory service manual may mention that the SDM is recording crash data, and mention about special equipment needed, but does not get into specifics. The other is the owners manual statement about EDRs.

This is the owners manual statement for a 2001 Deville:

"Your vehicle is equipped with an electronic frontal sensor, which helps the sensing system distinguish between a moderate frontal impact and a more severe frontal impact. Your vehicle is also equipped with a crash sensing and diagnostic module, which records information about the frontal air bag system. The module records information about the readiness of the system, when the system commands air bag inflation and driver's safety belt useage at deployment or near-deployment crash. The module also records speed, engine rpm, brake and throttle data."

Not too long ago...pulled 68 pages of crash data out of a 2010 Camaro SDM. We've been doing them for about 10 years..

Trying not to spam but you can pretty much find all you need to know about GM (and others) black boxes here: www.airbagcrash.com
    Attached Images

The Tech 2 cannot pull the crash data. To pull the crash data requires a Bosch CDR tool. I know because I have a Tech 2 and a CDR tool.

The scan tool is considered a 'diagnostic' tool...the CDR tool is a 'forensic' tool. They really don't want dealerships getting involved with cases that need the crash data.

Most GM publications barely mention the crash data. The factory service manual may mention that the SDM is recording crash data, and mention about special equipment needed, but does not get into specifics. The other is the owners manual statement about EDRs.

This is the owners manual statement for a 2001 Deville:

"Your vehicle is equipped with an electronic frontal sensor, which helps the sensing system distinguish between a moderate frontal impact and a more severe frontal impact. Your vehicle is also equipped with a crash sensing and diagnostic module, which records information about the frontal air bag system. The module records information about the readiness of the system, when the system commands air bag inflation and driver's safety belt useage at deployment or near-deployment crash. The module also records speed, engine rpm, brake and throttle data."

Not too long ago...pulled 68 pages of crash data out of a 2010 Camaro SDM. We've been doing them for about 10 years..

Trying not to spam but you can pretty much find all you need to know about GM (and others) black boxes here: www.airbagcrash.com
    My manual says the same I didn't know that the tech-2 couldn't read it but my local dealer also repairs wrecked vehicles but I don't know if they have one of those or not

Most GM dealers are not even aware that the SDM records crash data.

Ask a dealer if a GM car has a black box they will look at you funny. They have no idea.

Or...they respond like they think they know what you are talking about..."Uhhhmm...yeah..yeah...we have have a tool that can do that."

At the end of the day, if you need the crash data, you will need a CDR tool to do it. The Tech 2 cannot.

Most GM dealers are not even aware that the SDM records crash data.

Ask a dealer if a GM car has a black box they will look at you funny. They have no idea.

Or...they respond like they think they know what you are talking about..."Uhhhmm...yeah..yeah...we have have a tool that can do that."

At the end of the day, if you need the crash data, you will need a CDR tool to do it. The Tech 2 cannot.
    I have family that works in the auto industry and know of that box(both gm and Chrysler) now my local dealer does work on wrecked vehicles but again I am not sure if they would have the said unit(I may ask as I to take my moms 02 in for a ac compressor)

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Logandiagnostic View Post
    Here's a curiosity question for you.

When a vehicle is involved in an accident does the CDR need to be replaced or do they start working again (recording new data) after the vehicle is operated again after the repair?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiMan View Post
    The genuine units are pricey. I considered it a bargain when I found one for $2000 out of refurb from a garage about 6 years ago. Its paid for itself though as I'm maintaining and repairing 4 GM vehicles and used it on 8 different vehicles.

Something as simple as an air bag sensor becomes expensive to troubleshoot and repair without the Tech II. Getting to the BCM, entertainment system, etc is only possible through the Tech II as far as I know. The $100 scanners you find available are readers only for the powertrain and can't see anything like the airbags, stability system, etc.

The term CDR refers to the interface module tool used to pull the crash data.

On GM vehicles the air bag module is called the SDM. For 'sensing and diagnostic module.' Other manufactures call it different things. Example is Ford calls it a RCM. Anyway in all cases it's the air bag module for the vehicle.

GM service manuals are very specific that the SDM is to be replaced after any deployment event. There are companies that claim they can reset them..but you need to proceed with extreme caution using that type of service.

The real fire sale on Tech 2s were when all the GM dealers were closing. We bought 2 from a closing Saturn dealership.

The Chinese Tech 2s are all over eBay. I think most for sale on eBay are clones...They are reported as failing after a couple of months with no way to have them serviced.

I attached a pic of some fake ones being tested..
    Attached Images

The term CDR refers to the interface module tool used to pull the crash data.

On GM vehicles the air bag module is called the SDM. For 'sensing and diagnostic module.' Other manufactures call it different things. Example is Ford calls it a RCM. Anyway in all cases it's the air bag module for the vehicle.

GM service manuals are very specific that the SDM is to be replaced after any deployment event. There are companies that claim they can reset them..but you need to proceed with extreme caution using that type of service.

The real fire sale on Tech 2s were when all the GM dealers were closing. We bought 2 from a closing Saturn dealership.

The Chinese Tech 2s are all over eBay. I think most for sale on eBay are clones...They are reported as failing after a couple of months with no way to have them serviced.

I attached a pic of some fake ones being tested..
    That's a lot of tech-2s even if they are fake

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    That's a lot of tech-2s even if they are fake
    The source of that picture is unknown. It is assumed that is what you are looking at...15 fake Tech 2s sitting on the floor being tested. Really no other explanation.

The source of the picture is unknown. It is assumed that is what you are looking at...15 fake Tech 2s sitting on the floor. Really no other explanation.
    Yep that was the picture I looked at
    I have planned on getting a tech-2 at some point since there is four gm vehicles I work on(three SUVs and one car) it would come in handy(a lot better then the scan tool I have now)

If you do buy one...use caution...I'm pretty sure most on eBay are fake. Even some that are listed as being 'real' look suspicious. Bosch won't fix the fake ones.

If you do buy one...use caution...I'm pretty sure most on eBay are fake. Even some that are listed as being 'real' look suspicious. Bosch won't fix the fake ones.
    So what is the brands I need to look for to be sure its the real thing?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.