Rear View Camera
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Rear View Camera in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I'm about to purchase an 05 Escalade and my wife wants to put in a rear view camera (dealer option) ...
    rse05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Rear View Camera

I'm about to purchase an 05 Escalade and my wife wants to put in a rear view camera (dealer option) as an extra precaution we don't run over any children/family pets. Has anyone had this done and if so, where did you place the screen? We saw one with the screen (5") on the ledge above the CD changer below the climate control, but it looks kind of funny, especially since the screen serves no other purpose. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Re: Rear View Camera

Quote Originally Posted by rse05
    I'm about to purchase an 05 Escalade and my wife wants to put in a rear view camera (dealer option) as an extra precaution we don't run over any children/family pets. Has anyone had this done and if so, where did you place the screen? We saw one with the screen (5") on the ledge above the CD changer below the climate control, but it looks kind of funny, especially since the screen serves no other purpose. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
    Get the Navigation system, and then see our forum sponsor NAVI (look up at the banners). With NAVI you can input the rear view camera video straight to the navigation system.

Problem solved.

slk230mb is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade

I would definately do this if I had NAV if for no other reason than the cool factor.
    ~Steve

genovese45 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Rear View Camera Part Deux

How good is visibility w/ these reverse cameras in the evening? Or would one have to add a light to the camera? Thanks in advance.

thanks for the advice! I just hope the people the dealer outsources to do the work are a NAVI dealer! Otherwisze I think I'm going to have to go with a dash or windshield mount.

KadKat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I drove my Avalanche for a year before finally investing in this device. I did see it early in my ownership, but tried to manage without it.

I consider it an insurance deductible that I'll never have to pay if I use it all the time.

I've got the visor mount, 5.8 inch screen in living color. There are several mounting and LCD size options.

Very easy install.

SnakeEyes

Re: Rear View Camera Part Deux

I've had mine installed for a year now. With the the backup lights only in very dark places, it works just fine.

If you're in a parking lot or street with regular lighting, it's even better.

The only thing I notice is some latency at night. The darker it is, the slower the camera responds to the movement. It can look funny at night if you have a dog waging it's tail or pacing around while you're backing up.. The latency becomes very apparent.

If you have a good system, it'll work just fine.

As I think about this, it's much better than digital cameras when you move them around in low light situations.

Re: Rear View Camera Part Deux

genovese, I am going to merge this with the other thread as these two topics really don't differ that much,
    ~Steve

leap229 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Does anyone have a link to where these things are sold?

Quote Originally Posted by leap229
    Do a search on the forum, there was recently a post that had a pic and link to a kit.
    ~Steve

btw, the camera (have it connected to teh NAV) is great - even in dark garages. makes parking in NYC a lot easier too!

84caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe; 80 Le Cab; 85 Fleetwood Coupe; 03 ESV; 04 Deville

where did you guys mount your cameras? I have mine up inside the back window, but you can't see the bumper at all

any better ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by leap229

Try this for options.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.