Stability System Disabled, Engine won't turn over, Dash lights and tai lights stay on
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Stability System Disabled, Engine won't turn over, Dash lights and tai lights stay on in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hey everyone, I am in trouble! My wife was driving our 03 Escalade yesterday and called me complaining that she ...
    jburn18 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Escalade

Stability System Disabled, Engine won't turn over, Dash lights and tai lights stay on

Hey everyone,

I am in trouble! My wife was driving our 03 Escalade yesterday and called me complaining that she had lost power going up a hill. She said when the vehicle lost power the doors unlocked, it tried to die, and the service engine light popped on. She parked it and I got home to take it for a test drive. Everything seemed normal on start-up, checked all fluids, no unusual lights, other than the service ride control message which stays on since my compressor went out. For the last few months I would randomly see a Service Stability System message. Always went away, so I never pursued it. Headed out the driveway with the Escalade, seemed fine. I started up a fairly steep hill and punched it, all of a sudden, the vehicle acted like it was out of fuel, died instantly. The message center displayed "Stability System Disabled". I rolled back down the hill in neutral, and parked it. Then things got weird. I noticed the theft light was lit up, as well as the service engine light, and the traction control light. Turned the key off and back on and all previously mentioned lights remained lit up, and same message displayed. I tried to start it, but the engine would not turn over. I hear what seems to be a relay clicking when i turn the key over, but the starter never engages. I pulled it back to the house. The first thing I did was have the battery tested. It tested bad, only 200 or less cranking amps on a 1000 amp battery. Replaced the battery, and much to my dismay, no change. Also, my tail lights stay on until I unhook the battery. I filled up with fuel yesterday, so I know it's full, but the fuel gauge is reading empty. Weird. So i figured I needed to read the codes. Bought a code reader at O'Reillys. The code reader only gives me an error message. I tried it on my other two vehicles and it worked fine. I checked all fuses in both fuse boxes. No bad fuses. The closest dealer is two hours away, not that I would trust them anyway. I've got a mess on my hands! I really appreciate any help I can get.

Main Questions right now:
    1: Why wont the code reader pull the codes and how can I fix that?
    2: Why wont the engine turn over at all?
    3: What would cause the vehicle to die all of a sudden and display "Stability System Disabled"
    4: Do I have a prayer of fixing this on my own?

Thanks everyone!
    Love this forum by the way, I have used it many times but never posted anything!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by jburn18
    Hey everyone,

I am in trouble! My wife was driving our 03 Escalade yesterday and called me complaining that she had lost power going up a hill. She said when the vehicle lost power the doors unlocked, it tried to die, and the service engine light popped on. She parked it and I got home to take it for a test drive. Everything seemed normal on start-up, checked all fluids, no unusual lights, other than the service ride control message which stays on since my compressor went out. For the last few months I would randomly see a Service Stability System message. Always went away, so I never pursued it. Headed out the driveway with the Escalade, seemed fine. I started up a fairly steep hill and punched it, all of a sudden, the vehicle acted like it was out of fuel, died instantly. The message center displayed "Stability System Disabled". I rolled back down the hill in neutral, and parked it. Then things got weird. I noticed the theft light was lit up, as well as the service engine light, and the traction control light. Turned the key off and back on and all previously mentioned lights remained lit up, and same message displayed. I tried to start it, but the engine would not turn over. I hear what seems to be a relay clicking when i turn the key over, but the starter never engages. I pulled it back to the house. The first thing I did was have the battery tested. It tested bad, only 200 or less cranking amps on a 1000 amp battery. Replaced the battery, and much to my dismay, no change. Also, my tail lights stay on until I unhook the battery. I filled up with fuel yesterday, so I know it's full, but the fuel gauge is reading empty. Weird. So i figured I needed to read the codes. Bought a code reader at O'Reillys. The code reader only gives me an error message. I tried it on my other two vehicles and it worked fine. I checked all fuses in both fuse boxes. No bad fuses. The closest dealer is two hours away, not that I would trust them anyway. I cant take it to any repair shop in the area because there are none, just a couple shade tree guys who "Dont have the stuff to work on that computerized crap". Anyway, I've got a mess on my hands! I really appreciate any help I can get.

Main Questions right now:
    1: Why wont the code reader pull the codes and how can I fix that?
    2: Why wont the engine turn over at all?
    3: What would cause the vehicle to die all of a sudden and display "Stability System Disabled"
    4: Do I have a prayer of fixing this on my own?

Thanks everyone!
    Love this forum by the way, I have used it many times but never posted anything!
    Sounds like the PCM if not the bcm has failed(the first one can be ordered through a parts place the later one can not)

Since its throwing a reduced engine power mode try a replacement PCM and see if the truck starts(when mine failed it would lock out the starter to prevent me from starting the truck)

Call a parts shop and tell them you need a replacement PCM and give them the vin and the mileage(if you can read it on the info screen and the reduced engine power message can be cleared)

It is possible to fix your truck so don't give up hope yet

The PCM will lock out the starter if the PCM finds a major failure in a critical data bus that it uses with the other modules in the truck

Re: Stability System Disabled, Engine won't turn over, Dash lights and tai lights sta

Thanks for the reply! Do you think a failed PCM is preventing me from reading codes?

Thanks for the reply! Do you think a failed PCM is preventing me from reading codes?
    Good possibility it is

Re: Stability System Disabled, Engine won't turn over, Dash lights and tai lights sta

Hey cadillacman, The auto parts store told me there would be additional on-car programming required to complete the install of the pcm. If that is the case, will it be safe to make a two hour drive to the dealership for programming. This is of course if I get the part installed and the truck actually starts and runs without any other issues.

Also is the PCM also called the ECM? And is it located under the battery?

Thanks a bunch for your help!!

Hey cadillacman, The auto parts store told me there would be additional on-car programming required to complete the install of the pcm. If that is the case, will it be safe to make a two hour drive to the dealership for programming. This is of course if I get the part installed and the truck actually starts and runs without any other issues.

Also is the PCM also called the ECM? And is it located under the battery?

Thanks a bunch for your help!!
    It would be best to take it to the dealer before installing

As far as driving its up to you drive or tow which ever you feel comfortable with(I would have it towed as I hate having to sit at the side of the road)

The location of the PCM is mounted next to the battery under the plastic black cover

I am glad to help

If you need more help just post

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    It would be best to take it to the dealer before installing

As far as driving its up to you drive or tow which ever you feel comfortable with(I would have it towed as I hate having to sit at the side of the road)

The location of the PCM is mounted next to the battery under the plastic black cover

I am glad to help

If you need more help just post

Sorry Cadillac Man, just need to clarify:
    The PCM is supposed to be in tomorrow. The parts store got my VIN and Mileage and told me it was pre-programmed. Do you recommend I take the PCM itself to the dealer before I install it on the truck? Or should I install it then tow the truck to the dealership? Thanks again for your help!!

Sorry Cadillac Man, just need to clarify:
    The PCM is supposed to be in tomorrow. The parts store got my VIN and Mileage and told me it was pre-programmed. Do you recommend I take the PCM itself to the dealer before I install it on the truck? Or should I install it then tow the truck to the dealership? Thanks again for your help!!
    Nope if its preprogrammed then you would just need to swap it out

If you need some help on doing that I have a factory service manual just let me know

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

Just out of curiosity, which "parts store" did you go to for the pre-programmed computer?

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiMan
    Just out of curiosity, which "parts store" did you go to for the pre-programmed computer?
    Most can get them preprogrammed but you do have to have both the vin and accurate mileage(I found out the hard way)

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiMan View Post
    Got it from O'reilly's. It was 155, plus 70.00 to have it programmed. I'm thinking about returning it. They have used ones online for 100.00 already programmed. Do you think that would be wise or would you opt for the re-man from O'reilly's? Also, the instructions say that I have to take it somewhere (dealer I guess) for a "GM Crankshaft Variation Re-learn". Is that true? I thought the PCM would adjust itself after a few re-starts. Maybe not? Also, that factory service manual would be great! I appreciate that!

Thanks Again!

Got it from O'reilly's. It was 155, plus 70.00 to have it programmed. I'm thinking about returning it. They have used ones online for 100.00 already programmed. Do you think that would be wise or would you opt for the re-man from O'reilly's? Also, the instructions say that I have to take it somewhere (dealer I guess) for a "GM Crankshaft Variation Re-learn". Is that true? I thought the PCM would adjust itself after a few re-starts. Maybe not? Also that factory service manual would be great! I appreciate that!

Thanks Again!
    Last time I talked to a auto zone rep(before they damaged my truck) I was told that the PCM is preprogrammed and Is a plug and play kind of deal
    Also if you want a copy of the service
    Manual pm me your email address

Another thought: I haven't been able to retrieve any codes from the truck. The DLC has power (my reader powers up when I plug it in), but it gave me an error message. Does the BCM have anything to do with code reading?

alexmckinney is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade
    I just bought a 2005 Escalade on Tuesday. By Wednesday I had a similar issue. Took it back to the Caddy dealer where I bought it and their service guy found a loose ground and a short at the throttle. Fortunately for me they are fixing it right now and I should have it back today. Mine was doing all same stuff as as yours so I would suggest looking at the grounds. Seems like a common issue after a little research on my end.

Thanks, will do. I'll check ground after work. Let me know if that fixed it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.