Service Stability blinker...New Shocks...$$$?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Service Stability blinker...New Shocks...$$$? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; So a while back I had some steering wheel-related issues...specifically, my 2005 Escalade regular would tug n pull a bit, ...
    dsciola is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 white Cadillac Escalade

Service Stability blinker...New Shocks...$$$?

So a while back I had some steering wheel-related issues...specifically, my 2005 Escalade regular would tug n pull a bit, left or right, when going 60+ mph. I had it checked out by the ppl at Firestone and also at Les Schwab tire Center. Both told me same thing, which was could be 1 of 2 issues, or even both...

1 - bent/broken rim. Cost about $300
    2 - fix shock absorbers. Cost about $2500

So I crossed my fingers and just got #1 done, fixing the rim. Car has ran great since then, rims look nice as well...always a plus...and so far have had no issues...until yesterday when a yellow light with an 'S/T' on it started flashing on my dash, accompanied by a 'service stability' message on the digital read-out. My concern here is this is connected/due to my shock absorbers. Fixing the shocks apparently costs 2500 since they are electric. I'de rather not pay that much for car maintenance unless I absolutely have to. When I got the quote from Les Schwab and Firestone, both shops said best to defer fixing shocks for now, see if problem goes away, and stays away, after just fixing rim.

Any thoughts from the Cadillac community? Does it look like I have to bite the bullet and get my shocks fixed? If so, is there anyway I get a cheaper fix here?Do I absolutely have to get electric shock absorbers for a 2005 Cadillac Escalade regular? Anyway I can get 'cheaper' shock absorbers without screwing up my car?

Please ask any questions if needed. Thanks so much!

Dom

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by dsciola
    So a while back I had some steering wheel-related issues...specifically, my 2005 Escalade regular would tug n pull a bit, left or right, when going 60+ mph. I had it checked out by the ppl at Firestone and also at Les Schwab tire Center. Both told me same thing, which was could be 1 of 2 issues, or even both...

1 - bent/broken rim. Cost about $300
    2 - fix shock absorbers. Cost about $2500

So I crossed my fingers and just got #1 done, fixing the rim. Car has ran great since then, rims look nice as well...always a plus...and so far have had no issues...until yesterday when a yellow light with an 'S/T' on it started flashing on my dash, accompanied by a 'service stability' message on the digital read-out. My concern here is this is connected/due to my shock absorbers. Fixing the shocks apparently costs 2500 since they are electric. I'de rather not pay that much for car maintenance unless I absolutely have to. When I got the quote from Les Schwab and Firestone, both shops said best to defer fixing shocks for now, see if problem goes away, and stays away, after just fixing rim.

Any thoughts from the Cadillac community? Does it look like I have to bite the bullet and get my shocks fixed? If so, is there anyway I get a cheaper fix here?Do I absolutely have to get electric shock absorbers for a 2005 Cadillac Escalade regular? Anyway I can get 'cheaper' shock absorbers without screwing up my car?

Please ask any questions if needed. Thanks so much!

Dom
    Before replacing parts get the codes pulled at a gm dealer as they will tell what is most likely wrong with the system

Mine would throw a random unknown code and they updated the software for the ebcm and the error has yet to reappear (knock on wood)

Re: Service Stability blinker...New Shocks...$$$?

OK will do. Kind of confused with what you mean by 'get the codes'. Is that the codes the dash uses to tell me to service my stability? something else?

OK will do. Kind of confused with what you mean by 'get the codes'. Is that the codes the dash uses to tell me to service my stability? something else?
    Yes those codes

Re: Service Stability blinker...New Shocks...$$$?

OK. My car nube mind isn't fully getting it, but my guess is when I swing the GM dealer, they'll be able to figure it out, and hopefully not con me haha.

Thanks again!

Dom

OK. My car nube mind isn't fully getting it, but my guess is when I swing the GM dealer, they'll be able to figure it out, and hopefully not con me haha.

Thanks again!

Dom
    Go to any gm dealer and tell them you need the truck checked for trouble codes
    Once you get those codes report back to me

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.