Dealer may have used wrong transfer case fluid
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Dealer may have used wrong transfer case fluid in Cadillac Escalade Forums; So......Long story short; Took my 04 escalade 6.0 with 100k to cadillac to have the transmission, transfer case and differentials ...
    mangos86 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade

Dealer may have used wrong transfer case fluid

So......Long story short; Took my 04 escalade 6.0 with 100k to cadillac to have the transmission, transfer case and differentials drained and filled. On the receipt it says they used P/n 19286293 which is dexron VI in the transfer case. I know from reading around that this shouldn't be used in this transfer case. Called the dealer and he assured me it is fine to use in the transfer case and refused to believe otherwise. What do you guys recommend? I am going to contact the cadillac customer service people that are frequently on this forum but am I safe driving around like so until it gets sorted out? Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by mangos86
    So......Long story short; Took my 04 escalade 6.0 with 100k to cadillac to have the transmission, transfer case and differentials drained and filled. On the receipt it says they used P/n 19286293 which is dexron VI in the transfer case. I know from reading around that this shouldn't be used in this transfer case. Called the dealer and he assured me it is fine to use in the transfer case and refused to believe otherwise. What do you guys recommend? I am going to contact the cadillac customer service people that are frequently on this forum but am I safe driving around like so until it gets sorted out? Thanks guys.
    That is the wrong fluid as they used that on the hummer h2 due to the different transfer case not sure if it will hurt it or not
    Go to a different dealer and see what they say

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade

Re: Dealer may have used wrong transfer case fluid

There is a thread in the stickied DIY section from 2008 that also recommends Dexron VI for the transfer case and I know I have read elsewhere that there was a service bulletin sent out stating that GM was replacing Dexron III with VI. I just did mine not too long ago with it and I'm quite sure your vehicle will be fine. If you want to pursue trying to prove the Cadillac service engineer wrong you can, but the way I see it is if something goes wrong, and the work was done at a Cadillac dealership, you really have no worries that they will be fixing it on their dime.

mangos86 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade

Thanks guys. I don't really care to prove anyone wrong, just want to make sure my truck is going to be ok.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by mangos86 View Post
    Hello mangos86,

I just wanted to let you know I did receive your private message and I will reach back out to you that way so we can continue our interaction.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

if you have the NP8 transfer case it takes AutoTrakII fluid
    all others (NP3, NR3 & NR4) take Dexron (originally it was DexronIII but now it's DexronVI since VI supersedes III)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

On my 2003 the owners manual says to use the dexron ATF in the t-case.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by mikedyk43 View Post
    There is a thread in the stickied DIY section from 2008 that also recommends Dexron VI for the transfer case and I know I have read elsewhere that there was a service bulletin sent out stating that GM was replacing Dexron III with VI. I just did mine not too long ago with it and I'm quite sure your vehicle will be fine. If you want to pursue trying to prove the Cadillac service engineer wrong you can, but the way I see it is if something goes wrong, and the work was done at a Cadillac dealership, you really have no worries that they will be fixing it on their dime.
    I went through this last year when I changed the TC fluid. I ended up using Mobil 1 ATF that says on the label that it meets DEX III-H specifications, what our TC calls for.

I have a ton of DEX VI in the garage for the transmissions but it seems I can't find any info newer than the bulletins that say not to use DEX VI in transfer cases or manual gearboxes that specify DEX III. There is even discussion on the DIY thread you pointed out that has the same discussion but no resolution. In transmissions it's a no brainer, but the TC and gearboxes are a little different beast.

glowe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    if you have the NP8 transfer case it takes AutoTrakII fluid
    all others (NP3, NR3 & NR4) take Dexron (originally it was DexronIII but now it's DexronVI since VI supersedes III)
    I too have a 2004 Escalade ,, My transfer case has Borg/Warner insignia on the case and another stamping ,,, AZ91D ,, I was told to use Autotrak II Fluid ( There is red fluid in there right now ) ,,, Can I get some insight on this model transfer case ,,and,,,, if Autotrak II is indeed the fluid to use ??? Cheers
    Attached Images

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

As I mentioned earlier the RPO codes will tell the tale ... I can check your VIN and decode it to the RPOs if you do not know how to find your RPO codes
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.