Off-Roading with the Escalade? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Off-Roading with the Escalade? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by slk230mb I would like an AWD/2WD drive selector, my reasoning for it being left off the Escalades ...
    Xrayqueen is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Talking Re: Off-Roading with the Escalade?

Quote Originally Posted by slk230mb
    I would like an AWD/2WD drive selector, my reasoning for it being left off the Escalades is that Cadillac probably figured that the people who would buy an Escalade didn't need the ability to choose between the modes. They probably figured that the people who wanted that ability would go the Yukon/Tahoe route.
    I guess that's one of the perks of having a 2000 Lade because I have a choice between 2WD and AWD I would never think of taking Mr. Lucky any further than the road shoulder though. I don't want to trash my paint
    Peace

oliverpp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Off-Roading with the Escalade?

Quote Originally Posted by slk230mb
    I would like an AWD/2WD drive selector, my reasoning for it being left off the Escalades is that Cadillac probably figured that the people who would buy an Escalade didn't need the ability to choose between the modes. They probably figured that the people who wanted that ability would go the Yukon/Tahoe route.
    An all-wheel drive system is not the same thing as a four-wheel drive system... An Avalanche for instance has a 4-wheel-drive system, that is why it can switched off to 2WD, 4HI, 4LO. An All-wheel-Drive does not have any "modes" , all 4 wheels turn at all times...

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by CaddySheikh
    See, that's what i don't get! Just below it in the luxury hierarchy, you got your fully-loaded Denali readily available, and it has an area just right of the driver's A/C vent that houses a selector switch that responds to the driver's off-roading whims. That's because it's 6.0 is coupled with a part-time 4x4 tranny, whereas in the Escalade, the same housing is an empty orifice!

OK, fine, caddy owners are less prone to going off-road for their Starbuck's, but wouldn't it be nice to have the option of having the AWD system switched on or off?

More to the point, i drove my Escalade off-road last night, just to feel it out. It wasn't the fine sand terrain, just a couple of miles of dirt road with pockets soft sand. I was delighted to find the following:

1-I can't make any difference between the drivability of the AWD on-road or off-road. The feeling was the same, no slight pulls on the sterring wheel while cornering or turning.

2-The suspension system is a dream! On rippled dirt roads you can feel the ripples, but significantly LESS than my old Yukon, or a Mitsubishi Montero (AKA Pajero in the Middle East) or even a Ford Expedition. I drove it over sand dunes and it swiftly cruised over them like silk!

3-Switching off the Stabilitrak DOES help in forced driving on dirt roads, where you use the understeer/oversteer physics to your advantage as part of controlling the vehicle.

4-My escalade comes equipped with HID's for driving lights, but standard ones for high-beams and foglights. I found that with all three lighting systems on, there's no "significant" improvement in illuminating my dirt path at night than with just simply having the HID's on.

I'll post more remarks as i make them.

I guess you need HID's on your fog/driving lights, and high beams to go with the stock HID low beams, all I can say is you can make night time day time.

slimm44 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by oliverpp
    An all-wheel drive system is not the same thing as a four-wheel drive system... An Avalanche for instance has a 4-wheel-drive system, that is why it can switched off to 2WD, 4HI, 4LO. An All-wheel-Drive does not have any "modes" , all 4 wheels turn at all times...
    word. but AWD doesn't neccessarily turn all 4 wheels all the time. computers control it in most cars that i know of. 4WD is driver operated.

nomadgj is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 03 escalde ext. I take it elk hunting every year. I pull a trailer with quads on it back to a camp site. It is rutted and muddy in the november Utah muzzle loader hunt. I was the only vehicle out of 4 that didnt get stuck this last year. I pulled everyone elses trailers up a grade for them. We are talkin F-250 4x4s stuck in the mud ( the traction control was the weapon.) I have sense lifted it 6" and put 35" tires on it. I am going down to 33" however as the 35" ers are a bit big and rub on a turn. i'll put a pic on here.
    Attached Images

CaddySheikh is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ok, can someone please tell me what is the impact of changing the tires from stock to larger ones? I've heard rumours that the Power steering and tranny breaks down if one increased the tire sizes. If true, how can i mitigate these potential pocket-diggers?

slimm44 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

little bit larger tires won't affect anything except barely changing your speedometer reading. if you run huge tires without regearing (like me) you'll wear the tranny and steering components, among other things, quicker than with stock tires.

pimp-cadi-danny is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 ESCALADE EXT,03 HUMMER H2

i was in mexico rollin in the mud n sand dunes just south of rosarito it was a blast.
    i had the sweetest ride and it was covered in mud....what a blast the awd kicked ass and thats on my 22's

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.