"SH%TTY LUCK"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, "SH%TTY LUCK" in Cadillac Escalade Forums; So I took my truck into the dealer to get some stuff fixed this morning and get a call later ...
    outofdablue is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

"SH%TTY LUCK"

So I took my truck into the dealer to get some stuff fixed this morning and get a call later in the day from my service advisor saying that he has some "bad news". It seems after the technician finished on my truck, he backed into some machinery. To make a long story short, he basically side-swiped something resulting in damage starting from the passenger side front door all the way to the rear fender. Dealer estimates that there is $4K in damages. Obviously I am furious b/c all the hard work I put into keeping the truck looking "new" went down the drain b/c of someone else's incompetence. So my question is, has anything like this ever happened to anyone? What kind of reimbursement am I entitled to? I want them to give me a new truck, but realistically, what can I demand? Obviously, they are going to fix it, but this constitutes as an "accident" and when I go and sell the vehicle this will bring my re-sale value down. Also, should I demand they paint the whole vehicle or just the areas affected? And should I demand new body panels (rear quarter panel, doors)? Thanks for listening to me vent. Any input is appreciated.

TIA,
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Spittin Game is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E

Re: "SH%TTY LUCK"

Damn that sux! I know its not realistic but if I were you I would demand a new EXT. I mean, you didnt wreck it, their employee did. You didn't buy a truck that was wrecked and if it wasnt for him, it wouldnt be wrecked! I would be pissed!!!

RaGzEmCeE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

tell them you want a new one even thought it not going ot happen .... theyll settle for new panels new paint job all around w.e else you want make them give you cash on top ... ..... that is messed up though ... my cousin take his lade to a mechanic and he crashed while he driving to see what was wrong ... he paid for the damage and instaled a sick ass audio and video system

KadKat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

It's not likely to be reported as a wreck as it did not happen on the highway, no other vehicles were involved, the frame & drive train were not damaged, and no citations were issued. It should not show up as a warranty repair as the dealer will handle this in house at their expense. The only records of this will be your receipt.

Obviously, they'll be providing you with a vehicle to drive during the repair.

Aside from the repair, you could press for future services, if you trusted them with it again.

skides1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I would become their worst nightmare-just like they have mine. I would submit a bill for your time and be a super stickler about the repair. You know, bring it back like 10 times (demanding a lade for a loaner) for the shotty paint match- If you bring it back like 12 times, a lemon law may apply. I realize shi* happens but how does a qualified employee back a 50K$ car into something? I have an old-azz lade and something would have to be invisible for me to back into it.

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I understand your pissed, but let them try to take care of you before you make unreasonable request....would you rather get the car back like new plus really incredible and discounted service from this dealer in the future or the repairs plus a legal battle and the need for a new service shop....

Try to be reasonable, understand accidents happen. Demand that the car look exactly like it did when you brought it in, expect to be given a loaner and expect some sort of compensation for pain and suffering....maybe a few lube changes or something...

If you dont think your being treated fair dont fight with your tech go straight to the manager and talk to him and tell him you want to see how much they want to keep your business

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

I would let them repair it, and then have them sell it for you, and then work out a fair price (almost nothing) for you to pay to get a new truck, that would be fair.

I know getting a new truck is a stretch and as for future free services, I don't think I want to go back to that dealership. I was thinking of getting an extended warranty on the vehicle or getting them to add a navigation system to the truck. I think either one of these would offset any money I would loose when reselling the truck. The nav system or the extended warranty would definetly add value to the truck. I was also wondering if I traded the truck in what type of value would they give me and what type of discount would I be entitled towards the new truck. I bought the truck there so I assume they would treat me with some type of loyalty.

HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

Re: Sh*tty Luck ! ! !

Same thing happened to me with a Porsche. They had to fix the car plus payme $4800.00 dollars in depreciation compensation because now my car had body work.

Believe me, they did not offer this... I had to threaten to sue to get it.

How did they calculate that number ($4,800). Is there a way to calculate the depreciation value?

I originaly asked for more, we negotiated to 4800.00.

I contacted my insurance company, Porsche Club, and did research on my own.

The number usually falls between 5 and 10 % of NADA from what I recall.

You have to be able to prove that your truck is worth less now because it was damaged. This should be easier nowadays becauseof CarFax reporting. Back when this happenedto me CarFax wasn't widely used.

Found this..

Am I entitled to depreciation value?

Depreciation value is that sum of money which accounts for the decrease in the fair market value of your motor vehicle as the direct result of having been damaged in a collision even taking into consideration that your vehicle is repairable or is repaired. It is a recognition that a vehicle which has been in a collision and is repaired is of less value than a similar vehicle which has never been damaged. In other words, it is a value of loss over and above the repair costs. Depreciation is a very nebulous and gray area. The amount of depreciation will also depend on the severity of the damage. If there is minor damage there probably is no depreciation. On the other hand, the more severe the damage the more likely depreciation is present.

When negotiating with the adjuster you should demand that you get depreciation. Fact is the value of a vehicle can be greatly reduced just because it was in a wreck. Most adjusters will not volunteer depreciation value, therefore, you should raise the issue. On the other hand, some liability carriers will volunteer this information if your vehicle is no more than five years old and damage amounts to 25% or more of the fair market value. There is no computer formula which will account for depreciation. We have heard that some insurance companies will pay between 10% and 20% of the repair bill for depreciation.

You should be aware that if your vehicle is less than five years old and the damage to the vehicle exceeds 25% of its fair market value, you must disclose that fact to any subsequent buyer. This disclosure will certainly effect the amount anyone would be willing to pay or allow for trade in allowance for the vehicle

Now, I do have to say my damage was considerable.. had to replace passenger rear quarter panel which is no small feat on a 993. Had to fly in a factory authorized welder from Germany. Took 3 months to fix but was superbly done. Flawless.

Xrayqueen is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Smile Re: "SH%TTY LUCK"

Quote Originally Posted by BUILDINGCTSAMG
    I understand your pissed, but let them try to take care of you before you make unreasonable request....would you rather get the car back like new plus really incredible and discounted service from this dealer in the future or the repairs plus a legal battle and the need for a new service shop....

Try to be reasonable, understand accidents happen. Demand that the car look exactly like it did when you brought it in, expect to be given a loaner and expect some sort of compensation for pain and suffering....maybe a few lube changes or something...

If you dont think your being treated fair dont fight with your tech go straight to the manager and talk to him and tell him you want to see how much they want to keep your business
    I can be quite anal about my Mr. Lucky,I totally agree with Building you have to be reasonable. Accidents do happen. You will I promise have to stay on Caddy dealers Butt to make sure they do a good job. I been there done that As far as your resale value I don't beleive it will hurt it. If your Caddy is reasonablly new it is not going to list as a salvage. Just demand a 2005 to in the meantime while they fix your's. Keep checking on there progress and definately demand future free services oil changes etc. I'm sorry this happened to you. I just went through an uninsured mortorist hitting me. Caddilac did a great repair job. Everything will be okay just be reasonable and keep your blood pressure down
    Peace

blingblingcv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

There was a previous post of someone else that this happened. To I think the user was brett but I am not quite sure. Good luck on getting everything sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrayqueen
    As far as your resale value I don't beleive it will hurt it. If your Caddy is reasonablly new it is not going to list as a salvage.

$4000.00 worth of damage!....It most certainly will hurt the resale value. The repair work/repaint will have to be listed on carfax by law. anyone buying the truck later that pulls a carfax will see the repaint work and have leverage in making an offer to buy, as will a dealer if its traded in. CarFax doesn't go away.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.