Odometer Fraud!!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Odometer Fraud!!!! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I recently had my dashboard apart because I was installing an alarm system when I noticed that in the wiring ...
    nikko1627 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Odometer Fraud!!!!

I recently had my dashboard apart because I was installing an alarm system when I noticed that in the wiring harness that connects to the instrument cluster for my speedometer/odometer/tachometer etc. there was a wire that was cut and taped back together. This wire is the wire that controls the odometer and when disconnected will not allow the odometer to accumulate any miles. So basically miles can not be added when this wire is disconnected. There would be no other reason for this wire to have been cut other than for the reason I just stated. This leads me to believe that the truck was tampered with and that the mileage that is in my instrument cluster is not the correct mileage on my truck. What kind of recourse should I take? I already contacted Carfax about this and am waiting for a response. I am trying to find an attorney that could help me. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? Does anyone have any helpfull advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Re: Odometer Fraud!!!!

You didnt notice the truck wasnt accumulating miles before that?

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    You didnt notice the truck wasnt accumulating miles before that?
    well i just bought the truck a month ago and whoever owned the truck before me reconnected the wires. The wires were connected when i found it but they cut apart and re-sodered when i found them, thats what makes me think there was odometer fraud and that my mileage is not correct.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Well I suppose that IS a possibility, but it would be unusual for the previous owner to have with pre-meditiation known about and disconnected this wire for the entire time he owned it, though NOT out of the question, if its as easy as you say, someone who travels 250 miles a week might do this to protect their resale. Also, I can see someone doing this if the truck was towed alot, for example, behind a motorhome. Otherwise this isnt really your typical odo fraud, which is either electronically or mechanically setting the odometer back. I have to tell you though, if this IS the case, it probably wouldnt register as fraud on any reports because the mileage was never rolled back, it just wasnt ADVANCED as far as it should have been, and how will anyone ever prove that? Quite clever.

I am curious how you determined that it prevents the odo from advancing now that I think about it? Its really not supposed to be that easy to mess with the odo, you would probably set off DTCs in the BCM or ECU with something like that, what year is the truck?

slimm44 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

if the odometer really was tampered with the real mileage would still be recorded in the computer.

Sycosis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I know that on the 1996 Impala SS the odometer could be stopped by removing the fuse for the DLR's. Funny since the impala did not have DLR's but a fuse was located there. By removing the fuse the electronic odometer would go black and not record any miles. So it can be that easy.

ILLNALI is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 DENALI bagged on 26's.. 2008 GS350 murdered

the reason the wires were cut and re soldered is because it was probably connected to a toggle switch so the previous owner can flip it on and off for the speed. the m.p.h. will not work with the odometer switched off. Or it could have been a prior installer error on an alarm or aftermarket gauge overlays, trying to tap ignition. who knows?

slk230mb is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade

The mileage should be recorded in other areas of the computer system. The odometer should just be the last place, just a place to display the miles. Could it just be that the previous owner had the dash and cluster apart and cut a wire?
    ~Steve

KadKat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Aside from the mileage being recorded in various other places already mentioned, I'm thinking the previous owner may have had an after market Radio/GPS Nav system and this is where they hooked into the Speed Sensor.

You can have any dealer check the BCM and compare the numbers between the Instrument Cluster and what is actually stored on the various modules.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep, except for the part about reporting this already to CarFax. They'll probably put an asterisk on you VIN now and it will be harder to remove that a Bankruptcy Filing.

Sta11ion is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

It doesnt show the miles on the bcm.

MEJIA is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by KadKat
    Aside from the mileage being recorded in various other places already mentioned, I'm thinking the previous owner may have had an after market Radio/GPS Nav system and this is where they hooked into the Speed Sensor.

You can have any dealer check the BCM and compare the numbers between the Instrument Cluster and what is actually stored on the various modules.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep, except for the part about reporting this already to CarFax. They'll probably put an asterisk on you VIN now and it will be harder to remove that a Bankruptcy Filing.
    I agree. Reporting this to Carfax will make it difficult for you to sell your car in the future...

Mejia

jbrown93etc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado Touring Coupe

yeah you shouldnt have contacted car fax first, you may have messed up your car fax and it may not be odometer fraud.

HUD
    HUD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS

What year is the Escalade and how many miles does it have?

I just got my history report from CADI. The guy who owned it before me put 19998 miles the first six months he owned it then for the next year and a half he only put 8000 miles until i bought it!! This doesnt seem right. The lade is an 03. I am taking it to a cadi dealership tomorrow to have them read the miles off of the trans computer. I will update you guys on what the outcome is.

sicrx65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

^^^ that is sorta of fishy

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.