Odometer Fraud!!!! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Odometer Fraud!!!! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I agree about the nav which is most likely the wire was cut in the first place. Unless you have ...
    smalone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Odometer Fraud!!!!

I agree about the nav which is most likely the wire was cut in the first place. Unless you have proof the the odo was unhooked you are wasting time/money getting a lawyer. To answer this and to put all the myths to rest we need to find out if there is mileage stored somewhere else in the car(which I doubt). Somebody has to know someone at GM who can answer this question.

KadKat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by KadKat
    I'll put the question out to a reliable source. It could be late Monday before I get an answer, but I'll post it as soon as I get it.

The areas I recall are very general and I'd like to precisely accurate.

The only one that can changed, and only with professional assistance, is on the IPC, Instrument Panel Cluster. The other locations are permanent.
    Sorry about the long delay.

The server my contact uses is down until Firday or Saturday. I'll try another method to reach him see what he comes up with.

Hang in there.

Any news yet?????????

tekno is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

New to the forum... but I know a little about the gm clusters... As stated above If you disconnect the wire and hook it to a toggle switch it will prevent miles from being put on the cluster. The speedo doesn't work when disconnected either. Another way you could do it is just buy a cluster with low miles on it.
    BUT>>>
    The actual miles are stored in the computers somewhere. Think about it... do you think GM would make it THAT easy to screw with the milage of the vehicle. Take it to a good GM dealership... they will tell you what is up. But the aftermarket Navigation could be true too.
    You probably need to hurry up and figure out what is up and report back to carfax to straighten things out...

FYI on Mercedes, Lexus, Chry., Toyota, Honda, and many others the mileage is stored ONLY in the cluster. I have friends who are factory techs and say for a fact that the mileage is no where else in the car. If Mercedes, one of the most advanced cars on the road does not store it why would GM????????

Sorry for the long delay in providing what I expected to be a quick and simple answer. As silly as it seems, the advent of the digital age may have not provided relief from the issue of OD Fraud.

With the relatively simple analog odometers and rolling them back, it looks even easier with an Instrument Cluster Panel change out or wire/switch intercept. We all know there has to be a location somewhere in the vehicle to permanently store the information, but it is not being provided to the consumers.

I have a resource, though not related to GM or any other vehicle manufacturer, he is extremely technically oriented, particularly with the GM line of products and this is the gist of his long delayed reply to my question when I asked him to look into this subject;

>
    > Some cars DO store the mileage in another module. A TechLink article
    > said so. I believe it was a GTO or Grand Prix. No doubt other's in that
    > family.
    >
    > It appears to me they are leaning more toward the trend of storing the
    > ODO and engine hours in the designated master mode module for the
    > vehicle, rather than in the cluster.
    >

Any and all issues of fraud and deceit rub me the wrong way.

I know we'll all be keeping an eye open along this subject.

I wish I had a more definitive reply.

He is still looking into the subject and I will provide any information he can provide.

I'm not trying to boost my post count with the replies to myself but this was a simple reference my resource provided that probably provides for more speculation than answers.

Tech Link Reference

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.