Odometer Fraud!!!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Odometer Fraud!!!! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Well what did the trans computer say? Are the miles correct?...
    smalone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Odometer Fraud!!!!

Well what did the trans computer say? Are the miles correct?

crusher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade Premium

Quote Originally Posted by nikko1627
    I just got my history report from CADI. The guy who owned it before me put 19998 miles the first six months he owned it then for the next year and a half he only put 8000 miles until i bought it!! This doesnt seem right. The lade is an 03. I am taking it to a cadi dealership tomorrow to have them read the miles off of the trans computer. I will update you guys on what the outcome is.
    So what was the outcome? Tomorrow has come and gone numerous times.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Yep, seems he like he got smart, realized he was puttin miles all over that thing, and someone clued him in on how to trick it. If he put 20k miles on it in six months, I wouldnt be surprised if that rig has well in excess of 70000 miles in another 1.5 years.

In contrast, I consider my truck to already have somewhat high miles for its age, and its a 2004 bought in Dec 03 and only has 20k on it NOW.

Do our cars store miles in any computers beside the cluster?

nikko1627 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

sorry to keep you guys waiting. well no luck so far. i took it to the dealership and they pluged their little programmer in under my dash and it just read what was on my odometer already. they told me they dont have a way of checkin mileage another way. so my next step is to contact GM directly and ask them what they can do about reading the mileage from another location on the truck

So I guess they dont store the mileage on any computers? This would be a very good thing to know because I just bought a 03 Denali and that thought is in the back of my head.

KadKat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by smalone
    So I guess they dont store the mileage on any computers? This would be a very good thing to know because I just bought a 03 Denali and that thought is in the back of my head.
    The initiator of this topic has not described the year, make, model of the vehicle he is questioning. Or at least I haven't found it yet.

There are several locations the mileage information is stored on the current generation of GM800 vehicles. His techs are either too lazy or unwilling to press much deeper into acquiring the information he is seeking.

Here is a link to a character in Beirut, Lebanon. He's a real hot head and on a lot of medication due to an accident almost 2 years ago.

He bought an 02 Avalanche from a private party in Michigan and took delivery in Beirut. It was listed as having 16K miles on the clock. When it arrived it had a few more, but nothing real silly.

Then he started having problems and when he took into the only GM Service facility in Beirut to have some warranty work performed, it was discovered it had about 50K more miles than were showing on the OD and it had been totaled in a wreck and stricken from the GM Data Base for any future warranty work.

Take a look at this link and see if the specific instance shows up where Mr. GoodWrench Beirut found the true mileage. Most of this guy's posts were deleted as he has a very difficult time being civil.

A Bad Mileage & Buying Experience

I never saw in the thread anything about how to confirm the mileage. What places do they store it?

KadKat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by smalone
    I never saw in the thread anything about how to confirm the mileage. What places do they store it?

I'll put the question out to a reliable source. It could be late Monday before I get an answer, but I'll post it as soon as I get it.

The areas I recall are very general and I'd like to precisely accurate.

The only one that can changed, and only with professional assistance, is on the IPC, Instrument Panel Cluster. The other locations are permanent.

nikko1627 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by KadKat
    The initiator of this topic has not described the year, make, model of the vehicle he is questioning. Or at least I haven't found it yet.
    Hey sorry if you missed it kadkat, i stated it earlier. but to let you know it is an 03 escalade. any help would be much appreciated!!!

JDelorean_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 srx

Did you take it back to the same dealer you bought it from. Or, had you purchased from an individual?

If, it was the selling dealer, he 'might' have had a reason for "Not" being able to report any other mileage - some refer to it as Federal Law :coolgleam

If it was a dealer trying to help out, maybe they called the selling dealer - & you got 'black-balled' - kind of like Elaine from seinfeld did with her doctors!

Sta11ion is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

I am curious to know, It should only have it in the Cluster thats it. It also shows in the log of business and personal trip bu that can be easly reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by KadKat
    I'll put the question out to a reliable source. It could be late Monday before I get an answer, but I'll post it as soon as I get it.

The areas I recall are very general and I'd like to precisely accurate.

The only one that can changed, and only with professional assistance, is on the IPC, Instrument Panel Cluster. The other locations are permanent.

84caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe; 80 Le Cab; 85 Fleetwood Coupe; 03 ESV; 04 Deville

I doubt a clocker changed the mileage....he wouldn't need to cut any wires....bettin it was not cut at all, but spliced into for a navvy system

my .02

TaTownBacker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

That is BS about the odometer. If you bought it from a dealer or someone who regularly selles cars there is whats called an implied warranty of merchantability that might come into play. This means basically that the goods sold must actually be what the seller represented them as, having 10,000 miles on them. If it was a private seller there are several different types of recourse you could have against them. Contact an attorney in your area who specializes in consumer fraud cases/consumer protection law and tell him what the deal is, the consultation will be free.

Sta11ion is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

The problem with this is that there is no proof of the original miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by TaTownBacker
    That is BS about the odometer. If you bought it from a dealer or someone who regularly selles cars there is whats called an implied warranty of merchantability that might come into play. This means basically that the goods sold must actually be what the seller represented them as, having 10,000 miles on them. If it was a private seller there are several different types of recourse you could have against them. Contact an attorney in your area who specializes in consumer fraud cases/consumer protection law and tell him what the deal is, the consultation will be free.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.