2002 Escalade 4x4 problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2002 Escalade 4x4 problems in Cadillac Escalade Forums; full time four wheel drive Escalade. AWD is it suppose to kick out the 4x4 in the front end when ...
    liv2shoot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 escalade

2002 Escalade 4x4 problems

full time four wheel drive Escalade. AWD is it suppose to kick out the 4x4 in the front end when you turn? It seem like the front stays locked in when turning it has a grabbing and binding sound when you turn left or right when in a parking lot when going slow. Don't notice it on the highway.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2shoot
    full time four wheel drive Escalade. AWD is it suppose to kick out the 4x4 in the front end when you turn? It seem like the front stays locked in when turning it has a grabbing and binding sound when you turn left or right when in a parking lot when going slow. Don't notice it on the highway.
    That's a normal side effect of the all wheel drive nothing to worry
    The term is called crabbing

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    hmmm....neither of my awd's do what you are describing

Quote Originally Posted by wesyder

hmmm....neither of my awd's do what you are describing
    It depends on the tires also

Re: 2002 Escalade 4x4 problems

Thanks to the Cadillac man. I have a 2001 Tahoe it only does that when the 4x4 is engaged. With the 2002 Escalade there is no solenoid on the right side front axel to disengage it like the Tahoe has which is not full time. Just want to make sure nothing will happen to it.

I wonder if we could change the right side axel tube with one off another vehicle with the solenoid in it and only engage it when you need four wheel drive like in the winter time? Looks like the Tahoe front axel is the same except for the right side axel tube with the solenoid. What do you guys think?

Thanks to the Cadillac man. I have a 2001 Tahoe it only does that when the 4x4 is engaged. With the 2002 Escalade there is no solenoid on the right side front axel to disengage it like the Tahoe has which is not full time. Just want to make sure nothing will happen to it.

I wonder if we could change the right side axel tube with one off another vehicle with the solenoid in it and only engage it when you need four wheel drive like in the winter time? Looks like the Tahoe front axel is the same except for the right side axel tube with the solenoid. What do you guys think?
    You will mess up the transfer case bearings(and other things) if you proceed
    The all wheel drive helps in other times besides winter

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade

Like the Cadillac Man said, if you wanted to make and AWD Escalade into part-time 4x4, you would need to change the transfer case. The transfer case on these trucks requires resistance from front AND rear wheels or you won't move.

Thank you guys. Just got off of a week long conference and was not able to check my e-mails or this site. That is what I kind of figured. One more question will the crabbing eventually hurt the front end? It must put a lot of strain on the gearing in the front. The old style Dana axels were heavier then these.

How can I get a build sheet from the ID number? Is there someplace on line?

Thank again guys.

Thank you guys. Just got off of a week long conference and was not able to check my e-mails or this site. That is what I kind of figured. One more question will the crabbing eventually hurt the front end? It must put a lot of strain on the gearing in the front. The old style Dana axels were heavier then these.

How can I get a build sheet from the ID number? Is there someplace on line?

Thank again guys.
    It won't hurt it just don't do it much as it can stress the cv joints(or so I have been told)
    The rpo codes contact one of the Cadillac customer support folks on here or google rpo code look up then there is a dealer(not sure on the last one)

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    It won't hurt it just don't do it much as it can stress the cv joints(or so I have been told)
    The rpo codes contact one of the Cadillac customer support folks on here or google rpo code look up then there is a dealer(not sure on the last one)
    Well cadillac man it happened what I thought would happen the crabbing effect is taking out the front end. It is starting to howl real bad. So I changed the gear lube in the front end again and it is real silvery, very silvery. If the transfer case is different from my 2001 Tahoe which is not full time 4wd then what is different in it. Is there a sensor in it that is supposed to disengage the power to the front end if to eliminate the crabbing
    Is there anyone else out there that has had these transfer cases and front difs apart and know exactly how they work.
    Where can I find a breakdown of these components and a description of how it is supposed to work?
    My son has a 2004 GMC ¾ ton 4x4 truck. The transfer case started leaking ( the common place where you can seal the hole with JB weld and put a steel wear ring in to cure the problem). Because he did not have time to take it apart himself he took the transfer case to a reputable trans shop in town that everyone says does good work. We told them to repair the hole, check it out and clean it. Well $185.00 later he got it back and I cannot remember why but something was assembled wrong so we took it apart our self and the insides was real dirty and found the clutch pack was burnt and should have been replaced. Very poor job for people who are supposed to know what they are doing. So we ended up repairing it our self any way.

I do not know what can be so different in the Truck transfer case from the Cadillac case. Is there a spider gear in there like the old 203 transfer had to eliminate the crabbing?

Well cadillac man it happened what I thought would happen the crabbing effect is taking out the front end. It is starting to howl real bad. So I changed the gear lube in the front end again and it is real silvery, very silvery. If the transfer case is different from my 2001 Tahoe which is not full time 4wd then what is different in it. Is there a sensor in it that is supposed to disengage the power to the front end if to eliminate the crabbing Is there anyone else out there that has had these transfer cases and front difs apart and know exactly how they work. Where can I find a breakdown of these components and a description of how it is supposed to work? My son has a 2004 GMC ¾ ton 4x4 truck. The transfer case started leaking ( the common place where you can seal the hole with JB weld and put a steel wear ring in to cure the problem). Because he did not have time to take it apart himself he took the transfer case to a reputable trans shop in town that everyone says does good work. We told them to repair the hole, check it out and clean it. Well $185.00 later he got it back and I cannot remember why but something was assembled wrong so we took it apart our self and the insides was real dirty and found the clutch pack was burnt and should have been replaced. Very poor job for people who are supposed to know what they are doing. So we ended up repairing it our self any way. I do not know what can be so different in the Truck transfer case from the Cadillac case. Is there a spider gear in there like the old 203 transfer had to eliminate the crabbing?
    Both trucks use a different model of transfer case the one in your sons truck is a part time and will have a electronic clutch to engage the four wheel drive
    The one in the escalade is full time all wheel drive and it outputs the same speed to both output shafts the gear ratios in the differentials make the speed difference between the front and rear wheels

Now to the crabbing is it doing it when the wheel is turned full left or right if yes then that is normal but if its doing it while barely turning the wheel then something is not right

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2shoot View Post

Is there anyone else out there that has had these transfer cases and front difs apart and know exactly how they work.
    Where can I find a breakdown of these components and a description of how it is supposed to work?
    I have had them both apart and rebuilt them at home. Check your PM inbox, you'll find some good info there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.