Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Brakes still pulsate after new pads and rotors-2002 Escalade

9K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  the cadillac man 
#1 ·
The brakes on my 2002 Escalade were pulsating when I was slowing down from highway speeds. I replaced the rotors and pads and it helped a little bit, but I can still feel it. Could the calipers need to be replaced? I do not know if they have ever been worked on or not.

Thanks

#6 ·
the cadillac man said:
I hate to threadjack but my truck does the later in the rear where it feels like the brakes are plus ring on and off in rapid fire movement (I think its my rotors as I put new brakes on the rear not too long ago and it still does it)
No prob... Yeah if its in the steering wheel its most likely the front if you jus feel pulsing like a slight on and off the brakes its most likely the rear

#13 ·
Should be mostly when the rotors get hot , like aggressive braking or hi speed braking[/QUOTE

Maybe a caliper is not completely releasing, causing a rotor to overheat and warp.You can check for this condition with a non-contact infrared thermometer. both sides on the front should be close to the same temperature and both of the rears should have similar temperatures.

#14 ·
wesyder said:
Should be mostly when the rotors get hot , like aggressive braking or hi speed braking
When the abs does engage it sounds like rapid fire pulsing from the rear instead of smooth braking(my dads h2 is smooth braking)
I told the service manager and he said it sounded like I have a warped rotor

I know warped rotors are caused by heavy excessive breaking(I rarely have to panic stop unless someone stops sudden and I have to avoid hitting them)

I have heard if you ride the brakes a lot it does this(I don't but who had the truck before may have))due to warping the rotors

#19 ·
MoistCabbage said:
Overheating can cause excess pad material to stick to the rotors, which can be removed with some hard brake applications from highway speeds to ~20MPH or so.

Again, rotors do NOT "warp", they're cast iron.
Tried that and it didn't help
Also not all rotors are of the same material

Last time I had my rear brakes changed they said my rotors needed replacing next time anyway as they couldn't turn them as they were already to the limit

I am going to save up and have front and rear brakes(including the park brakes)along with my rear rotors replaced soon so I don't have to have this happening as I know its NOT normal

#20 ·
"Again, rotors do NOT "warp", they're cast iron."

I guess Monroe has been wrong all these years. Copy and paste for the facts:

http://www.monroebrakes.com/support/brake-problem-diagnostic/types-of-failures-rotors/disc-brake-system/warped-rotor/wheel-vibration?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content={K_CREATIVE_HEADLINE}&utm_campaign=Rotor+Symptoms&utm_term=%2Bwarping%20%2Bbrake%20%2Brotors

#22 ·
Skier-24 said:
"Again, rotors do NOT "warp", they're cast iron."

I guess Monroe has been wrong all these years. Copy and paste for the facts:

http://www.monroebrakes.com/support/brake-problem-diagnostic/types-of-failures-rotors/disc-brake-system/warped-rotor/wheel-vibration?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content={K_CREATIVE_HEADLINE}&utm_campaign=Rotor+Symptoms&utm_term=%2Bwarping%20%2Bbrake%20%2Brotors
I looked at the link (they mention warping)
I am not making claims but there are companies that don't have cast iron brake rotors but that's a different story(one I don't want to get into)

I do know my rotors are shot for sure(known it since the last time I had my rear brakes changed) as they can't be turned as they are really thin from previous jobs

----------

MrHolland said:
If your brake hoses fail they can also cause your brakes to shake. Anytime I replace a caliper I also replace the hoses. Its been my experience that hoses are what cause brake caliper failure. JMHO.
Haven't had a hose fail yet(knock on wood)but I do inspect them when the wheels are off the truck for cracks or damage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.