How strong are the rear air ride shocks supposed to be?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, How strong are the rear air ride shocks supposed to be? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Related to my earlier thread about the weight distribution hitch. I picked up my toyhauler yesterday and could not use ...
    65kaiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How strong are the rear air ride shocks supposed to be?

Related to my earlier thread about the weight distribution hitch. I picked up my toyhauler yesterday and could not use the wdh hitch as my transfer bars were to short so I had to run on just the reg hitch. When we hooked up the trailer the EXT dropped way down in the rear and the air ride would only lift it a little bit so we had to run 4 hours home kinda dragging our butt. Should the air ride have lifted it to level position or am I expecting to much from it? By the way the trailer is a 19' with a weight of about 4500 lbs. The air ride functions perfectly without the trailer. Interested in any ones thoughts or experiences.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by 65kaiser
    Related to my earlier thread about the weight distribution hitch. I picked up my toyhauler yesterday and could not use the wdh hitch as my transfer bars were to short so I had to run on just the reg hitch. When we hooked up the trailer the EXT dropped way down in the rear and the air ride would only lift it a little bit so we had to run 4 hours home kinda dragging our butt. Should the air ride have lifted it to level position or am I expecting to much from it? By the way the trailer is a 19' with a weight of about 4500 lbs. The air ride functions perfectly without the trailer. Interested in any ones thoughts or experiences.
    The trailer i towed weighs about 6630 dry, when i dropped the trailer on, the truck did level out before i added the bars, unsure what the tongue weight was but I'm sure its over what the limit for the truck is

Tom P is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade ESV

Re: How strong are the rear air ride shocks supposed to be?

Trailer weight has little to do with your problem, while tongue weight has everything to do with it...

You need to know approx how much tongue weight you are loading on the truck. My ESV handled approx 550 lbs of tongue weight just fine - the shocks and compressor kept the truck level. I doubt the shocks would handle much more than 600 to 700 lbs, but I could be wrong...

I am aware of tongue weight. The tongue weight was probably 350 to 400lbs max. Do these shocks get weaker with age?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The ELC system on my Seville will lift more than 600 pounds of people sitting on the trunk lip.

The shocks can't get "weak", they're "regular" shocks, with rubber bladders incorporated into them. They're inflated by an electric compressor. Either the compressor isn't producing the PSI it should be, or there's a leak in the bladders, lines, fittings, or compressor itself.

Are you sure the system shouldn't be disabled when towing anyway?

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    The ELC system on my Seville will lift more than 600 pounds of people sitting on the trunk lip.

The shocks can't get "weak", they're "regular" shocks, with rubber bladders incorporated into them. They're inflated by an electric compressor. Either the compressor isn't producing the PSI it should be, or there's a leak in the bladders, lines, fittings, or compressor itself.

Are you sure the system shouldn't be disabled when towing anyway?
    The hauling wight on my 03 in the rear(not towing) is 2 tons(not that I would want to haul that much) if the truck isn't leveling out with the trailer on the hitch then there is a leak on the lines or shock bladders

Hauling weight not towing ? Do you mean cargo load capacity? I guaranty you it is nowhere near 2 tons Thats 4000lbs! my dodge dually is not rated for that. Maybe more like 1000lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 65kaiser
    Hauling weight not towing ? Do you mean cargo load capacity? I guaranty you it is nowhere near 2 tons Thats 4000lbs! my dodge dually is not rated for that. Maybe more like 1000lbs.
    That's what the manual lists for the rear gvwr

Now I have had some pretty heavy stuff in my car(solid cap blocks) and the car didn't squat and I know it was over its rated capacity (I have air shocks on it)
    So I guess if gm has the rating like that it should handle it

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The GVWR includes the weight of the vehicle, it's not the carrying capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    The GVWR includes the weight of the vehicle, it's not the carrying capacity.
    It includes the weight of the rear of the truck in the factor but that is the max it can handle in the rear of the truck

(the rear gvwr on my 03 is 2 tons max if you go by the driver door placard but I go by the owners manual gvwr specs which is a bit higher as the door placard rating is rated lower for folks who don't read the manual and get to know the full ability of the vehicle)

You are understanding that incorrectly. The gross vehicle weight is 7000lbs. The rear axle rating is 4000 lbs INCLUDING the weight of the truck! The curb weight of the truck alone is almost 6000lbs. that leaves about 1000 lbs for cargo weight. Note cargo weight is anything you add to the empty truck, if you have 2 200lb guys in the truck your payload left is only 600lbs! None of this refers to what the air ride shocks are rated for. And this is what my thread was about.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.