A/C evaporator core questions...it's that time :(
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, A/C evaporator core questions...it's that time :( in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi everyone, have a question regarding the air conditioning evaporator core in my truck. I have a 2003 standard Escalade ...
  1. #1
    Black88GTA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade AWD 6.0L
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    34
    Posts
    106

    A/C evaporator core questions...it's that time :(

    Hi everyone, have a question regarding the air conditioning evaporator core in my truck. I have a 2003 standard Escalade (not ESV or EXT). I had a leak I hadn't been able to track down, so I put an entire can of refrigerant w/ dye in it through it to see if I could spot where the dye was coming out from. Well, I found it.



    That little vent you see dead in the center of the pic (with the light on it) leads straight into the firewall. It's located right under the accumulator, looking up from underneath the truck. The stain on it is the dye. So, it looks like I get to swap out the front evap core.

    My question is - what one do I need to get? My truck has electronic HVAC controls with an auto setting, but manual knobs for the rear A/C. Factory center console. I have RPO codes D07 (console) CJ2 (electronic auto A/C controls). I'm getting all sorts of conflicting information from the various parts sites - Rock Auto seems to think that only the most expensive one they offer will fit ($260), while GM Parts Link says that the cheaper style will work.

    The Auto Parts Warehouse site shows no less than three different styles alone for the front core. I have no idea which one to get.

    Has anyone done this job on a truck similar to mine that can tell me 100% which one is actually in there? I'd hate to have to wait until I can get it all apart and find out, then wait another two weeks for the part to arrive. Would rather just order it all now.

    e: Is there a way to look up the parts I need using the truck's VIN number / RPO codes? There's a website for BMW that lets you just type in the last 7 digits of the VIN number and it pulls up exactly the parts I need, not every single variation ever created in the chassis' history. Anything like that for GM?

    e2: Looks like GM Parts Link lets you enter a VIN, but I'm still not sure I trust it. Would rather have some real-world experience on this one if anyone knows Thanks in advance all.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Black88GTA
    Hi everyone, have a question regarding the air conditioning evaporator core in my truck. I have a 2003 standard Escalade (not ESV or EXT). I had a leak I hadn't been able to track down, so I put an entire can of refrigerant w/ dye in it through it to see if I could spot where the dye was coming out from. Well, I found it.

    That little vent you see dead in the center of the pic (with the light on it) leads straight into the firewall. It's located right under the accumulator, looking up from underneath the truck. The stain on it is the dye. So, it looks like I get to swap out the front evap core.

    My question is - what one do I need to get? My truck has electronic HVAC controls with an auto setting, but manual knobs for the rear A/C. Factory center console. I have RPO codes D07 (console) CJ2 (electronic auto A/C controls). I'm getting all sorts of conflicting information from the various parts sites - Rock Auto seems to think that only the most expensive one they offer will fit ($260), while GM Parts Link says that the cheaper style will work.

    The Auto Parts Warehouse site shows no less than three different styles alone for the front core. I have no idea which one to get.

    Has anyone done this job on a truck similar to mine that can tell me 100% which one is actually in there? I'd hate to have to wait until I can get it all apart and find out, then wait another two weeks for the part to arrive. Would rather just order it all now.

    e: Is there a way to look up the parts I need using the truck's VIN number / RPO codes? There's a website for BMW that lets you just type in the last 7 digits of the VIN number and it pulls up exactly the parts I need, not every single variation ever created in the chassis' history. Anything like that for GM?

    e2: Looks like GM Parts Link lets you enter a VIN, but I'm still not sure I trust it. Would rather have some real-world experience on this one if anyone knows Thanks in advance all.
    The truck has auto climate systems front and rear no manual (I know mine is a 03)
    The best way to get a part number by calling a gm dealer and give them the vin and tell them the part you need and you need the part number for the part

    Gm parts are interchangeable among different models but not electronics(unless they use the radio rpo code version)

    There is a rpo code sticker in the glove box with codes for every feature in the truck

  4. #3
    Black88GTA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade AWD 6.0L
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    34
    Posts
    106

    Re: A/C evaporator core questions...it's that time :(

    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    The truck has auto climate systems front and rear no manual (I know mine is a 03)
    The best way to get a part number by calling a gm dealer and give them the vin and tell them the part you need and you need the part number for the part

    Gm parts are interchangeable among different models but not electronics(unless they use the radio rpo code version)

    There is a rpo code sticker in the glove box with codes for every feature in the truck
    I know there's an "auto" feature for the rear air, I meant that I have two manual knobs that control it instead of a digital panel with buttons like the truck has for the front.

    I've already looked up my RPO codes - I put the relevant ones in the OP. It looks like the trucks use a different evap core based on whether or not they have the center console, since a lot of the listings specify with or without. I suspect the air box (containing the evap / heater core) may be a different size / shape depending on whether or not the console was installed, but I just don't know. I can't seem to nail down exactly what I need, since the parts places all seem to be giving conflicting information.

  5. #4
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Black88GTA

    I know there's an "auto" feature for the rear air, I meant that I have two manual knobs that control it instead of a digital panel with buttons like the truck has for the front.

    I've already looked up my RPO codes - I put the relevant ones in the OP. It looks like the trucks use a different evap core based on whether or not they have the center console, since a lot of the listings specify with or without. I suspect the air box (containing the evap / heater core) may be a different size / shape depending on whether or not the console was installed, but I just don't know. I can't seem to nail down exactly what I need, since the parts places all seem to be giving conflicting information.
    The truck has digital controls on the rear of the console and computer controlled knobs in the front for the rear and digital controls for the front hvac system

    Call a gm dealer and give them the vin of your truck and tell them the part you need that is the best way and what most(if not all) of us use to get parts

  6. #5
    Black88GTA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade AWD 6.0L
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    34
    Posts
    106

    Re: A/C evaporator core questions...it's that time :(

    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    The truck has digital controls on the rear of the console and computer controlled knobs in the front for the rear and digital controls for the front hvac system

    Call a gm dealer and give them the vin of your truck and tell them the part you need that is the best way and what most(if not all) of us use to get parts
    I called 3 different Cadillac dealers...and got 3 different part numbers. Seems they don't know either.
    Part numbers they gave me:
    12477713
    15-62916
    8901-6027

    The first two asked me for the VIN#, the third place said it "didn't matter" and that the evap core is not dependent on the options installed in the truck. I'm pretty sure that's incorrect, but whatever. I was trying to avoid this, but it looks like I'm going to have to rip it out in order to be 100% sure about it.

  7. #6
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Black88GTA

    I called 3 different Cadillac dealers...and got 3 different part numbers. Seems they don't know either.
    Part numbers they gave me:
    12477713
    15-62916
    8901-6027

    The first two asked me for the VIN#, the third place said it "didn't matter" and that the evap core is not dependent on the options installed in the truck. I'm pretty sure that's incorrect, but whatever. I was trying to avoid this, but it looks like I'm going to have to rip it out in order to be 100% sure about it.
    That sucks dude
    If you want I can ask at my local dealer I have to get the oil changed tomorrow

  8. #7
    Black88GTA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade AWD 6.0L
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Age
    34
    Posts
    106

    Re: A/C evaporator core questions...it's that time :(

    If anyone cares (and for future reference) I think I figured it out. Hopefully this will help the next guy who searches on here for this.

    I called a 4th dealership and asked the same question. This time, he gave me a P/N of 89019027 - which is one digit off of the number I got from the 3rd dealer I called (swap 6 for 9), and crosses over on Rock Auto to 1562961 (which has the last two digits swapped from the 2nd place I called). So, in a perfect storm of bad luck, the first dealer gave me a P/N for a rear unit and the second two dealers were apparently dyslexic, yielding not a single useful part number.

    So, (excluding the one who gave me a number for the completely wrong thing) it looks like I have three dealers in agreement with which part I need. The good news is, a genuine Delco part is about $140, and aftermarkets are available for $55 and up. In this case, I think it may be wise to go with the Delco part rather than some aftermarket which is more likely to fail sooner. It doesn't need it, but I'm going to be doing the heater core at the same time because I don't want to rip this thing apart again over a $50 part. Cadillac man, thanks for the help!

  9. #8
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Black88GTA
    If anyone cares (and for future reference) I think I figured it out. Hopefully this will help the next guy who searches on here for this.

    I called a 4th dealership and asked the same question. This time, he gave me a P/N of 89019027 - which is one digit off of the number I got from the 3rd dealer I called (swap 6 for 9), and crosses over on Rock Auto to 1562961 (which has the last two digits swapped from the 2nd place I called). So, in a perfect storm of bad luck, the first dealer gave me a P/N for a rear unit and the second two dealers were apparently dyslexic, yielding not a single useful part number.

    So, (excluding the one who gave me a number for the completely wrong thing) it looks like I have three dealers in agreement with which part I need. The good news is, a genuine Delco part is about $140, and aftermarkets are available for $55 and up. In this case, I think it may be wise to go with the Delco part rather than some aftermarket which is more likely to fail sooner. It doesn't need it, but I'm going to be doing the heater core at the same time because I don't want to rip this thing apart again over a $50 part. Cadillac man, thanks for the help!
    Glad to help even if I didn't get you the right part number

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting