Odometer reads lower than trip
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Odometer reads lower than trip in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I just bought a 2005 Escalade. When I purchased it, the odometer read 102489 mi. I noticed today, when I ...
    dgill3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Odometer reads lower than trip

I just bought a 2005 Escalade. When I purchased it, the odometer read 102489 mi. I noticed today, when I was at the gas pump, that the trip A reads 185466.5 mi. And trip B reads 185105.5 mi. How is this possible to have the trip meter be higher than the total odometer? Have I been scammed by the dealer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Odometer reads lower than trip

Hello dgill3,

I apologize that it seems that the odometer and the trip meter are off. I would like to contact the dealership on your behalf regarding this issue. Please private message me your name, contact info, VIN, dealership that you have purchased the vehicle from, and the name of the person you have been in contact with at the dealership. Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to assisting you with this concern.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Moved to proper section. Welcome to the forum!!!

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by dgill3
    I just bought a 2005 Escalade. When I purchased it, the odometer read 102489 mi. I noticed today, when I was at the gas pump, that the trip A reads 185466.5 mi. And trip B reads 185105.5 mi. How is this possible to have the trip meter be higher than the total odometer? Have I been scammed by the dealer?
    I don't see how this is possible unless the cluster and a few
    Modules are swapped

rfishoutofwater is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade EVS Platinum Rip Tide Blue
    You do realize the trip A and trip B can be reset right?

sdgc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade

Yes they can be reset... thus can only be LOWER than the actual odometer. I would contact the dealer and see whats the heck is going on........

Guys he is talking about the odometer being lower then the trip meters not the other way around

rfishoutofwater is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade EVS Platinum Rip Tide Blue
    Yes sorry. I caught that after i posted. That is odd!

Quote Originally Posted by rfishoutofwater
    Yes sorry. I caught that after i posted. That is odd!
    Sounds to me like someone somehow tampered with the trucks modules at some point in time

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

Just FYI....a dealer cannot reprogram the mileage using a GM Tech 2. If it could...we would all be driving low mileage cream puffs. The mileage is stored in the IPC. The IPC needs to be sent out to a Delco radio/speedometer repair facility for repair or replacement or adjustment of mileage.

That said...there are laptop systems being sold that claim to be able to change the mileage via the OBDII port. I personally have not seen it done.

Interesting problem. Hard to believe the trip mileage has never been reset during the life of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Logandiagnostic
    Just FYI....a dealer cannot reprogram the mileage using a GM Tech 2. If it could...we would all be driving low mileage cream puffs. The mileage is stored in the IPC. The IPC needs to be sent out to a Delco radio/speedometer repair facility for repair or replacement or adjustment of mileage.

That said...there are laptop systems being sold that claim to be able to change the mileage via the OBDII port. I personally have not seen it done.

Interesting problem. Hard to believe the trip mileage has never been reset during the life of the vehicle.
    Not from what I have heard but I think its not allowed by gm

As far as the trip meter most people probably have no clue its even on the vehicle or don't know how to reset/use it

As far as the mileage I don't think it is just stored in the cluster as I was told after the dealer replaced me PCM that it read zero before reverting to the real mileage(this was told by the service manager and verified by the service tech who did the work)

This is from the GM service manual:

"The IPC displays the vehicle mileage and trip mileage as determined by the IPC. The IPC calculates the mileage based on the vehicle speed signal circuit from the powertrain control module (PCM). The odometer will display 'error' if an internal IPC memory failure is detected. The odometer can be configured to display either miles or kilometers."

I guess if you want to believe the dealer you can...I'll stand by the fact that the mileage is stored in the IPC.

This is from the GM service manual:

"The IPC displays the vehicle mileage and trip mileage as determined by the IPC. The IPC calculates the mileage based on the vehicle speed signal circuit from the powertrain control module (PCM). The odometer will display 'error' if an internal IPC memory failure is detected. The odometer can be configured to display either miles or kilometers."

I guess if you want to believe the dealer you can...I'll stand by the fact that the mileage is stored in the IPC.
    Odd how they told me that

I had a Chrysler Concorde that was like that where the mileage wasn't stored in the cluster but in the bcm and PCM so I guess its different then what the guys at my gm dealer know

Can you elaborate on how the mileage show up right after they changed the PCM in my truck then

FYI I have a gm service manual also(same as the gm dealers use)

I am not going to speculate on what the dealer said or did to your truck.

If you have the service manuals...you should be able to go look it up. This is more info from the GM service manual: Re: Cluster replacement.

"The odometer information must be transferred to the replacement instrument panel cluster (IPC). The odometer information has to be programmed in the new IPC using IPC SETUP in Service Programming System (SPS). The IPC also needs to be calibrated using Service Programming System (SPS)."

Many GM modules are a one shot deal...after the original programming...they are locked to the car for life.

I am not going to speculate on what the dealer said or did to your truck.

If you have the service manuals...you should be able to go look it up. This is more info from the GM service manual: Re: Cluster replacement.

"The odometer information must be transferred to the replacement instrument panel cluster (IPC). The odometer information has to be programmed in the new IPC using IPC SETUP in Service Programming System (SPS). The IPC also needs to be calibrated using Service Programming System (SPS)."

Many GM modules are a one shot deal...after the original programming...they are locked to the car for life.
    I remember something like that being mentioned before online when I had issues with my Chrysler where someone had to swap out all three modules (PCM, bcm and another one) to fix a issue(they were used modules not new)

I do know that the vin is programmed into each module(radio and amp are exempt as they can be reprogrammed)) and can't be reprogrammed once the vin is programmed(hence why I never had the issue in my previous car fixed)

The dealer did have to recalibrate the cluster in my truck after they replaced the PCM but they did tell the mileage didn't show up for at least a half hour afterward (they record the miles for the parts warrenty)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.