04 ext Shuts off randomly. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 04 ext Shuts off randomly. in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by Bigrick31 So its $150 for the dealer to reprogram the BCM it would have been $300 but ...
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrick31
    So its $150 for the dealer to reprogram the BCM it would have been $300 but I Already installed the BCM prior to having the vehicle towed to the dealer. They will call me tomorrow to let me know if that worked. If not its $450 for an extensive diagnostic.
    Its around the same ball park on price I paid to have the pcm replaced in my truck

Bigrick31 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 Escalade EXT

Re: 04 ext Shuts off randomly.

Well it wasnt the BCM they reprogrammed it and the truck still wont start. They are going to call me back tomorrow when they figure out whats wrong.

Well it wasnt the BCM they reprogrammed it and the truck still wont start. They are going to call me back tomorrow when they figure out whats wrong.
    The only other module that can cause this is the PCM

Just got the truck back from the dealer. They said after they reprogrammed the BCM the truck would crank but wouldnt start. They ended up finding a bad ground wire behind the engine. They said it looked good visually but the wires under the insulation broke apart. With reprogramming the BCM and finding and fixing the bad ground it only cost me $445 which is a huge relief.

Just got the truck back from the dealer. They said after they reprogrammed the BCM the truck would crank but wouldnt start. They ended up finding a bad ground wire behind the engine. They said it looked good visually but the wires under the insulation broke apart. With reprogramming the BCM and finding and fixing the bad ground it only cost me $445 which is a huge relief.
    Glad to hear you got it fixed(just wish you didn't have to spend the money on the bcm before you found the bad ground cable)

At least now I have a spare ECM and BCM that are programed to my vehicle should I have problems in the future lol. Thanks for all your help cadillac man

At least now I have a spare ECM and BCM that are programed to my vehicle should I have problems in the future lol. Thanks for all your help cadillac man
    That's a good thing to have spare parts

The engine computer is called a powertrain control module as it works both the engine and transmission

Glad to help

Turns out my troubles are not over yet. The truck drove fine for about a week after the dealer fixed it. There were some minor issues like a rough idle or my projected fuel economy being a lot lower than usual but I figured the truck just had to re learn a few things since a lot had been changed. However I was going to go for a bit of a drive this past weekend and right when I pulled out of my driveway I get hit with the "service stability system" message and reduced engine power message. I got a tow truck on its way right now to pick the truck up and take it to the dealer. The only issue is if I try to drive the truck right now it drives fine hopefully the dealer can replicate the problem.

Turns out my troubles are not over yet. The truck drove fine for about a week after the dealer fixed it. There were some minor issues like a rough idle or my projected fuel economy being a lot lower than usual but I figured the truck just had to re learn a few things since a lot had been changed. However I was going to go for a bit of a drive this past weekend and right when I pulled out of my driveway I get hit with the "service stability system" message and reduced engine power message. I got a tow truck on its way right now to pick the truck up and take it to the dealer. The only issue is if I try to drive the truck right now it drives fine hopefully the dealer can replicate the problem.
    Given the messages it may be the PCM as the stability system is tied into the PCM

I know how you feel about it I was in your shoes but my truck wouldn't even start or crank(the data bus for the throttle went down and the PCM shut the engine down) and I was lucky it did or i would have plowed through a Walmart as when I got it home via tow truck and got a code scanner I found out the tps was showing I had the pedal to the floor(not good)

You did the right call by not taking the risk and driving it when it showed the message

Mine would lag on the throttle before the PCM died

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Given the messages it may be the PCM as the stability system is tied into the PCM

I know how you feel about it I was in your shoes but my truck wouldn't even start or crank(the data bus for the throttle went down and the PCM shut the engine down) and I was lucky it did or i would have plowed through a Walmart as when I got it home via tow truck and got a code scanner I found out the tps was showing I had the pedal to the floor(not good)

You did the right call by not taking the risk and driving it when it showed the message

Mine would lag on the throttle before the PCM died
    Your story with the TPS sounds scary it makes me wish we had the old cable style system.

as for the PCM I just replaced it a couple of weeks ago with a tested good working unit. I did this when I first started getting the service stability message I first changed out the Accelerator position sensor then the entire throttle body then the PCM and finally I replaced the BCM. If it is the PCM then my original PCM and the PCM I purchased online would have to have the same problem which seems unlikely or am I missing something here? Also I only get the message when I hit a bump or in this case when I drive the truck in and out of my driveway I actually drive off of the curb as my driveway is wider than the slanted part that merges into the street.

What happened this weekends was I backed out of the driveway firs the rear tires drop off of the curb and then the front ones. Then when I am far enough back I put the truck into drive and thats when I got the error messages. However I just did this exact same thing right now to drive the truck up onto a tow truck and the truck worked just fine.

Your story with the TPS sounds scary it makes me wish we had the old cable style system.

as for the PCM I just replaced it a couple of weeks ago with a tested good working unit. I did this when I first started getting the service stability message I first changed out the Accelerator position sensor then the entire throttle body then the PCM and finally I replaced the BCM. If it is the PCM then my original PCM and the PCM I purchased online would have to have the same problem which seems unlikely or am I missing something here? Also I only get the message when I hit a bump or in this case when I drive the truck in and out of my driveway I actually drive off of the curb as my driveway is wider than the slanted part that merges into the street.

What happened this weekends was I backed out of the driveway firs the rear tires drop off of the curb and then the front ones. Then when I am far enough back I put the truck into drive and thats when I got the error messages. However I just did this exact same thing right now to drive the truck up onto a tow truck and the truck worked just fine.
    No worries on that as the PCM shut the engine off right after it went into reduced power mode(I am thankful it did as I wasn't the only one in the truck) plus it would be a bad image on us caddie owners had it barreled into Walmart that day(remember the runaway Toyotas) I doubt I would have survived that day but never know and I don't think I would have wanted to find out

If I did have that happen and I survived my truck would have been totaled most likely due to the impact with the building

I am wondering if a wheel sensor is bad or a wire is loose/chaffed though given how the message is at random

I have only seen that message one time and that was when I had overworked my brakes(was on a trip so I didn't get to check for codes and the issue went away after I restarted the truck)

I actually don't know if my wheel sensors are still working. I purchased a set of 18s from someone who had just purchase a 2010 escalade and wanted aftermarket wheels. I never got around to getting the the new wheels set up to my wheel sensors. The dealership just called and asked me if I had already replaced my AP sensor or if I had replaced the ignition switch. I told them I changed the APS but not the ignition so that's where they think the problem is coming from at the moment.

I actually don't know if my wheel sensors are still working. I phrased a set of 18s from someone who had just purchase a 2010 escalade and wanted aftermarket wheels. I never got around to getting the the new wheels set up to my wheel sensors. The dealership just called and asked me if I had already replaced my AP sensor or if I had replaced the ignition switch. I told them I changed the APS but not the ignition so that's where they think the problem is coming from at the moment.
    I would want to be sure I ain't liable for parts cost if they are going to just throw parts at it unless it does fix the problem

Mark Edward Morrison is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    That's a great point Cadillac man! Who could only guess what your bill might be! I am SO glad I have a buddy that's a a Cadillac Mechanic and does my work on the side at the Cadillac dealer he works at! You talk about saving some money, he has saved me a TON in repairs over the years!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Edward Morrison
    That's a great point Cadillac man! Who could only guess what your bill might be! I am SO glad I have a buddy that's a a Cadillac Mechanic and does my work on the side at the Cadillac dealer he works at! You talk about saving some money, he has saved me a TON in repairs over the years!
    Good to hear you have someone who is a Cadillac mechanic to work on your truck I am the same way as I only trust my local dealer with my truck or my parents trucks(my dad has a hummer h2 my mom has a 02 escalade)
    Any work I can't do myself I get the dealer to do it

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.