Parking Light Help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Parking Light Help in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have a 02 escalade 6.0L and I'm trying to find some help with the parking lights they stay on ...
    justinjohnson0718 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Parking Light Help

I have a 02 escalade 6.0L and I'm trying to find some help with the parking lights they stay on sometime and the only way to turn them off is to take the fuses out of the fuse box. This only happens sometimes. I've tried removing the headlight switch to see if that'll stop them but it does help the problem they still stay on. Could this be linked anyway to my security system? Should the plug on my headlight switch have constant fire on two of the wires and the plug at all times when the battery is plugged up and the headlight switch is not plugged into the harness? Has anyone else had this problem and can give me some pointers on where to start to fix this problem. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by justinjohnson0718
    I have a 02 escalade 6.0L and I'm trying to find some help with the parking lights they stay on sometime and the only way to turn them off is to take the fuses out of the fuse box. This only happens sometimes. I've tried removing the headlight switch to see if that'll stop them but it does help the problem they still stay on. Could this be linked anyway to my security system? Should the plug on my headlight switch have constant fire on two of the wires and the plug at all times when the battery is plugged up and the headlight switch is not plugged into the harness? Has anyone else had this problem and can give me some pointers on where to start to fix this problem. Thanks.
    Sounds like a bad switch or stuck relay if not a bad sun load sensor(its on the top of the dash)
    Two of the wires in the headlight switch harness is hot at all times

Re: Parking Light Help

I tried taking every relay out of both fuse boxes and the lights would still not turn off. Which relay am i looking for in particular? And if the headlight switch was disconnected from the harness the parking lights still stay on could that still be the headlight switch in that case? Also where can i find the sun load sensor? Is it the two black pieces in the middle of the dash or the little red light on the left side of the dash kinda next to the tweeter? Thanks for your help.

Also when they do turn off on there on it only last a hour at most then they turn right back on i removed The batt cable and put back on several times too see if some swicth or relly was stuck still no change they want turn off unless the fuses comes out thanks for the help again

Also when they do turn off on there on it only last a hour at most then they turn right back on i removed The batt cable and put back on several times too see if some swicth or relly was stuck still no change they want turn off unless the fuses comes out thanks for the help again
    Sounds like stuck/bad relay

Bad switch(I had that happen on my moms 02 because the dash lights wouldn't work unless the dimmer was in the dome light position)

Not sure but it could be the bcm failing

The under hood fuse box has a layout of where each fuse and relay is at

I know this may sound crazy but is the sun load sensor covered(it is located in the middle of the dash between the defrost vents)

Given how it has a delay before the lights kick on it sounds more like the sun load sensor is bad

Basically mine is doing the same thing that you were describing about the dash lights not working unless you turn them on with the dimmer switch..do you know the name of the rely off hand what it would be called in the fuse box cover? And one last question how would you test the sun load sensor? Thanks again.

Basically mine is doing the same thing that you were describing about the dash lights not working unless you turn them on with the dimmer switch..do you know the name of the rely off hand what it would be called in the fuse box cover? And one last question how would you test the sun load sensor? Thanks again.
    I would replace the headlight switch first its the cheapest and easiest to replace

The relays are cheap
    The park light relay is in the under hood closest to the front and near the large fuses
    The low beam relay is three away from it its next to the ones for the fog lights and horn and beside the ac compressor relay

The fuses for the headlight bulbs are the closest to the front left (the high beam relay is next to them)

The lid of the under hood fuse has a layout of the box with each fuse and relay on it(its also in the owners manual if you have it)

As far as testing the sun load sensor I have never seen one fail but I wouldn't mess with it till I made sure it wasn't the switch or relays first(as those fail more often)

Update: I replaced the headlight switch and the relay today, still no change, I found the fuses to unhook the front and rear parking lights, I can't the fuse to unhook the tag lights.

When I start the vehicle at night with the headlight switch in the auto position I get no dash lights without turning the dimmer switch up... Also the digital fuel gauge at the bottom of the console turns off when I turn the headlight switch to the on position and it doesn't come back on until you turn the headlight switch off and on position and leave it on auto position... I'm thinking it may be the bcms like you were saying before, but I'm not sure, what are your thoughts on this now? Thanks for all your help again.

Update: I replaced the headlight switch and the relay today, still no change, I found the fuses to unhook the front and rear parking lights, I can't the fuse to unhook the tag lights.

When I start the vehicle at night with the headlight switch in the auto position I get no dash lights without turning the dimmer switch up... Also the digital fuel gauge at the bottom of the console turns off when I turn the headlight switch to the on position and it doesn't come back on until you turn the headlight switch off and on position and leave it on auto position... I'm thinking it may be the bcms like you were saying before, but I'm not sure, what are your thoughts on this now? Thanks for all your help again.
    I would want to check the grounds but it does sound like the bcm

Let me check my wiring diagrams and see if I can figure out what is the likely cause

Ok sounds good Thanks man

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.