Adding Electric Pusher fan in front of Condenser ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Adding Electric Pusher fan in front of Condenser ? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi, Guys.. I did a search but could not find any postings about installing an additional pusher fan in front ...
    '49 Ford Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade

Adding Electric Pusher fan in front of Condenser ?

Hi, Guys.. I did a search but could not find any postings about installing an additional pusher fan in front of the A/C Condenser to assist in stop and go traffic at 100 degrees plus. Yes, it's 100 degrees in Austin these days. The 2004 Escalade does not overheat, and does just fine at speed in keeping the cabin cool, but in stop and go traffic, I must keep the engine at rpm's exceeding 1000 to do very reasonable cooling. I thought if I could just get some more condenser air through it, it could help incrementally.

So the question is, since it seems a real pain to take out the front radiator support/grille, etc. first to get measurements, I did pull the plastic top cover and did my best to measure the space without taking the grill out. Has anybody done this already? and if so, what size/thickness fan or combination of fans will fit?.. It looks like I could squeeze in one 8"x4", a 12"x2.5", and a 10"x2.5" on the passenger/center/driver's side behind the grill.....

Any thoughts/comments ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by '49 Ford Coupe
    Hi, Guys.. I did a search but could not find any postings about installing an additional pusher fan in front of the A/C Condenser to assist in stop and go traffic at 100 degrees plus. Yes, it's 100 degrees in Austin these days. The 2004 Escalade does not overheat, and does just fine at speed in keeping the cabin cool, but in stop and go traffic, I must keep the engine at rpm's exceeding 1000 to do very reasonable cooling. I thought if I could just get some more condenser air through it, it could help incrementally.

So the question is, since it seems a real pain to take out the front radiator support/grille, etc. first to get measurements, I did pull the plastic top cover and did my best to measure the space without taking the grill out. Has anybody done this already? and if so, what size/thickness fan or combination of fans will fit?.. It looks like I could squeeze in one 8"x4", a 12"x2.5", and a 10"x2.5" on the passenger/center/driver's side behind the grill.....

Any thoughts/comments ?
    I think you might have a fan clutch problem as I have had my 03 in stop and go traffic before and didn't have a problem

Now if the ac isn't cooling good it may be low on freon I would have it checked before I start adding extra fans to make sure it ain't low
    Don't use one of those refill cans as it isn't accurate like the gauges that they use at the dealer or a ac repair shop

There was a electric fan mod to replace the clutch fan but it required sending the PCM off to be reprogrammed to work the fans

'49 Ford Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade

Re: Adding Electric Pusher fan in front of Condenser ?

Thanks, cad man.... will check fan clutch, but the charge is fine..first thing i checked...just noticed that there is about a 2" gap above the condenser which allows a lot of air to bypass the condenser. Also, there are two or three "screw clips" I just noticed on the rear edge of the lower bumper cover. It looks like there should be a cover there to direct the airflow through the radiator/condenser, but there is no cover. Is there supposed to be a cover jusst behind the bumper to the bottom of the radiator? There IS a black one below the radiator to the frame, but just crawled under the thing again, and found that there is a huge floppy flap of semi-rigid rubber just hanging down behind the radiator. There is no evidence of any fasteners on the front edge, but as I stuffed it up behind the radiator and onto a lower steel support, it seems as if it will stay there. This is/was a huge "short circuit" allowing the radiator air to circulate back toward the front of the truck. Then I cut and stuffed some black foam pipe insulation into the 2" opening between the top of the condenser and the top of the radiator. This should make a difference.... maybe...next time out, I'll be paying attention to performance....

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by '49 Ford Coupe
    Thanks, cad man.... will check fan clutch, but the charge is fine..first thing i checked...just noticed that there is about a 2" gap above the condenser which allows a lot of air to bypass the condenser. Also, there are two or three "screw clips" I just noticed on the rear edge of the lower bumper cover. It looks like there should be a cover there to direct the airflow through the radiator/condenser, but there is no cover. Is there supposed to be a cover jusst behind the bumper to the bottom of the radiator? There IS a black one below the radiator to the frame, but just crawled under the thing again, and found that there is a huge floppy flap of semi-rigid rubber just hanging down behind the radiator. There is no evidence of any fasteners on the front edge, but as I stuffed it up behind the radiator and onto a lower steel support, it seems as if it will stay there. This is/was a huge "short circuit" allowing the radiator air to circulate back toward the front of the truck. Then I cut and stuffed some black foam pipe insulation into the 2" opening between the top of the condenser and the top of the radiator. This should make a difference.... maybe...next time out, I'll be paying attention to performance....
    You should be able to hear the fan work as the engine temp increases but the gaps will cut down on its efficiency to where it can't do its job because of air leaks

I don't know if there is a cover at the bottom of the radiator or not but I will look tomorrow(its night here) and post back what I find

I am glad to help

dahubby98 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade ext

I had to install a fan in mine due to the Vegas heat in summer. I can post a pic if you need one. Colled it down by almost 40 degrees in traffic..

Retrax is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, 2003 Escalade EXT

I had the exact same issue. They did a dye check and found no leaks. It turned out I needed to have my fan clutch replaced also which completely fixed the problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.