Power steering pump whine...
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Power steering pump whine... in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi i was driving a lot yesterday and it was a hot day, the truck started to get hard to ...
  1. #1
    Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    121

    Power steering pump whine...

    Hi i was driving a lot yesterday and it was a hot day, the truck started to get hard to turn (right) with the steering wheel. Then it started to whine, so I checked the power steering fluid and it was a little low, I filled it to the appropriate level (hot) since I was driving a lot and it was hot.

    Still whining.. Can barely turn the steering wheel to the right, I think air got in it so how do I bleed it?


    Thank you

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    121
    Thread Starter

    Re: Power steering pump whine...

    I tried to bleed it through the hydroboost/high pressure line?!? And I blew a brake line pushing so hard on the brakes stupid salt! It's at the shop hopefully they can bleed the power steering properly, unless its another issue.

  4. #3
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull14218
    I tried to bleed it through the hydroboost/high pressure line?!? And I blew a brake line pushing so hard on the brakes stupid salt! It's at the shop hopefully they can bleed the power steering properly, unless its another issue.
    Not sure if your truck has it but mine has the speed sensitive steering and the valve sounds like it has stuck
    Sucks about your brake line though I hope the shop can get your truck fixed

  5. #4
    Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    121
    Thread Starter

    Re: Power steering pump whine...

    Brake line is fixed, apparently there is a service bulletin on the power steering for these and other trucks due to this problem?

    If I give gas the steering wheel becomes easier to move but not much when driving slow like in parking lots.

    It's strange, turning left is perfectly fine but turning right is like manual steering.

    Anyone else have this problem?

  6. #5
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull14218
    Brake line is fixed, apparently there is a service bulletin on the power steering for these and other trucks due to this problem?

    If I give gas the steering wheel becomes easier to move but not much when driving slow like in parking lots.

    It's strange, turning left is perfectly fine but turning right is like manual steering.

    Anyone else have this problem?
    Its because of the variable assist steering feature
    Go to any gm dealer and tell them about the steering and I will bet they will know what your talking about
    Its called speed sensitive steering and the valve the works it sticks (fails) as it ages
    I seem a guy at my local gm dealer with the same problem with a 98 escalade and that was the cause

  7. #6
    Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    121
    Thread Starter

    Re: Power steering pump whine...

    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Its because of the variable assist steering feature
    Go to any gm dealer and tell them about the steering and I will bet they will know what your talking about
    Its called speed sensitive steering and the valve the works it sticks (fails) as it ages
    I seem a guy at my local gm dealer with the same problem with a 98 escalade and that was the cause
    Where's the valve located? Can I just replace the valve or is it part of the steering box?

  8. #7
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull14218

    Where's the valve located? Can I just replace the valve or is it part of the steering box?
    I think you can just replace the valve but I haven't had to have it done so I am not sure

  9. #8
    Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    121
    Thread Starter

    Re: Power steering pump whine...

    I'd like to rename this thread but I can't edit it? My truck has no power steering at slow speeds when turning right, anyone have an idea what this code be? I wouldn't think its the power steering pump since left hand turns seem fine.

  10. #9
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull14218
    I'd like to rename this thread but I can't edit it? My truck has no power steering at slow speeds when turning right, anyone have an idea what this code be? I wouldn't think its the power steering pump since left hand turns seem fine.
    Did you replace the valve I mentioned in my previous post?
    If not that is the cause of your problem

  11. #10
    Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    121
    Thread Starter

    Re: Power steering pump whine...

    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Did you replace the valve I mentioned in my previous post?
    If not that is the cause of your problem
    I don't know where it's located? Can I buy a replacement valve?

  12. #11
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull14218

    I don't know where it's located? Can I buy a replacement valve?
    Yep you can get a replacement valve

    I don't know where its at myself(would have to look at my service manual)

    I would have a dealer do this job

  13. #12
    TLMC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Escalade 1969 ss396 chevelle 1967 GTO
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    BOYNTON BEACH,FL
    Age
    60
    Posts
    75

    Re: Power steering pump whine...

    You need to replace your pump.

  14. #13
    Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    121
    Thread Starter

    Re: Power steering pump whine...

    Quote Originally Posted by TLMC View Post
    You need to replace your pump.
    What makes you think it's the pump? It turns left just fine.

    If I only knew how it all works together because obviously the pump only spins in one direction, so what makes it apply pressure in a way to turn both left and right.

  15. #14
    TLMC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Escalade 1969 ss396 chevelle 1967 GTO
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    BOYNTON BEACH,FL
    Age
    60
    Posts
    75

    Re: Power steering pump whine...

    Its called a spool valve inside the pump.

  16. #15
    Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    121
    Thread Starter

    Re: Power steering pump whine...

    Quote Originally Posted by TLMC View Post
    Its called a spool valve inside the pump.
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/steering4.html

    I don't think it's called a spool valve, nor is it in the pump, its not in the pump that causes that, it's the rotary valve that allows pressure in a certain direction to turn either way. but either way i purchased an AC Delco pump for a good deal, hopefully its that otherwise I believe it could be the steering box.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting