Power steering pump whine... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Power steering pump whine... in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by Pitbull14218 http://www.howstuffworks.com/steering4.html I don't think it's called a spool valve, nor is it in the pump, its ...
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull14218

http://www.howstuffworks.com/steering4.html

I don't think it's called a spool valve, nor is it in the pump, its not in the pump that causes that, it's the rotary valve that allows pressure in a certain direction to turn either way. but either way i purchased an AC Delco pump for a good deal, hopefully its that otherwise I believe it could be the steering box.
    I have a bit of free time I am going to look at my service manual right now and clear this up once and for all(too much false claims)

Will update in a bit

----------

Ok update

There is two valves in the power steering system

You have a control valve(in the back of the pump) most likely NOT your problem

You also have a variable assist steering actuator on the back side of the power steering pump(this is most likely your problem)

No you do not have to replace the pump for either valve

How do I know this I am looking at my gm service manual as I type this post(anybody want to make me out to be a lier)

And yes the pump only turns one way

Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT

Re: Power steering pump whine...

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    I have a bit of free time I am going to look at my service manual right now and clear this up once and for all(too much false claims)

Will update in a bit

----------

Ok update

There is two valves in the power steering system

You have a control valve(in the back of the pump) most likely NOT your problem

You also have a variable assist steering actuator on the back side of the power steering pump(this is most likely your problem)

No you do not have to replace the pump for either valve

How do I know this I am looking at my gm service manual as I type this post(anybody want to make me out to be a lier)

And yes the pump only turns one way
    I looked for wires connected to the power steering pump and I couldn't find any for the EVO, so I figured maybe my truck doesn't have it?

I tried to look on rock auto for valves related to power steering so I could try to buy a replacement but no luck. Also there is a pressure relief valve which uses spring pressure to counteract the discharge pressure of the pump, once the pump pressure becomes too high it overcomes the pressure relief valve/spring. Maybe that pressure relief valve is stuck closed and my pump created too much pressure and blew a seal in my steering gear box.

I figured the new pump would have the evo or variable assist valve on it so maybe when I replace it, it will fix the problem.

I looked for wires connected to the power steering pump and I couldn't find any for the EVO, so I figured maybe my truck doesn't have it?

I tried to look on rock auto for valves related to power steering so I could try to buy a replacement but no luck. Also there is a pressure relief valve which uses spring pressure to counteract the discharge pressure of the pump, once the pump pressure becomes too high it overcomes the pressure relief valve/spring. Maybe that pressure relief valve is stuck closed and my pump created too much pressure and blew a seal in my steering gear box.

I figured the new pump would have the evo or variable assist valve on it so maybe when I replace it, it will fix the problem.
    I would check with a gm dealer on the valves not sure if they can be bought aftermarket before you replace the pump

Because if it blew a seal in the steering gear box the truck would leave a spot when you park and it would burn the pump up quickly

I would check with a gm dealer on the valves not sure if they can be bought aftermarket before you replace the pump

Because if it blew a seal in the steering gear box the truck would leave a spot when you park and it would burn the pump up quickly
    Hmm, it definitely doesn't leave spots on the driveway. Thank you for your help by the way, I definitely will post what fixes the problem and I will investigate the cause, I've searched so many forums and I feel like no one posts exactly what fixed it.

Hmm, it definitely doesn't leave spots on the driveway. Thank you for your help by the way, I definitely will post what fixes the problem and I will investigate the cause, I've searched so many forums and I feel like no one posts exactly what fixed it.
    Glad to help and I would like to hear of the outcome

Replaced the pump, problem is still there...

Luckily it was only $50, and it was something I was capable of doing, took 5-6hrs, wasn't that easy.

The old and new pump do not have electronic connections, the instructions spoke of an electronic variable assist steering(if vehicle equipped). So I guess at least a 2002 Escalade EXT doesn't come with the electronic assist.

Here's pics of the old pump to show what it looked like.

The two shiney holes are where the studs are that I had to reuse for the pump bracket

The bottom left hole had the stainless fitting that has a couple bends and then is crimped to the rubber steering hose.

This is the front of the pump with the shaft, and the holes to mount it to the bracket.

Here's a break down on the steps to do the job.

Tools: 15mm socket for most bracket bolts.

Not sure the size but I used wrenches for flare fittings, not sure what theyre called but you don't want to use a crescent wrench on the steering line fittings because you don't want to strip them.

Breaker bar- to get the alternator off because that needs to be removed too.

Took off the engine cover, air intake and then alternator.

Then removed the power steering pump bracket with the power steering pump still bolted to it.

Then drove to advanced auto (in another vehicle) and used their pulley puller to remove the pulley to then get to the bolts that hold the pump on the bracket. Yes the bolts are behind the pulley and thats the only way to removed it from the brakcket.

Then basically everything is reversed to install again.

Replaced the pump, problem is still there...

Luckily it was only $50, and it was something I was capable of doing, took 5-6hrs, wasn't that easy.

The old and new pump do not have electronic connections, the instructions spoke of an electronic variable assist steering(if vehicle equipped). So I guess at least a 2002 Escalade EXT doesn't come with the electronic assist.

Here's pics of the old pump to show what it looked like.

The two shiney holes are where the studs are that I had to reuse for the pump bracket

The bottom left hole had the stainless fitting that has a couple bends and then is crimped to the rubber steering hose.

This is the front of the pump with the shaft, and the holes to mount it to the bracket.

Here's a break down on the steps to do the job.

Tools: 15mm socket for most bracket bolts.

Not sure the size but I used wrenches for flare fittings, not sure what theyre called but you don't want to use a crescent wrench on the steering line fittings because you don't want to strip them.

Breaker bar- to get the alternator off because that needs to be removed too.

Took off the engine cover, air intake and then alternator.

Then removed the power steering pump bracket with the power steering pump still bolted to it.

Then drove to advanced auto (in another vehicle) and used their pulley puller to remove the pulley to then get to the bolts that hold the pump on the bracket. Yes the bolts are behind the pulley and thats the only way to removed it from the brakcket.

Then basically everything is reversed to install again.
    Gm must of had it as a option but the whining may be the belt

Gm must of had it as a option but the whining may be the belt
    The belts fine, the whining must be the pump fighting something, it only whines when turning right when the problem is there-no power steering.

I wonder what vehicles the electronic variable assist is on, but its definitely not on my truck.

Next step is steering box i suppose, but now ill take it to my mechanic because I'm not capable of that.

The belts fine, the whining must be the pump fighting something, it only whines when turning right when the problem is there-no power steering.

I wonder what vehicles the electronic variable assist is on, but its definitely not on my truck.

Next step is steering box i suppose, but now ill take it to my mechanic because I'm not capable of that.
    Could be a line or the box

Could be a line or the box
    Yeah I was thinking it might be a line or something being clogged because after everything was installed and I was pouring power steering fluid into the reservior I accidentally overflowed it but then capped it and figure it would go down a lot since all the lines were empty, but basically it turned out to be the perfect level of fluid. It did to down to proper operating level but I figured I would need to fill it again. But guess not.

bigirb2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 escalade

To properly fix this u must get all the air out. Jack the escalade up so both wheels off the ground. Place switch to on but dont start the truck. Turn wheel all the way to left then all the way to right for 10 min. Start truck and turn wheels again. If sound gone ur done if not turn off and keep bleeding. When u have all air out it will quiet down.

Quote Originally Posted by bigirb2002 View Post
    To properly fix this u must get all the air out. Jack the escalade up so both wheels off the ground. Place switch to on but dont start the truck. Turn wheel all the way to left then all the way to right for 10 min. Start truck and turn wheels again. If sound gone ur done if not turn off and keep bleeding. When u have all air out it will quiet down.
    Why would I have proper power steering turning left but not right and not have problems turning both directions if it was air?

Why would I have proper power steering turning left but not right and not have problems turning both directions if it was air?
    I am starting to think its more likely the steering box

I am starting to think its more likely the steering box
    So I put Lucas power steering stop leak(supposed to also fix the internal seals in the steering boxes or rack and pinions). No luck, still the same problem... So I had to pay up, cost me $340 out the door for new steering box, problem solved!!!!

So happy to be driving my truck again! But ever since I installed the power steering pump my belt tensioner/pulley squeals. It's because since I loosened the tensioner to remove the belt, the pulley of the tensioner now rides on a different part of the bearing compared to where it was riding before it was ever touched.

So where should I buy my belt tensioner? What brand, its the one at the top left of the engine near the intake tube.

So I put Lucas power steering stop leak(supposed to also fix the internal seals in the steering boxes or rack and pinions). No luck, still the same problem... So I had to pay up, cost me $340 out the door for new steering box, problem solved!!!!

So happy to be driving my truck again! But ever since I installed the power steering pump my belt tensioner/pulley squeals. It's because since I loosened the tensioner to remove the belt, the pulley of the tensioner now rides on a different part of the bearing compared to where it was riding before it was ever touched.

So where should I buy my belt tensioner? What brand, its the one at the top left of the engine near the intake tube.
    I got mine at my local gm dealer when I had the belt replaced

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.