Rough transmission downshift
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Rough transmission downshift in Cadillac Escalade Forums; When slowing down, like coming to a stop light from 40 MPH or so, you can feel the transmission downshift ...
    caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Rough transmission downshift

When slowing down, like coming to a stop light from 40 MPH or so, you can feel the transmission downshift twice and it's kind of harsh. Any ideas on what's going on? 99,000 miles on it now.
    Also, when going at parking lot speeds, just coasting, if you give it a little throttle, there will be a bit of hesitation, then there's a "clunk" and noise, and then the truck moves a bit faster.
    I took it to a dealer and they just told me that it's just getting wear in it. The trans in all the other cars I've owned with 70,000 more miles had no harshness. Or is this a truck transmission thing?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by caddydaddy
    When slowing down, like coming to a stop light from 40 MPH or so, you can feel the transmission downshift twice and it's kind of harsh. Any ideas on what's going on? 99,000 miles on it now.
    Also, when going at parking lot speeds, just coasting, if you give it a little throttle, there will be a bit of hesitation, then there's a "clunk" and noise, and then the truck moves a bit faster.
    I took it to a dealer and they just told me that it's just getting wear in it. The trans in all the other cars I've owned with 70,000 more miles had no harshness. Or is this a truck transmission thing?

Thanks!
    I would check the transmission fluid level(like it shows in the manual) and see if it is low as mine did this and the fluid was low I added some and rechecked and it is normal and no harsh shifting

But these are trucks through and through so it will have different characteristics then a car(even though the ride is like a car)i

Re: Rough transmission downshift

The fluid level was normal.

The fluid level was normal.
    Has a tuner been used on the truck I know sometimes they can change the shift mapping(that's what it sounds like)in the PCM

is there any whining from the tranny while the truck is moving?

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Has a tuner been used on the truck I know sometimes they can change the shift mapping(that's what it sounds like)in the PCM

is there any whining from the tranny while the truck is moving?
    No tuner used. My Uncle was the original owner and he's 70+ and not into performance. There are no strange noises. It up shifts fine, but downshifts are harsh.

No tuner used. My Uncle was the original owner and he's 70+ and not into performance. There are no strange noises. It up shifts fine, but downshifts are harsh.
    I would consult with a transmission shop as something doesn't sound right or even a different gm dealer

Since the truck is stock it shouldn't do like that

Mine has 164,000(give or take a few miles)on the clock had it shifts smooth both up and down(just have a bit of whine from where someone didn't fill the fluid up to proper level at some point in time)

90limited is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

My EXT does the same thing. If you coast and then step on the gas, you will get a clunk as the trans or drivetrain "reengages". It sort of reminds me of a ujoint starting to fail. Also, when coming to a stop, there is a lighter clunk as she drops back into first... I have not made time to dig into it yet but will let you know if I discover the cause.

JamieD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by 90limited View Post
    My EXT does the same thing. If you coast and then step on the gas, you will get a clunk as the trans or drivetrain "reengages". It sort of reminds me of a ujoint starting to fail. Also, when coming to a stop, there is a lighter clunk as she drops back into first... I have not made time to dig into it yet but will let you know if I discover the cause.
    I have exactly that happening with my ESV. Took it to the shop where I bought it (my buddy is the mechanic) and he said the universal joints were fine...Hopefully it's "normal" and nothing serious.

Quote Originally Posted by 90limited View Post
    That's how mine is. It is like it reengages when you give it some throttle. I checked the U-joints and they are fine. The dealer said they were fine as well. With the truck on a lift and in neutral, I can hear the clunk noise inside the trans when I rotate the driveshaft back and forth.
    I'd just like to know what it is and if it's just going to break one of these days!

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by JamieD View Post
    I have exactly that happening with my ESV. Took it to the shop where I bought it (my buddy is the mechanic) and he said the universal joints were fine...Hopefully it's "normal" and nothing serious.
    Hello JamieD,

I hope it is normal also and does not cause your vehicle any troubles. If anything in the future arises or you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us for assistance!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

JamieD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV

Thanks, Laura. I'm new to the all-wheel-drive scene, so there are many things that I think are weird sounding, but my friend tells me are normal. The Escalade is a 2005 with just over 200000kms on it, so it's hard to tell what's normal or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieD
    Thanks, Laura. I'm new to the all-wheel-drive scene, so there are many things that I think are weird sounding, but my friend tells me are normal. The Escalade is a 2005 with just over 200000kms on it, so it's hard to tell what's normal or not.
    Mine has done the clunk from time to time from slack in the drivetrain and it is a all wheel drive

HoustonBussa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade Base
    I seem to experience this "clunk" as well in my 2wd. Mostly when coming to a stop and was just thinking about coming on here to inquire.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by JamieD View Post
    You are welcome JamieD. I understand not knowing what is "normal" or not could be annoying, however, if your friend who is a mechanic gives you that advice, I would listen to them. Enjoy driving your Escalade

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service
    JamieD likes this.

VQT
    VQT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

When was the last time you change the transmission fluid? What does the manual maintenain schedule read about change trans. fluid frequency?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.