Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Rough transmission downshift

13K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  caddydaddy 
#1 ·
When slowing down, like coming to a stop light from 40 MPH or so, you can feel the transmission downshift twice and it's kind of harsh. Any ideas on what's going on? 99,000 miles on it now.
Also, when going at parking lot speeds, just coasting, if you give it a little throttle, there will be a bit of hesitation, then there's a "clunk" and noise, and then the truck moves a bit faster.
I took it to a dealer and they just told me that it's just getting wear in it. The trans in all the other cars I've owned with 70,000 more miles had no harshness. Or is this a truck transmission thing?

Thanks!

#2 ·
caddydaddy said:
When slowing down, like coming to a stop light from 40 MPH or so, you can feel the transmission downshift twice and it's kind of harsh. Any ideas on what's going on? 99,000 miles on it now.
Also, when going at parking lot speeds, just coasting, if you give it a little throttle, there will be a bit of hesitation, then there's a "clunk" and noise, and then the truck moves a bit faster.
I took it to a dealer and they just told me that it's just getting wear in it. The trans in all the other cars I've owned with 70,000 more miles had no harshness. Or is this a truck transmission thing?

Thanks!
I would check the transmission fluid level(like it shows in the manual) and see if it is low as mine did this and the fluid was low I added some and rechecked and it is normal and no harsh shifting

But these are trucks through and through so it will have different characteristics then a car(even though the ride is like a car)i

#6 ·
caddydaddy said:
No tuner used. My Uncle was the original owner and he's 70+ and not into performance. There are no strange noises. It up shifts fine, but downshifts are harsh.
I would consult with a transmission shop as something doesn't sound right or even a different gm dealer

Since the truck is stock it shouldn't do like that

Mine has 164,000(give or take a few miles)on the clock had it shifts smooth both up and down(just have a bit of whine from where someone didn't fill the fluid up to proper level at some point in time)

#7 ·
My EXT does the same thing. If you coast and then step on the gas, you will get a clunk as the trans or drivetrain "reengages". It sort of reminds me of a ujoint starting to fail. Also, when coming to a stop, there is a lighter clunk as she drops back into first...:( I have not made time to dig into it yet but will let you know if I discover the cause.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.