2002 Cadillac Escalade EXT 6.0 - Air Compressor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2002 Cadillac Escalade EXT 6.0 - Air Compressor in Cadillac Escalade Forums; If there is a similar post, I'd appreciate it. I couldn't find one. A few months ago any time the ...
    shnackle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escallade EXT

2002 Cadillac Escalade EXT 6.0 - Air Compressor

If there is a similar post, I'd appreciate it. I couldn't find one.

A few months ago any time the AC or heat was on, I'd hear a loud clicking noise coming from the engine compartment. I had my mechanic look at it and he immediately said it was the compressor and wanted a large sum of money to replace it. He also indicated that it would be fine to run it that way and perhaps go through the summer with it. He replaced the belt and sent me on my way. Well, now it's not working and upon inspection I found that the belt has snapped. My first thought is that the compressor had seized. I reached in and can easily turn it and the adjacent pulley with no issue.

I'd like to do this work myself.

My questions:

1. How do I know if the compressor is really bad or if it's something else?

2. I know the basics concerning compressor replacement. If it is a bad compressor, does anyone have experience with this specific animal and could either give me a link or a basic overview? Given it's location, I'd like to avoid pitfalls.

Any information would be wonderful.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT

Re: 2002 Cadillac Escalade EXT 6.0 - Air Compressor

If your AC system is empty or low on refrigerant the compressor won't turn on.

Also you probably spun the compressor clutch/pulley which isn't actually spinning the compressor itself.

I'd check the pressures in the system first. Maybe buy a recharge kit that has the pressure gauge and see if maybe its just empty.

Good point. I should have tested it with a ratchet.

Also good idea on the recharge kit with pressure gauge. I'll try that and report back. The air was really nice and cold before it stopped working so I don't know that it was leaking but Ill check regardless.

Thank you!

No problem, I do AC for a living so ill try to help you if I can.

After confirming that the compressor was in fact spinning freely, I took my EXT down to the mechanic shop to have them test the freon level and also put a new belt on. The freon was a tad bit low. They removed all the freon and recharged completely.

Now unfortunately all I get it warm air to slightly cool air coming out. Perhaps over or under filled it?

The only good news I have is that I no longer hear the clicking noise but I still wonder if the compressor is even moving.

Thanks for your advise so far Pitbull. Any additional information you feel like imparting would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by shnackle
    After confirming that the compressor was in fact spinning freely, I took my EXT down to the mechanic shop to have them test the freon level and also put a new belt on. The freon was a tad bit low. They removed all the freon and recharged completely.

Now unfortunately all I get it warm air to slightly cool air coming out. Perhaps over or under filled it?

The only good news I have is that I no longer hear the clicking noise but I still wonder if the compressor is even moving.

Thanks for your advise so far Pitbull. Any additional information you feel like imparting would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
    I would watch the compressor as the truck is running to see if it engages if not I would go back to that shop and let them know that someone messed up(this is way I only trust my local gm dealer with this stuff)

I observed the AC compressor while the car was on and AC instrument flipped on and the compressor never switches on. The result is warm air coming out of the vents. I can still turn the compressor by hand. I'd hate to buy a new compressor and find that this one is not bad. Could it be a relay?

Thanks

I observed the AC compressor while the car was on and AC instrument flipped on and the compressor never switches on. The result is warm air coming out of the vents. I can still turn the compressor by hand. I'd hate to buy a new compressor and find that this one is not bad. Could it be a relay?

Thanks
    It is either too low or too full on freon have it checked at a gm dealer

Ill do it and report back. Thanks.

Ill do it and report back. Thanks.
    Keep me posted

If its over filled it can cause the compressor to stay off and if its too low on charge it can also keep the compressor from turning on. You'd need to have gauges to see if its too high or too low on charge.

Regular automechanics don't know A/C that well, they most likely only know you need refrigerant in the system lol.

A dealer would have a machine that can do everything for the tech to make it less complicated.

Silent_Assasin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade EXT - Rip Tide Blue

I also have noticed a clicking noise here the last few times I first start my truck in the morning!...It wasnt doing this at all before but now it has a nice pretty loud clicking noise every morning when first started...Even though it only last for maybe a minute or two, its annoying me!...it usually works itself out by the time I get all the way down my street!...I originally thought it was a belt/pully or something since my A/C isnt even on when i first start my truck, but i was informed that GM's compressor kicks on anyways when the A/C isnt even on!...So what exactly do i need to look into fixing to get rid of this horrible short lived clicking noise??....By the way my a/c works perfectly fine blows ice cold at all times! so should I not worry about it or is there a easy/cheap fix? ...Thanks guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Assasin
    I also have noticed a clicking noise here the last few times I first start my truck in the morning!...It wasnt doing this at all before but now it has a nice pretty loud clicking noise every morning when first started...Even though it only last for maybe a minute or two, its annoying me!...it usually works itself out by the time I get all the way down my street!...I originally thought it was a belt/pully or something since my A/C isnt even on when i first start my truck, but i was informed that GM's compressor kicks on anyways when the A/C isnt even on!...So what exactly do i need to look into fixing to get rid of this horrible short lived clicking noise??....By the way my a/c works perfectly fine blows ice cold at all times! so should I not worry about it or is there a easy/cheap fix? ...Thanks guys...
    Most likely its low on freon I would have the system checked soon

The ac compressor is on full time only if the fan knob is in auto mode if it isn't then you can turn the ac compressor on with the button

Silent_Assasin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade EXT - Rip Tide Blue

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Most likely its low on freon I would have the system checked soon

The ac compressor is on full time only if the fan knob is in auto mode if it isn't then you can turn the ac compressor on with the button
    K i will have them check, but what exactly do you mean by if the auto mode is on?...when I do use a/c I use the auto, but its never on when I first start my truck! I ALWAYS have to turn it on after starting the truck! And I ALWAYS make sure I shut my air off before shutting off my truck also! .....

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Assasin

K i will have them check, but what exactly do you mean by if the auto mode is on?...when I do use a/c I use the auto, but its never on when I first start my truck! I ALWAYS have to turn it on after starting the truck! And I ALWAYS make sure I shut my air off before shutting off my truck also! .....
    The hvac system has a auto mode that turns the ac on if needed depending on the outside and cabin temp but I was told at my local dealer that the 02 has the ac compressor running no matter if the light on the hvac controls is lit or not when in auto mode

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.