*** Rear Brake Issue. Need some advice ******
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, *** Rear Brake Issue. Need some advice ****** in Cadillac Escalade Forums; OK bought this 04 Escalade about a month ago. The seller had just taken it to the caddy dealer and ...
    OneLuv1979 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade

*** Rear Brake Issue. Need some advice ******

OK bought this 04 Escalade about a month ago. The seller had just taken it to the caddy dealer and had the rear brakes done and changed all fluids.

Well I have slowly developed a noise out of Drivers side rear brake.

I know when calipers are pushed open to fit new pads they sometime stick btut this sounds more like something dragging or maybe a warped rotor. I don't know.
    I do know that they just did the back brakes.

I Need to fix it ASAP. Just looking for some insight on what my next step should be.

Should I just go ahead and replace the caliper or what?????

Just uploaded a small video to youtube...
    Here is the link (hope its working)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m1LHPWvS78

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    It sounds like the rotor scraping the brake pad. If the rotor was straight, it would either not be scraping or constantly scraping. I suggest taking the rear rotors to your local autoparts place and have them turned (resurfaced and straightened). It will cost about $25 per rotor and should solve your problem. If the rotor is warped you should be able to feel a slight vibration while braking. It would be more noticeable at higher speeds and would get worse over time.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by OneLuv1979
    OK bought this 04 Escalade about a month ago. The seller had just taken it to the caddy dealer and had the rear brakes done and changed all fluids.

Well I have slowly developed a noise out of Drivers side rear brake.

I know when calipers are pushed open to fit new pads they sometime stick btut this sounds more like something dragging or maybe a warped rotor. I don't know.
    I do know that they just did the back brakes.

I Need to fix it ASAP. Just looking for some insight on what my next step should be.

Should I just go ahead and replace the caliper or what?????

Just uploaded a small video to youtube...
    Here is the link (hope its working)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m1LHPWvS78
    That is the sound of the chrome plating on the rim peeling and hitting the brake caliper remove the rim(s) and remove the peeling chrome and the noise will go away
    I get this myself from time to time(likely to stop at some point as my rims don't have much chrome plating left on the inside)

Re: *** Rear Brake Issue. Need some advice ******

The odd thing is it seems to go away once the vehicle moves faster. Maybe the wind noise blocks it... I dunno gonna jack it up now and take a look. Thanks

----------

The rotors were just turned at the dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    That is the sound of the chrome plating on the rim peeling and hitting the brake caliper remove the rim(s) and remove the peeling chrome and the noise will go away
    I get this myself from time to time(likely to stop at some point as my rims don't have much chrome plating left on the inside)

Dude you are are the MAN..

Sure enough I pulled the wheel off and inspected things everything looked good so I removed the chrome that was lifting and the sound is gone....

I TRULY APPRECIATE THE HELP!!
    I was about to buy a rotor and caliper, and the sound would have still been there.
    Never thought about the chrome. This forum rocks!!

Dude you are are the MAN..

Sure enough I pulled the wheel off and inspected things everything looked good so I removed the chrome that was lifting and the sound is gone....

I TRULY APPRECIATE THE HELP!!
    I was about to buy a rotor and caliper, and the sound would have still been there.
    Never thought about the chrome. This forum rocks!!
    That is a lot
    Btw sweet regal

Glad to hear you didn't replace unneeded parts before you found out the source of the noise

Thanks the regal is my weekend driver but since the escalade purchase it has not moved at all.
    I enjoy driving the Lade and it gets better gas mileage then the regal...

Thanks again. Forums like these have saved me so many times.

Thanks the regal is my weekend driver but since the escalade purchase it has not moved at all.
    I enjoy driving the Lade and it gets better gas mileage then the regal...

Thanks again. Forums like these have saved me so many times.
    Sounds like my 79 chrysler cordoba(I am restoring it since it is a classic) trying to get teal green paint is not hard just not cheap(close to 200 for a gallon)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.