Car Issues...Part 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Car Issues...Part 2 in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Esteemed Cadillac folk, Been having a myriad of car-related issues over the past several days. Hoping to get some always ...
    dsciola is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 white Cadillac Escalade

Car Issues...Part 2

Esteemed Cadillac folk,

Been having a myriad of car-related issues over the past several days. Hoping to get some always valuable guidance from the people on this Forum. Posting also in 2 parts. This is NOT in chronological order or order of importance. Moreso, posting in 2 Parts for convenience, assuming easier for members to read this way. Car = 2005 regular white Escalade and has about 125,000 miles on it. I live in Kirkland, which is near Seattle, WA. I work in Seattle

PART 2

Last weekend, took car to Firestone to diagnose why steering wheel was shaking while driving on freeway. Turns out, right front wheel/rim is bent. Firestone can't fix this, so they recommended taking bent wheel/rim to Alloy Wheel Repair in Kirkland. They moved the bent wheel/rim from front right to back right also.

Also, while I was at Firestone that day, I had them do full diagnostic on car. Following is what they recommended getting fixed.

1 - Right front axle seal and also fuel injection/induction/differential. Quoted me for $320 TOTAL.
    2 - bulbs and wiper blades for $60 TOTAL.
    3 - Shock absorbers...quoted me at $2,600 for this...ouch...says this is so high because shocks are electric / work with an electronic suspension as opposed to non-electric...they recommended first getting wheel/rim fixed and then see if that fixes shock absorption issues...so possibly dodge this one then
    4 - Transmission Flush. However, they would not quote me here or offer to fix unless I had written proof I previously had Flush done prior to 100,000 miles...otherwise flushing it now would just make things much worse, likely break transmission. Tranny Flush was quoted for $300 at Dealer.

As an aside, of all the Tire/car ppl I have talked to and have had repair my car, Firestone here seems to be the most trustworthy. They quoted me at lower prices than the dealer and also said some of the items the dealer said needed to be fixed were actually working fine, such as my coolant hoses.

After this, called Alloy Wheel Repair. They said they could trying fixing bent wheel/rim and would cost me about $150. However, 90% chance it will just break during attempt. If it did, they would reimburse me for the attempted fix, but then I would have to buy 4 new wheels. Currently, I have 4 22" ADR's. ADR is no longer in business. They also rec'd taking my car to Les Schwab and having them remove spare wheel and switching with bent one in interim...

Also, when I spoke with the Les Schwab ppl on the phone, they rec'd either Alloy Wheel Repair or another guy who they think is the best...his name is Doug (used to have shop called Wheel Works I think if anyone recognizes either of those?) but apparently he's a bit of an odd duck...he prefers to not speak diretly with his customers and instead has LS coordinate with them...e.g., I get spare wheel/rim removed via LS, Doug then comes to LS and tries to fix it, I then come by later and pick up fixed wheel...needless to say is odd, but if LS can guarantee attempted fix and reimbursement if wheel breaks like Alloy Wheel Repair did and they say Doug's the best by far, then I may be willing to try this...typically takes 2 days also for Doug to try and fix, same price of $150 also.

That's then when I took it to Les Schwab today and found out spare wheel/rim release mechanism is broken, Per PART 1.

While I was at LS, they also were able to quote me for a little less than what Firestone gave me for the right front axle seal and the fuel injection/induction/differential...However, the quote they gave me for these was worded differently...it was worded as 'manufactured drive axle' and 'axle replace 1 side - installation'...I pointed this out to them, but they said they meant the same thing...? Would love guidance here.

LS also quoted me for less than Firestone on the Shock Absorbers. However, they were much more emphatic about needing to get them fixed and didnt think simply fixing the bent rim would be enough...said not fixing them would result in more wear on tires, tranny, etc...also confirmed how since they are electirc shocks absorbers, pricier than usual as Firestone said.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by dsciola
    Esteemed Cadillac folk,

Been having a myriad of car-related issues over the past several days. Hoping to get some always valuable guidance from the people on this Forum. Posting also in 2 parts. This is NOT in chronological order or order of importance. Moreso, posting in 2 Parts for convenience, assuming easier for members to read this way. Car = 2005 regular white Escalade and has about 125,000 miles on it. I live in Kirkland, which is near Seattle, WA. I work in Seattle

PART 2

Last weekend, took car to Firestone to diagnose why steering wheel was shaking while driving on freeway. Turns out, right front wheel/rim is bent. Firestone can't fix this, so they recommended taking bent wheel/rim to Alloy Wheel Repair in Kirkland. They moved the bent wheel/rim from front right to back right also.

Also, while I was at Firestone that day, I had them do full diagnostic on car. Following is what they recommended getting fixed.

1 - Right front axle seal and also fuel injection/induction/differential. Quoted me for $320 TOTAL.
    2 - bulbs and wiper blades for $60 TOTAL.
    3 - Shock absorbers...quoted me at $2,600 for this...ouch...says this is so high because shocks are electric / work with an electronic suspension as opposed to non-electric...they recommended first getting wheel/rim fixed and then see if that fixes shock absorption issues...so possibly dodge this one then
    4 - Transmission Flush. However, they would not quote me here or offer to fix unless I had written proof I previously had Flush done prior to 100,000 miles...otherwise flushing it now would just make things much worse, likely break transmission. Tranny Flush was quoted for $300 at Dealer.

As an aside, of all the Tire/car ppl I have talked to and have had repair my car, Firestone here seems to be the most trustworthy. They quoted me at lower prices than the dealer and also said some of the items the dealer said needed to be fixed were actually working fine, such as my coolant hoses.

After this, called Alloy Wheel Repair. They said they could trying fixing bent wheel/rim and would cost me about $150. However, 90% chance it will just break during attempt. If it did, they would reimburse me for the attempted fix, but then I would have to buy 4 new wheels. Currently, I have 4 22" ADR's. ADR is no longer in business. They also rec'd taking my car to Les Schwab and having them remove spare wheel and switching with bent one in interim...

Also, when I spoke with the Les Schwab ppl on the phone, they rec'd either Alloy Wheel Repair or another guy who they think is the best...his name is Doug (used to have shop called Wheel Works I think if anyone recognizes either of those?) but apparently he's a bit of an odd duck...he prefers to not speak diretly with his customers and instead has LS coordinate with them...e.g., I get spare wheel/rim removed via LS, Doug then comes to LS and tries to fix it, I then come by later and pick up fixed wheel...needless to say is odd, but if LS can guarantee attempted fix and reimbursement if wheel breaks like Alloy Wheel Repair did and they say Doug's the best by far, then I may be willing to try this...typically takes 2 days also for Doug to try and fix, same price of $150 also.

That's then when I took it to Les Schwab today and found out spare wheel/rim release mechanism is broken, Per PART 1.

While I was at LS, they also were able to quote me for a little less than what Firestone gave me for the right front axle seal and the fuel injection/induction/differential...However, the quote they gave me for these was worded differently...it was worded as 'manufactured drive axle' and 'axle replace 1 side - installation'...I pointed this out to them, but they said they meant the same thing...? Would love guidance here.

LS also quoted me for less than Firestone on the Shock Absorbers. However, they were much more emphatic about needing to get them fixed and didnt think simply fixing the bent rim would be enough...said not fixing them would result in more wear on tires, tranny, etc...also confirmed how since they are electirc shocks absorbers, pricier than usual as Firestone said.
    Um the shocks can be bought online
    Here is the site www.arnottindustries.com
    Very reasonably priced

Re: Car Issues...Part 2

Went to site and searched for 2005 Cadillac Escalade regular, resuklts were...

https://www.arnottindustries.com/sea...del=27&year=77

My guess is, per search results above, I'de want the AS-2411 set in the upper right for $379? Would I then wanna buy 2 of these? Comes in pairs, so need 2, but also says they are 'rear air shocks'...so do I then have to find a DIFFERENT set for the front?

Also, here's the verbiage I got from Les Schwab and Firestone for the Shocks and installation...Attached as pdf scans...are both of these desribing the same 'thing' and are they also the same as what we
    found online via the above links?
    Attached Files

....ok...wtf is this...it keeps telling me Ive exceeded storage space...how do I get more uploading space or wtvr...

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by dsciola
    ....ok...wtf is this...it keeps telling me Ive exceeded storage space...how do I get more uploading space or wtvr...
    There is only so much space on the server for each member to use if you want more you have to pay and become a supporting member

IC. OK. How do I sign up for that? As for the LS post, does the verbiage sound legit or scammy? Hope that's in Webster's haha.

Also, per my post with the link after ur post with the link, do I have to buy a different set of shocks for the rear and for the front of the 05 Escalade?

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by dsciola View Post
    Get a photobucket account (free), upload your pictures to it. When adding a photo to a post simply add the link from the picture in photobucket. You won't have to have that annoying storage message anymore and it costs you nothing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.