Car Issues...Part 1
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Car Issues...Part 1 in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Esteemed Cadillac folk, Been having a myriad of car-related issues over the past several days. Hoping to get some always ...
    dsciola is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 white Cadillac Escalade

Car Issues...Part 1

Esteemed Cadillac folk,

Been having a myriad of car-related issues over the past several days. Hoping to get some always valuable guidance from the people on this Forum. Posting also in 2 parts. This is NOT in chronological order or order of importance. Moreso, posting in 2 Parts for convenience, assuming easier for members to read this way. Car = 2005 regular Cadillac Escalade and has about 125,000 miles on it. I live in Kirkland, which is near Seattle, WA. I work in Seattle.

PART 1

My spare tire/wheel release is 'broken'. I went to Les Schwab Tire repair today to switch spare wheel with back right 22" wheel that is bent. Plan was to make switch and then take bent wheel to wheel fixing shop/leave at Les Schwab for wheel fixers to pick up and fix when they can. This way, I can still use my car while bent wheel is being fixed.

Now, with spare wheel 'stuck', not sure what to do next. Les Schwab ppl showed he how when they insert some Allen-wrench looking device into a hole in the back of my Cadillac, the spare just drops and hangs from the underbelly of the car, but does NOT detach. To me, it looked legitimately broken. They do not know how to fix this and recommended going to a dealer. Called dealer and he was not helpful at all.

Then called a GMC repair shop to get their thoughts. They said they can do one of 2 options...

1 - replace and fix spare release mechanism. This will cost me about $450 and take all day and will have to wait for new mechanism to be shipped cross- country since NOT in stock.
    2 - detach spare by cutting 'cord' attaching spare to my car. Then can do wtvr I want with spare, including getting mechanism fixed per above Will cost about $50 and take 45min.

My inclination is Option 2. That way I can get the wheel fixed now/ASAP and also use my car for time being. Later on, fix spare wheel/tire release mechanism if I want to. Furthermore, this was the best answer/deal I got from all the GMC repair shops, dealerships, etc. I contacted. All others either said they can't do anything without looking at my car/broken release mechanism and/or couldnt help

Thoughts from the wiser Cadillac folk here? I would like to do Option 2. However, my concern is perhaps I may not want to have mechanism 'cut' just yet...perhaps someone can let me know if the price the GMC shop quoted me for either Option 1 or 2 is high, low, etc...or if I actually DO NOT want to sever spare tire from car yet and get a 2nd opinion on whether release is actually broken, especially considering that Les Schwab didn't mention cutting the release cord and doesnt know how to fix the release mechanism.

Hope that all makes sense here...please let me know if you have any questions, thoughts, etc.

Dom

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by dsciola
    Esteemed Cadillac folk,

Been having a myriad of car-related issues over the past several days. Hoping to get some always valuable guidance from the people on this Forum. Posting also in 2 parts. This is NOT in chronological order or order of importance. Moreso, posting in 2 Parts for convenience, assuming easier for members to read this way. Car = 2005 regular Cadillac Escalade and has about 125,000 miles on it. I live in Kirkland, which is near Seattle, WA. I work in Seattle.

PART 1

My spare tire/wheel release is 'broken'. I went to Les Schwab Tire repair today to switch spare wheel with back right 22" wheel that is bent. Plan was to make switch and then take bent wheel to wheel fixing shop/leave at Les Schwab for wheel fixers to pick up and fix when they can. This way, I can still use my car while bent wheel is being fixed.

Now, with spare wheel 'stuck', not sure what to do next. Les Schwab ppl showed he how when they insert some Allen-wrench looking device into a hole in the back of my Cadillac, the spare just drops and hangs from the underbelly of the car, but does NOT detach. To me, it looked legitimately broken. They do not know how to fix this and recommended going to a dealer. Called dealer and he was not helpful at all.

Then called a GMC repair shop to get their thoughts. They said they can do one of 2 options...

1 - replace and fix spare release mechanism. This will cost me about $450 and take all day and will have to wait for new mechanism to be shipped cross- country since NOT in stock.
    2 - detach spare by cutting 'cord' attaching spare to my car. Then can do wtvr I want with spare, including getting mechanism fixed per above Will cost about $50 and take 45min.

My inclination is Option 2. That way I can get the wheel fixed now/ASAP and also use my car for time being. Later on, fix spare wheel/tire release mechanism if I want to. Furthermore, this was the best answer/deal I got from all the GMC repair shops, dealerships, etc. I contacted. All others either said they can't do anything without looking at my car/broken release mechanism and/or couldnt help

Thoughts from the wiser Cadillac folk here? I would like to do Option 2. However, my concern is perhaps I may not want to have mechanism 'cut' just yet...perhaps someone can let me know if the price the GMC shop quoted me for either Option 1 or 2 is high, low, etc...or if I actually DO NOT want to sever spare tire from car yet and get a 2nd opinion on whether release is actually broken, especially considering that Les Schwab didn't mention cutting the release cord and doesnt know how to fix the release mechanism.

Hope that all makes sense here...please let me know if you have any questions, thoughts, etc.

Dom
    Once the cable for the spare tire holder is cut the whole unit has to be replaced

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    It sounds like the people working on your car don't know how to remove the spare. You use the tools inside the compartment in the inside rear left compartment of your car. Insert into the spare tire lowering mechanism (sounds like they figured this out). After lowering the tire to the ground, you have to crawl under, manually lift up the tire and squeeze the spring-loaded hook holding the spare and push it through the wheel in order to release it from the vehicle.

Jophusp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Escalade XS-500

Re: Car Issues...Part 1

I just had to swap out spare tire last week. Mike is right. Lower the tire using the long tools in the back with your jack. you have to insert the female end. ( you may have to wiggle with a little force to get it to latch on ). You will have to connect the long tools together to get it all the way in there. Lower your tire, Crawl under there, Lift the tire with one hand. once the pressure is off the spring, and mechanism, you can pull it away from the wheel, turn it sideways, and push it right up through, releasing your spare. It is very simple, and easy. I do not see how it could be stuck.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Jophusp View Post
    I just had to swap out spare tire last week. Mike is right. Lower the tire using the long tools in the back with your jack. you have to insert the female end. ( you may have to wiggle with a little force to get it to latch on ). You will have to connect the long tools together to get it all the way in there. Lower your tire, Crawl under there, Lift the tire with one hand. once the pressure is off the spring, and mechanism, you can pull it away from the wheel, turn it sideways, and push it right up through, releasing your spare. It is very simple, and easy. I do not see how it could be stuck.
    OK. I belive the LS ppl per below tried using their own release tool, NOT any of the long tools in the back. I've seen those tools back there also so can see your point, thinking about it makes me wonder why the hell they didnt try releasing it using the car's tools instead of their own. Do u have a video, pics, or any visual help you can provide here?

Quote Originally Posted by mikedyk43 View Post
    It sounds like the people working on your car don't know how to remove the spare. You use the tools inside the compartment in the inside rear left compartment of your car. Insert into the spare tire lowering mechanism (sounds like they figured this out). After lowering the tire to the ground, you have to crawl under, manually lift up the tire and squeeze the spring-loaded hook holding the spare and push it through the wheel in order to release it from the vehicle.
    Yea the only people so far that tried to release it were the Les Schwab people...and their attempt didnt impress me...Firestone didn't try and the guys who quoted me for replacing the release mechanism for $450 havent seen the car yet.

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Once the cable for the spare tire holder is cut the whole unit has to be replaced
    OK, are you referring to just the 'release mechanism' or something more? When I think 'release mechanism' I'm thinking what will cost me $450 total...are you saying the same thing as that $450 expense or implying there will be more to fix and thus more cost?

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by dsciola
    Thanks guys for the feedback.

OK. I belive the LS ppl per below tried using their own release tool, NOT any of the long tools in the back. I've seen those tools back there also so can see your point, thinking about it makes me wonder why the hell they didnt try releasing it using the car's tools instead of their own. Do u have a video, pics, or any visual help you can provide here?

Yea the only people so far that tried to release it were the Les Schwab people...and their attempt didnt impress me...Firestone didn't try and the guys who quoted me for replacing the release mechanism for $450 havent seen the car yet.

OK, are you referring to just the 'release mechanism' or something more? When I think 'release mechanism' I'm thinking what will cost me $450 total...are you saying the same thing as that $450 expense or implying there will be more to fix and thus more cost?
    I meant if they cut the cable for the spare tire carrier it would need replacing(I was referring to the part that holds the spare tire under the truck)

OK great. Sounds like we're talking about the same thing then

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.