Replace OEM radio or new 3rd party?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Replace OEM radio or new 3rd party? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have a 2005 Escalade and the factory radio/nav dash unit went out. It's over $1000 to buy one from ...
    wmm
    wmm is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Replace OEM radio or new 3rd party?

I have a 2005 Escalade and the factory radio/nav dash unit went out. It's over $1000 to buy one from dealer. I don't want to do that. I can buy a used OEM off eBay for about $350. Or I can put in a retail DVD unit in-dash for around $500-600.
    One problem with the new aftermarket unit is that I will not be able to listen to the rear DVD for the rear passengers (my kids) over the car speakers.

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments? I would entertain suggestions for where to buy or what brand to buy also. I am currently looking at a pioneer DVD system, but like I said. I know of no adapter that would allow me the complete functionality of the rear overhead DVD system.

-Wmm

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by wmm
    I have a 2005 Escalade and the factory radio/nav dash unit went out. It's over $1000 to buy one from dealer. I don't want to do that. I can buy a used OEM off eBay for about $350. Or I can put in a retail DVD unit in-dash for around $500-600.
    One problem with the new aftermarket unit is that I will not be able to listen to the rear DVD for the rear passengers (my kids) over the car speakers.

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments? I would entertain suggestions for where to buy or what brand to buy also. I am currently looking at a pioneer DVD system, but like I said. I know of no adapter that would allow me the complete functionality of the rear overhead DVD system.

-Wmm
    I have a cd/cass radio I pulled out of my truck if you want to use it till you can get a replacement nav unit
    You can also post a wanted ad in the classified section of the forum

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by wmm View Post

-Wmm
    I installed a Pioneer DVD player in mine some time ago and couldn't be happier. I gained the built in Bluetooth (audio and phone) as well as iPod control through the headunit. My kids use the headphones and watch the overhead DVD all the time. If you really wanted to listen through the car speakers you could just run the RCA cables up to the overhead unit, it does have inputs on it. I think the headphones are a much better option since I can listen to what I want and they can watch a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedyk43

I installed a Pioneer DVD player in mine some time ago and couldn't be happier. I gained the built in Bluetooth (audio and phone) as well as iPod control through the headunit. My kids use the headphones and watch the overhead DVD all the time. If you really wanted to listen through the car speakers you could just run the RCA cables up to the overhead unit, it does have inputs on it. I think the headphones are a much better option since I can listen to what I want and they can watch a movie.
    Mike the rear seat DVD player has RCA inputs only no outputs(unless some wiring modifications is done)

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Mike the rear seat DVD player has RCA inputs only no outputs(unless some wiring modifications is done)
    Yes, I know. If he runs inputs to it and plays the DVD in the headunit, kids watch movie with surround sound.

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

Re: Replace OEM radio or new 3rd party?

You might check to see if there are places out there that can refurbish the radio. I know some places can restore the regular radios back to working service for less than $200, so you ought to take a look into it to see if they can do the Nav radio as well.

Yes, I know. If he runs inputs to it and plays the DVD in the headunit, kids watch movie with surround sound.
    True but he would have to drop the headliner which is glued in place and isn't easy to remove or put back

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    True but he would have to drop the headliner which is glued in place and isn't easy to remove or put back
    You know, I just thought of this, but if the stock radio can play audio from the overhead DVD player, then there must already be existing audio outputs that go either to the headunit or the amp. I wonder if it would be possible to tap into those wires and connect them to an aftermarket stereo aux port and play sound through the speakers. I will have to look through my service manuals and see what I can find.

Update: I took a look at my digital service manuals in the stickied DIY thread and in the manual titled Entertainment on pages 29-30 it shows the pinouts for the DVD and CD player connectors. It looks like circuits 368, 367 and 372 are right and left audio and common ground respectively. It would be worth attempting to connect these connections to an aux port of an aftermarket stereo to see if it works. Any thoughts?

You know, I just thought of this, but if the stock radio can play audio from the overhead DVD player, then there must already be existing audio outputs that go either to the headunit or the amp. I wonder if it would be possible to tap into those wires and connect them to an aftermarket stereo aux port and play sound through the speakers. I will have to look through my service manuals and see what I can find.
    I don't think that will work as it is like a stereo wire connection that goes from the DVD player to a junction block behind the drivers side of the dash(buried deep I looked)
    But the wires do feed to the factory head unit via one of the two harnesses(I think its the bigger one but haven't looked the diagram in awhile

Now I have had the factory DVD player removed from the head liner mount and there is three harnesses going to it
    But the only issue I would see is if the pre amps in the DVD player would handle the change in resistance(I know I am getting technical but just covering as much as I can) the factory wiring is maybe .1 ohm RCA cables are close but I don't know if it is worth the risk
    Plus the DVD player is like the radio(and just about every module in the truck) and is worked by the class-2 data bus (the cd changer, xm tuner and DVD player share the same input on the factory radio(not separate ones like a aftermarket radio) and the device is told to output the audio to the radio(and speakers via the amp) over the data bus when you push the cd button to select the DVD player

wmm
    Thank for all the info!!

Yeah, the thought of having the kids use headphones isn't a bad idea, but for now I have twins that are only 14 months old. Headphones aren't a realistic option for probably 1.5 - 2 years.

We have a family trip in August and trying to get it all done before that trip. We will be in the vehicle about 7 hours or so and will need some entertainment for the the little ones.

I wonder if I put in a pioneer unit that keeps the rear DVD functional if I could plug some computer speaker into the RCA plugs on the back of the overhead DVD unit, as a temporary
    fix for this trip?

-wmm

wmm
    Also, I am looking to buy the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS. Where would I find the appropriate wiring harness to help with easier installation.

Crutchfield has one, but it is too expensive.

-wmm

Quote Originally Posted by wmm
    Thank for all the info!!

Yeah, the thought of having the kids use headphones isn't a bad idea, but for now I have twins that are only 14 months old. Headphones aren't a realistic option for probably 1.5 - 2 years.

We have a family trip in August and trying to get it all done before that trip. We will be in the vehicle about 7 hours or so and will need some entertainment for the the little ones.

I wonder if I put in a pioneer unit that keeps the rear DVD functional if I could plug some computer speaker into the RCA plugs on the back of the overhead DVD unit, as a temporary
    fix for this trip?

-wmm
    The plugs on the player are inputs not outputs
    I have a factory cd/cass radio if you want to get it as a temp till you can get a replacment nav

wmm
    Thanks Cadillac Man. I am going to get a replacement in the next few weeks either way I go. That's a very generous offer and I appreciate it.

I can't complain much. My in-laws had
    This vehicle with only 75,000 miles on it and let me buy it for $8k. They hardly ever drove it and i know exactly how it was treated.

Heck, regardless of what I have to spend to replace the head unit, I am still way ahead of the game.

-wmm

Alouicious is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Escalade EXT

Re: Replace OEM radio or new 3rd party?

need alil help i have a 2002 escalade ext with stock din and ahalf deck wanna do after market double din how do i get the dash to fit a double din? and how could i by pass my onstar as i do not use

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.