Speed Limiter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Speed Limiter in Cadillac Escalade Forums; This is my first posting in a forum group. I just recently purchased a used 1999 Escalade and the speed ...
    NstyCad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Escalade

Speed Limiter

This is my first posting in a forum group. I just recently purchased a used 1999 Escalade and the speed limiter kicks in at 55 mph and drops it down to 50 before engaging power again. Can the gm dealer fix this issue without costing me an arm and a leg or will I have to purchase a tuner in order to fix it? Why on earth anyone would limit such a vehicle to 55mph is beyond me but I have seen crazier things in my day. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by NstyCad
    This is my first posting in a forum group. I just recently purchased a used 1999 Escalade and the speed limiter kicks in at 55 mph and drops it down to 50 before engaging power again. Can the gm dealer fix this issue without costing me an arm and a leg or will I have to purchase a tuner in order to fix it? Why on earth anyone would limit such a vehicle to 55mph is beyond me but I have seen crazier things in my day. Any help would be appreciated.
    Sounds like a reduced engine power mode as the speed limiter kicks in at a much higher speed

Re: Speed Limiter

Even if I anticipate it happening, I put the accelerator to the floor.....nothing. It would be compared to turning off the ignition and then turning it back on. My old s10 used to do the same thing but at its normal speed limit of 96. Just trying to eliminate items one step at a time.

Even if I anticipate it happening, I put the accelerator to the floor.....nothing. It would be compared to turning off the ignition and then turning it back on. My old s10 used to do the same thing but at its normal speed limit of 96. Just trying to eliminate items one step at a time.
    The escalade has drive by wire throttle (electric throttle not cable throttle which your s10 has)
    I would want to have the truck checked as it sounds like the reduced power mode is kicking in for some resion(even if you don't get the reduced engine power message on the dash)
    Is the check engine light on
    Also has the fuel filter been replaced

The speed limiter is (not going to try it though) at 125mph on my 03
    The most I have had my truck up to is 90

No cel, new fuel filter, this one is cable throttle (still the 350 cpi). I don't have the bells and whistles with the message center anyways. I traded the s10 for it and with it running the way it does, I believe I got the better end of the deal.

No cel, new fuel filter, this one is cable throttle (still the 350 cpi). I don't have the bells and whistles with the message center anyways. I traded the s10 for it and with it running the way it does, I believe I got the better end of the deal.
    I would still go to a gm dealer soon as it sounds like the truck is in reduced engine power mode
    Unless you can go to a parts shop to get the codes pulled(they can only access the PCM codes and abs codes)
    Some codes may not trigger the check engine light
    (Eg suspension module )

Also have a helper work the throttle while you watch the throttle cable to check for binding or stretching

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

Just throwing it out as a suggestion (and i can't say i'm familiar with the 2001 and down escalades) maybe the vehicle speed sensor is on the fritz and giving a higher than actual reading to the computer? I have seen numerous other sensors on these that when they go bad, they peg out the gauges and such (like the oil pressure sensor) so maybe its getting a false reading and thinks its going 100+ when its only doing 55?

As i said though, im not sure if the vehicle speed sensor is the same one that feeds the speedometer on yours, so i could be totally off too... I have seen cars where it has two seperate sensors though

I have an appointment set up at the gm dealer tomorrow. I will keep all informed at what they find out.

Reprogram of the ecu with factory specs......all is well now.

Reprogram of the ecu with factory specs......all is well now.
    Glad it worked out for you

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.