2002 escalade brakes are soft at times
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2002 escalade brakes are soft at times in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Maybe it was a coincidence but right after leaving a repair shop for foul smelling gas is when I noticed ...
    cadtimes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 Escalade

2002 escalade brakes are soft at times

Maybe it was a coincidence but right after leaving a repair shop for foul smelling gas is when I noticed this other problem. Brakes will be normal when I first press it in coming to an abrupt stop but if Im coming to a slow stop or if I have to press on the brakes very light for at least 5 seconds or so and not all the way dwn .. if Im holding it lightly or if Im lightly pressing it in .. when its time for me to press it all the way in to stop, its as though I wasnt even pressing on the brakes to begin with and I would have to mash it in further and further depending on how long Ive been riding on the brakes. Sometimes having to press all the way in to the floor which doesnt provide good braking. I have never had to press my brakes in that far and I dont even think I was ever able to press it in that much.

So when this does happen I have to let off the brakes completely and mash brakes again but firmly this time to get good braking. Its only when Im holding the brakes in lightly coming to a stop is when it starts to feel soft and I either have to mash it in further than what I normally do which doesnt brake very well .. or I either have to tap on the brakes a few times or let go of it completely to make it feel normal again. What should I do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by cadtimes
    Maybe it was a coincidence but right after leaving a repair shop for foul smelling gas is when I noticed this other problem. Brakes will be normal when I first press it in coming to an abrupt stop but if Im coming to a slow stop or if I have to press on the brakes very light for at least 5 seconds or so and not all the way dwn .. if Im holding it lightly or if Im lightly pressing it in .. when its time for me to press it all the way in to stop, its as though I wasnt even pressing on the brakes to begin with and I would have to mash it in further and further depending on how long Ive been riding on the brakes. Sometimes having to press all the way in to the floor which doesnt provide good braking. I have never had to press my brakes in that far and I dont even think I was ever able to press it in that much.

So when this does happen I have to let off the brakes completely and mash brakes again but firmly this time to get good braking. Its only when Im holding the brakes in lightly coming to a stop is when it starts to feel soft and I either have to mash it in further than what I normally do which doesnt brake very well .. or I either have to tap on the brakes a few times or let go of it completely to make it feel normal again. What should I do?
    Sounds like air in the lines

Re: 2002 escalade brakes are soft at times

Is this something a mechanic can cause intentionally? The last 2 times I went there I noticed an additional problem a day after leaving the shop.

Is this something a mechanic can cause intentionally? The last 2 times I went there I noticed an additional problem a day after leaving the shop.
    Yes they can if they are someone who wants you to keep coming back go to a gm dealer and get it checked out by the right people

I called the shop back and complained in a nice way because I had additional issues after having my car repaired there the last 2 times. He said a few things that could be the problem and said he believes in karma so none of his guys would do anything to intentionally cause more damage.

The power steering fluid was low so he filled it free of charge and that appeared to fix the problem. Much better braking now. I didnt think that had anything to do with braking?

I called the shop back and complained in a nice way because I had additional issues after having my car repaired there the last 2 times. He said a few things that could be the problem and said he believes in karma so none of his guys would do anything to intentionally cause more damage.

The power steering fluid was low so he filled it free of charge and that appeared to fix the problem. Much better braking now. I didnt think that had anything to do with braking?
    The power steering pump works both the steering rack and the brake booster so keep a close check on it to make sure you don't have a leak in the system
    Great to hear that they didn't do nothing on purpose
    Karma is something most don't want to bite them in the butt as it has very bad results for the person it effects(eg lost job)
    Enjoy your truck and have fun

Just to update .. my intuition is telling me this shop did do something despite what he said about karma. My power steering fluid had to have went low after leaving the shop because Ive always had good brakes. He talked about karma and blah blah but whats the odds of noticing 2 separate issues after leaving his shop 2 different times the last 2 times I went there. Anyways .. I called him back again because my brakes seems to be getting worse and worse again and he said there was a power steering leak. Hmm how does he know? All he said was that the fluid level was low when I first took it back to him and I havent took it back since then. He should have told me there was a leak then. Lesson learned for me. I will never take my truck back to a shop other than a GMC dealership or a mechanic that I know personally who is very trusting. Im 90% sure this dude caused me $800+ dollars that I didnt have to spend, between the 2 times I went there.

Just to update .. my intuition is telling me this shop did do something despite what he said about karma. My power steering fluid had to have went low after leaving the shop because Ive always had good brakes. He talked about karma and blah blah but whats the odds of noticing 2 separate issues after leaving his shop 2 different times the last 2 times I went there. Anyways .. I called him back again because my brakes seems to be getting worse and worse again and he said there was a power steering leak. Hmm how does he know? All he said was that the fluid level was low when I first took it back to him and I havent took it back since then. He should have told me there was a leak then. Lesson learned for me. I will never take my truck back to a shop other than a GMC dealership or a mechanic that I know personally who is very trusting. Im 90% sure this dude caused me $800+ dollars that I didnt have to spend, between the 2 times I went there.
    Ouch I feel for you man
    I would take a look over the power steering and brake booster lines to make sure they didn't cut a hose
    I always take my truck to my local gm dealer(David sales gmc/Buick in Lafollatte tn) I have gotten to know the service
    Manager and a few of the mechanics there and they let me watch when they work(even though I ain't supposed to)but they are honest about the work

Took my truck to GM dealer. They tried to diagnose the problem but they found nothing to be wrong with my brakes. They said I have a hydroboost system and thats probably why my peddles go to floor at times. Got my truck back and was driving it a few days and I just knew my brakes werent suppose to be or use to be soft like what it was doing. Called dealership back and told them that and I told them I would have them do a brake bleed to see if that helps. Took it there again and they were only able to bleed the front 2 because something about the back 2 would have required new calipers to bleed. Still had to pay $95. They test drove it again and all seemed fine to them. Got my truck back and brakes were still the same. I thought well maybe Im just trippin haha.

Rode like that for another week and then I decided I will take truck to a reputable brake shop in my area. Geralds Brakes and Tires that has several locations in Charleston, SC metro area. Guy there said he doesnt know how GM dealer missed my hydroboost system leak because there was a major leak. So I needed that and also the master cylinder needed to be replaced. So I just got to spend $850 Brakes are perfect now.

Took my truck to GM dealer. They tried to diagnose the problem but they found nothing to be wrong with my brakes. They said I have a hydroboost system and thats probably why my peddles go to floor at times. Got my truck back and was driving it a few days and I just knew my brakes werent suppose to be or use to be soft like what it was doing. Called dealership back and told them that and I told them I would have them do a brake bleed to see if that helps. Took it there again and they were only able to bleed the front 2 because something about the back 2 would have required new calipers to bleed. Still had to pay $95. They test drove it again and all seemed fine to them. Got my truck back and brakes were still the same. I thought well maybe Im just trippin haha.

Rode like that for another week and then I decided I will take truck to a reputable brake shop in my area. Geralds Brakes and Tires that has several locations in Charleston, SC metro area. Guy there said he doesnt know how GM dealer missed my hydroboost system leak because there was a major leak. So I needed that and also the master cylinder needed to be replaced. So I just got to spend $850 Brakes are perfect now.
    This is another reason I watch them at my dealer but it is great you got your brakes fixed as the last thing you want is your brakes fail when you need them

Ogjordan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 85 fleetwood coupe

I had soft brakes on the Escalade I just bought 2 Saturdays ago. Drove it 12 hrs home. A few days later, brakes LOCKED up on the front. Like, smoke rolling off the pads. Had it towed in and the brake modulator was out. $690 later, it's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogjordan
    I had soft brakes on the Escalade I just bought 2 Saturdays ago. Drove it 12 hrs home. A few days later, brakes LOCKED up on the front. Like, smoke rolling off the pads. Had it towed in and the brake modulator was out. $690 later, it's perfect.

Ouch ouch that sucks at least you didn't get hurt or hit when they locked up(I know not fun)

Ogjordan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 85 fleetwood coupe

Yeah as I left the house the truck felt like it was in 2nd gear or something. Just sluggish. I hit the brakes, it got worse. And again and again. Pulled over and smoke was rolling. Restarting the truck let them go back to normal. I was looking at 30K for a 2010-up to get what I wanted, I paid 13k for the 2004 Platinum (with 80k miles) so an extra $700 is still a pretty good bargain considering it's an extra car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.