escalade won't start, no turning over, onstar works
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, escalade won't start, no turning over, onstar works in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Well, I go out today to move the car after the snow storm to let the plow driver finish plowing ...
    gort is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT (Sold)

escalade won't start, no turning over, onstar works

Well, I go out today to move the car after the snow storm to let the plow driver finish plowing our lot....I get in, turn the key and nothing! The radio, wipers, lights, and on-star all work fine. There is no turning over sound or anything. So now I'm sitting around waiting for the towtruck to arrive. Any of you guys had this happen before? My only guess would be the starter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Daryl in KY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Re: escalade won't start, no turning over, onstar works

The Lade has a lot of terminals that can get corroded between the battery and the starter solinoid. And cold weather affects them right away. So you may have some corrosion somewhere in the circuit path. But there are other potential problems: fuel pump; anti-theif; recognizing the key; etc. But from what you describe, I'd look for corrosion first.

slk230mb is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by gort
    Well, I go out today to move the car after the snow storm to let the plow driver finish plowing our lot....I get in, turn the key and nothing! The radio, wipers, lights, and on-star all work fine. There is no turning over sound or anything. So now I'm sitting around waiting for the towtruck to arrive. Any of you guys had this happen before? My only guess would be the starter.
    Is the battery original? I had the same problem and it turned out that my battery had a leaking cell that decided to work when it wanted to. Also the postive battery terminal was corroded to all hell, so Daryl in KY is dead on.
    ~Steve

MEJIA is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

When Ive had fuel pump failure, the engine cranks but it wont start due to the fact that no gas is reaching the engine.

So I guess that is not the problem....

Keep us informed please of what was the cause of your truck not starting......

Mejia

Yep it's sitting right in front of the service bay at the dealer now. Hopefully will hear something tomorrow or Friday. This is kind of convenient, assuming this is something that was going to happen eventually and i was planning on taking it in this friday to have my previously mentioned ticking noise looked at.

skides1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

It's the Battery. The starter is a "high-tech" gear reduction type which is very durable- The fact batt is not. My battery was done before it was 2 yrs old. Hopefully the dealership doesn't try to hit your for 300 plus a tow for a 20 dollar battery because it's a "wear" item. If they do, RAISE HELL!

well they called me today and said the car started fine! I don't know what the deal was. I told them to keep it and figure out why it wouldn't start yesterday. I don't want to have this happen again!

Are you driving an Enterprise Rental? Imagine an ASE cert Master tech taking more than one minute diagnosing your car's issue. Disgracefull! They are prob trying to figure out how to "work around" giving you a new batt. Don't sweat it if you driving thier car-but whatever you do, don't smoke in it!- it cost me 80 bucks for an "ozoneator" treatment for a Deville. Forgive me, I am on an anti-dealer serv- tangent.

Hehe, nah I'm driving one of our other escalades while this one is in the shop. Luckily we have enough cars where we all have a car to drive still that functions in the snow we've been having.

Damn Gort,
    hit them for the rental-Your car will be done faster! BET on THAT!

U know what would be fun,
    Call them in the AM-"We still have no idea"-Well I need a rental-"Hang on----Oh, yes- it's ready MR. Gort, we'll pull it out for you right away!

kevinK is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The same thing happened to my 98 deville. The battery is fine. I opened and shut the doors a couple of times. Retitened the gas cap. It started after that and has been fine since then.

rodnice is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm having the same problem with my Escalade. The dealer kept it for two days and told me they had no idea what the issue was. I was told to call them the next time it happens.

Hopefully I will hear tomorrow, guys. Thanks for the input!

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by xlraw
    I have an 07 escalade that wont start a few weeks back I got a boost and it started. Yesterday I was working on resetting the tire pressure which involves having the ignition on. After when I was done about 30-40 mins the car just shut off. I replaced the battery everything works but there is no sound when the key is turned. Is this a starter problem any suggestions.
    No sound as in no click from the starter or no click from the relay or starter if its the later it may be a bad relay unless a module has gone crazy(I have seen it happen not fun)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.