AC switched to HEAT while driving. PLEASE HELP
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, AC switched to HEAT while driving. PLEASE HELP in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I am in South Florida and its starting to get real hot outside. I have owned my 2004 escalade for ...
    OneLuv1979 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade

AC switched to HEAT while driving. PLEASE HELP

I am in South Florida and its starting to get real hot outside.
    I have owned my 2004 escalade for all of maybe 2 weeks.

I was on the interstate today driving and all of a sudden my cold air switched to HEAT.I did everything trying to get the cool air back adjusting controls with no luck it just continued to blow hot heated air.

30 miles later when I got off I95 I shut the car off and restarted it and bam AC is blowing ice cold again.... Can someone please tell me what the heck I need to do to repair this. Bummed to be already dropping cash on it , I spent everything I had buying it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by OneLuv1979
    I am in South Florida and its starting to get real hot outside.
    I have owned my 2004 escalade for all of maybe 2 weeks.

I was on the interstate today driving and all of a sudden my cold air switched to HEAT.I did everything trying to get the cool air back adjusting controls with no luck it just continued to blow hot heated air.

30 miles later when I got off I95 I shut the car off and restarted it and bam AC is blowing ice cold again.... Can someone please tell me what the heck I need to do to repair this. Bummed to be already dropping cash on it , I spent everything I had buying it.
    It's the driver side temp door actuator
    Remove the kick panel on the passenger side to access it
    I removed mine and took it apart and cleaned the contacts inside and it hasn't done it again

Re: AC switched to HEAT while driving. PLEASE HELP

OK Thanks for the quick reply what does this thing look like and where is it located under there?
    I don't mind buying a new one if needed... Just cant have this continue.

Is there any tricks to remove it?

OK Thanks for the quick reply what does this thing look like and where is it located under there?
    I don't mind buying a new one if needed... Just cant have this continue.

Is there any tricks to remove it?
    It will be right above the right of the tranny hump(it is black with a wiring harness plugged into it)
    I am going to warn you NOT to have the key on with it unmounted as it can be damaged quick
    There is no tricks to remove it just two screws hold it in place
    Use a ratchet with a 7mm socket(not sure its been so long since I had mine out) to remove the screws and the kick panel pulls out
    FYI there are three screws(one above the tranny hump which is a tight area) that hold the kick panel in place

Thanks I'm going to wait until it does it again and make sure the passenger and rear ac still work.
    Sounds like a fairly easy repair. Any clue how much a actuator cost?

Thanks I'm going to wait until it does it again and make sure the passenger and rear ac still work.
    Sounds like a fairly easy repair. Any clue how much a actuator cost?
    140 bucks
    But the rear air is controlled separately from the front

I found this on a google search.... Its saying that the passenger actuator is under the kick panel..
    Now im confused.... Is it under the kick panel for sure?

I drove the lade last night around midnight and I could hear something clicking making noise exactly where u say the actuator is located...

http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15787

I found this on a google search.... Its saying that the passenger actuator is under the kick panel..
    Now im confused.... Is it under the kick panel for sure?

I drove the lade last night around midnight and I could hear something clicking making noise exactly where u say the actuator is located...

http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15787
    Where ever you seen that is wrong as I watched the actuator move as I worked the driver temp control the clicking noise is it (mine would sounds like someone knocking on a door) I also have the gm service manual and it shows it there

The passenger side temp door actuator is on the top of the hvac housing along with the recycle air and vent door actuators(you would have to remove the top of the dash to get to those)

Cool thanks.. Any chance you have a part number?

I plan on doing it as soon as I pin point that it is only the drivers side.
    Thanks a lot I truly appreciate the help.

Cool thanks.. Any chance you have a part number?

I plan on doing it as soon as I pin point that it is only the drivers side.
    Thanks a lot I truly appreciate the help.
    You can call a dealer and get it as they can get by the vin on the truck

Really I will have to give them a shout tomorrow and figure it out...
    Thanks!

Really I will have to give them a shout tomorrow and figure it out...
    Thanks!
    Yep I did that before on certain parts

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Well fellows ours started the "knocking on a door" noise a week ago but continued to blow cold AC air (drivers side) until this past Tuesday, when the AC turned to heat (drivers side only), passenger side remained cold AC air.

I removed the passenger side kick panel, the last 7mm screw is truly a PIA especially putting it back in! As Cadillac man stated the module that controls the drivers vents is located right above the trans tunnel. I used a 7/32" rather than the 5.5mm to remove the module. Again 1 of the screws are a PIA but not as bad as the kick panel.

I removed the module and pried it open. The contacts were clean as was everything else. I applied white lithium grease to the gears snapped the module back together and reinstalled. I haven't heard the "door knocking" nor had the drivers side AC switch to heat since.

Crossing my fingers that its another "free fix". I will update if the module fails.

sprink60 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by jnrsesv View Post
    Well fellows ours started the "knocking on a door" noise a week ago but continued to blow cold AC air (drivers side) until this past Tuesday, when the AC turned to heat (drivers side only), passenger side remained cold AC air.

I removed the passenger side kick panel, the last 7mm screw is truly a PIA especially putting it back in! As Cadillac man stated the module that controls the drivers vents is located right above the trans tunnel. I used a 7/32" rather than the 5.5mm to remove the module. Again 1 of the screws are a PIA but not as bad as the kick panel.

I removed the module and pried it open. The contacts were clean as was everything else. I applied white lithium grease to the gears snapped the module back together and reinstalled. I haven't heard the "door knocking" nor had the drivers side AC switch to heat since.

Crossing my fingers that its another "free fix". I will update if the module fails.
    So let me make sure where this thing is...the kick panel is in front of the door. If the module is above the transmissin hump why remove the kick panel?

OneLuv...the best deal i have found on parts is Number 1 GM Parts on E Bay. They are actually Roger dean Chevrolet in West Palm on Okeechobee. They will honor the E Bay price at the parts counter...BIG discount.

65kaiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Mine just started doing this as well. I did some checking and the panel you have to remove is below the dash on the passenger side, Kind of like if you were sitting in the passenger seat and lifted your feet your toes would touch it. Not the traditional kick panel just forward of the door.
    I found this helpful. http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2011/...vers-side.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.