Tie rod choice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Tie rod choice in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has these on their lade and if so, how are they? Thanks http://store.sevensaturdays.com/rpi-rp28723.html...
    cashmereDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac DTS, 2004 Cadillac Escalade

Tie rod choice

Hi all.
    Just wondering if anyone has these on their lade and if so, how are they?
    Thanks
    http://store.sevensaturdays.com/rpi-rp28723.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    They have a pretty compelling little story there about how bad the OEM tie rods are. It almost makes me want to buy their product. Of course, my Escalade just turned 100k miles and I went through the entire suspension and replaced front and rear bushings and bearings. Front ball joints were replaced as well as the pitman and idler arms. I also had to tighten up the steering gear. To my surprise, the original tie rods had no play at all and did not get changed. So my truck now rides and steers as solid as a rock with 100k miles on the original tie rods. I can't imagine these tie rods really being necessary unless you are really thrashing on your truck. Just my 2¢.

cashmereDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac DTS, 2004 Cadillac Escalade

Re: Tie rod choice

Hi mikedyk43.

I see what you're saying. I'm fairly careful with how I drive, generally speaking, but I do run 20's from May to the end of October and the roads in my neck of the woods are not the greatest (lots of pot holes) not to mention that i haul a 3000 to 5000 pound trailor around two or three times for 8 hours at a time, every two weeks or so. The outer tie rod on the passanger side has no play in it but has a hole in the bladder and should get replaced. The drivers side outer tie rod is solid but is not sitting flat hence grease is seaping out. This may be because the inner tie rod on the drivers side has play (which should get replaced) or because it's bent.

You are correct. Their story is compelling but the tie rods on gm trucks and suv's of this generation seem to be a known issue (depending what you are doing with your truck lol). There are many conversations all over the net in different forums where guys are talking about the factory OEM tie rods failing time and time again. I just figured if I was going to replace the inner and outer tie rods on both sides anyways, for $100 more, I could get a much beefed up set up. (keeping in mind i'm thinking of going this route over stock replacements because of my situation; 20's for half the year, poor roads and hauling the trailor). Although my lade is an 04, it only has 107 000 km (66 875 miles). For that reason, I believe all the parts in the front end are probably original and will have to be replaced at some point in the near future because of my situation.

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Don't get wrong, my situation is not necessarily what others are experiencing and it may very well be worth the piece of mind to spend a little more and know that you won't have problems. By the way, mine also has factory 20s since I've owned it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.