Hi all, Is it true? And need advice.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Rob03ext
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Hi all, Is it true? And need advice. in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi everyone. I bought a 03 ext with 146k miles on it about a week ago. I only got 1 ...
    Rob03ext is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 escalade ext

Unhappy Hi all, Is it true? And need advice.

Hi everyone. I bought a 03 ext with 146k miles on it about a week ago. I only got 1 key and no fobs. So in the beginning I had problem opening and closing it cause driver side door switches were not working wright. Since then I bought those switches and ordered a new instrument cluster on eBay as the one I got is dimmed so bad I can't see anything when driving at night. I also had oil changed and a remote starter with keyless entry system installed so I could open and close the truck without a hassles.
    This morning my engine started idling a little rough and the motor was jerking a little bit. I went to auto zone to check the engine light code and he said that the culinder 8 midsfired, so i called one guy who supposed to know cars to check it out and he tells me that these engines are crap and not worth mg money to fix just get rid of it ASAP. He said that the aluminum engine block bolt threads are getting worn out and then the gasket is starting to leak antifreeze into the engine, he said for $1000 I can get the gasket replaced but the same thing will happen within 1 year.
    What do you think?
    Other thing is that today half of the gauges on my (still old) instrument cluster stopped working along with the whole driver door switches. The odometer and speedometer are still working but the volt gas and whatever else the little gauges are are not working. I thought it could be a fuse kind of situation but I'm not sure. Please help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob03ext
    Hi everyone. I bought a 03 ext with 146k miles on it about a week ago. I only got 1 key and no fobs. So in the beginning I had problem opening and closing it cause driver side door switches were not working wright. Since then I bought those switches and ordered a new instrument cluster on eBay as the one I got is dimmed so bad I can't see anything when driving at night. I also had oil changed and a remote starter with keyless entry system installed so I could open and close the truck without a hassles.
    This morning my engine started idling a little rough and the motor was jerking a little bit. I went to auto zone to check the engine light code and he said that the culinder 8 midsfired, so i called one guy who supposed to know cars to check it out and he tells me that these engines are crap and not worth mg money to fix just get rid of it ASAP. He said that the aluminum engine block bolt threads are getting worn out and then the gasket is starting to leak antifreeze into the engine, he said for $1000 I can get the gasket replaced but the same thing will happen within 1 year.
    What do you think?
    Other thing is that today half of the gauges on my (still old) instrument cluster stopped working along with the whole driver door switches. The odometer and speedometer are still working but the volt gas and whatever else the little gauges are are not working. I thought it could be a fuse kind of situation but I'm not sure. Please help.
    First don't talk to that guy as he knows nothing about gm's truck engines these aren't north star engines(but tried and true gm truck engines)

The misfire code is caused by a bad coil pack not a gasket(I will update with the side of the engine that the bad pack is on tomorrow)

If there is no coolant lose (it would trigger a low coolant message in the information screen) and you ain't leaving a orange spot where you park then I wouldn't worry about the seal(most likely he seen you coming)

The door switches is the driver door module(it works more then the windows and locks)

The gauges are most likely caused by bad stepper motors(its a common issue with gm for these trucks) and are easy to replace

Re: Hi all, Is it true? And need advice.

Thank you. I appreciate quick response. I really like that truck, and that guy really got me down. I knew I should get 2nd opinion.

Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT

He's thinking of he North Star engines lol

Jophusp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Escalade XS-500

Lol, ask him why there are so many of these engines out there with 150-200-even 300 thousand miles on them, say what you want about the tranny, or manifold bolts, GM got it right with this motor. A friend of mine has a 2003 2500 HD with 6.0l, Always took it to his hillbilly backyard mechanic for everything, and anything. Ran like crap, Miss-fired all the time at High RPM, Power kept dropping, and seemed like it was on it's last leg. Finally, at 134,000 miles I convinced him to take it to the dealer, After installing the CORRECT plugs, and wires, cleaning the throttle body, and a few other minor touches that I cannot recall, it runs like a dream. He is a contractor, and the truck is worked excessively. Still going strong at over 170,000 miles. A lot of people let guys like your "guy" work on the High Tech engines, and that often the root of a lot of problem, If you get a chance, look into who maintained your Lade, you may find the root to your problems is much simpler then you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jophusp
    Lol, ask him why there are so many of these engines out there with 150-200-even 300 thousand miles on them, say what you want about the tranny, or manifold bolts, GM got it right with this motor. A friend of mine has a 2003 2500 HD with 6.0l, Always took it to his hillbilly backyard mechanic for everything, and anything. Ran like crap, Miss-fired all the time at High RPM, Power kept dropping, and seemed like it was on it's last leg. Finally, at 134,000 miles I convinced him to take it to the dealer, After installing the CORRECT plugs, and wires, cleaning the throttle body, and a few other minor touches that I cannot recall, it runs like a dream. He is a contractor, and the truck is worked excessively. Still going strong at over 170,000 miles. A lot of people let guys like your "guy" work on the High Tech engines, and that often the root of a lot of problem, If you get a chance, look into who maintained your Lade, you may find the root to your problems is much simpler then you think.
    I agree take it to a gm dealer (any gm dealer) and you will get a better sight on your escalade
    These ls engines are bulletproof
    I do what work I can anything else I leave to the dealer as I know they know what they are doing under the hood of my truck(plus I know the service manager and a few of the techs which is a plus)
    I have over 160,000 miles on my truck and it runs like a champ(may need new coil packs sometime)

bigirb2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 escalade

i dont know why people think escalades have a north star. its a truck. has a truck engine. similar to a corvette engine

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Who needs a dealer? Every problem I've encountered with my lade over the past four years has been solved by reading through this forum, and some handy service manuals that I've shared with all...

Quote Originally Posted by mikedyk43
    Who needs a dealer? Every problem I've encountered with my lade over the past four years has been solved by reading through this forum, and some handy service manuals that I've shared with all...
    I agree

Turns out it was a broken spark plug, had them all changed along with the wires and it runs like new. Very happy.
    rwonder and rwonder like this.

Jophusp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Escalade XS-500

Great to hear. Glad it was a simple fix, and you did not get rid of it. Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear you got it fixed and didn't get rid of it either

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.