2002 Escalade Ext Daytime driving lights?
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2002 Escalade Ext Daytime driving lights? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi my passenger daytime running lights went out, I'd like to replace it with something that isn't so yellow looking. ...
  1. #1
    Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    119

    2002 Escalade Ext Daytime driving lights?

    Hi my passenger daytime running lights went out, I'd like to replace it with something that isn't so yellow looking. I plan to eventually install some HIDs. Any reccommendations? What type of bulbs are they? They are not my headlights by the way, they are a smaller light.

    Thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    YoshiMan's Avatar
    YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Age
    29
    Posts
    250

    Re: 2002 Escalade Ext Daytime driving lights?

    The Escalade DRLs run at a pretty high voltage (somewhere around 14.4 volts) so they require their own special bulbs that can handle it, which are the 4114 bulbs if i'm not mistaken?

    The chances are good that your DRL sockets will be toast as well, as the bulbs run VERY hot and the socket will likely break apart when you go to change it You can buy new ones on Rockauto.com for less than $10 apeice

    I replaced mine with a set of LED bulbs, as they get rid of that yellow color (more of a bright white now) and create little to no heat. The only ones i could find that specified that they could handle 14.4 volts were on CarID.com, but maybe someone else on here has better experience with off the shelf LED bulbs?

  4. #3
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,217
    I got my LEDs from superbrightleds website had them for over two years no problems(I tried slyvania silver stars big mistake as it hazed my housings before I went led)

    Hid bulbs would not work in the drl spot as there is no bulb for the socket

  5. #4
    Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    119

    Re: 2002 Escalade Ext Daytime driving lights?

    Anyone make any threads on changing them to LED?

  6. #5
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull14218
    Anyone make any threads on changing them to LED?
    Replacing the standard bulbs to the LEDs like I got is no different then changing a regular bulb

  7. #6
    Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    119

    Re: 2002 Escalade Ext Daytime driving lights?

    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Replacing the standard bulbs to the LEDs like I got is no different then changing a regular bulb
    Oh ok, i thought you had to customize it to install them, you have any pictures of them installed what they look like?

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by YoshiMan View Post
    The Escalade DRLs run at a pretty high voltage (somewhere around 14.4 volts) so they require their own special bulbs that can handle it, which are the 4114 bulbs if i'm not mistaken?

    The chances are good that your DRL sockets will be toast as well, as the bulbs run VERY hot and the socket will likely break apart when you go to change it You can buy new ones on Rockauto.com for less than $10 apeice

    I replaced mine with a set of LED bulbs, as they get rid of that yellow color (more of a bright white now) and create little to no heat. The only ones i could find that specified that they could handle 14.4 volts were on CarID.com, but maybe someone else on here has better experience with off the shelf LED bulbs?
    The ones at carid seem to be $50 for daytime running lights?

    Then at superbrightleds non say for 14.4 volts?

  8. #7
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull14218

    Oh ok, i thought you had to customize it to install them, you have any pictures of them installed what they look like?

    ----------



    The ones at carid seem to be $50 for daytime running lights?

    Then at superbrightleds non say for 14.4 volts?
    I have been using the ones from superbrightleds without a problem so far
    FYI the price on the site(not carid) is for one bulb but they are worth the price
    If you can pm me your email address and I can send the pics
    The color is close to the hid bulbs(which I like better then yellow)

  9. #8
    Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    119

    Re: 2002 Escalade Ext Daytime driving lights?

    Ok, im also interested in HIDs, how big of a problem is it since my 02 doesnt have projector housings? Id like to not blind people, also anyone reccommend a kit?

  10. #9
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull14218
    Ok, im also interested in HIDs, how big of a problem is it since my 02 doesnt have projector housings? Id like to not blind people, also anyone reccommend a kit?
    I wouldn't recommend putting a kit in the headlights on a 02 fog lights are ok if aimed right
    The 03-06 have different housings that are designed to work with the factory hids
    I got my kits from here www.kensun.com
    Unless you get projection housings for the headlights you will blind oncoming traffic
    The fog lights are low enough to where you won't have to worry as long as they ain't pointed up towards the sky

  11. #10
    Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    119

    Re: 2002 Escalade Ext Daytime driving lights?

    What about different bulbs to make them not yellow but brighter?

  12. #11
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull14218
    What about different bulbs to make them not yellow but brighter?
    I tried the slyvania silver-stars and they caused the housings to haze so the best choice is led(not that most people pay attention to the drls anyway they don't in my area for sure)
    Plus they aren't required in the us only Canada

  13. #12
    Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    119

    Re: 2002 Escalade Ext Daytime driving lights?

    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    I tried the slyvania silver-stars and they caused the housings to haze so the best choice is led(not that most people pay attention to the drls anyway they don't in my area for sure)
    Plus they aren't required in the us only Canada
    Do they make LED headlights that are bright enough to replace my stock low beams? Any reccommendations

  14. #13
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull14218

    Do they make LED headlights that are bright enough to replace my stock low beams? Any reccommendations
    Nope I have yet to see any if you want the hid look get some Phillips crystal vision bulbs they are a nix white light(smilier to hids) without the glare you would get from hids in the non hid housings(which is not good for other drivers)

  15. #14
    Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    119

    Re: 2002 Escalade Ext Daytime driving lights?

    I bought some LED DRLs, and a 6,000k HID kit, I post before and after pics when I get them island install them. I hope it's not going to blind other people driving, otherwise I might paint some of the reflectors black or somehing to make it not reflect as much. I heard even the 03-06 headlight made for HIDs don't do a get job keeping people from being blinded.

  16. #15
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull14218
    I bought some LED DRLs, and a 6,000k HID kit, I post before and after pics when I get them island install them. I hope it's not going to blind other people driving, otherwise I might paint some of the reflectors black or somehing to make it not reflect as much. I heard even the 03-06 headlight made for HIDs don't do a get job keeping people from being blinded.
    That claim is false they do a much better job then say a non hid housing does(they have a cut off around the belt line of most cars which makes it better for both me and the other drivers)I have my headlights aimed right and have yet to get flashed by oncoming drivers
    Putting hids in a 02 escalade housing will cause major glare and will dazzle other drivers

    Before you do any painting I would get the proper housings and the proper ballast and bulbs they ain't that hard to swap out

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting