Sudden Rear Brake Pad failure...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Sudden Rear Brake Pad failure... in Cadillac Escalade Forums; We all stay tuned for strange and new sounds from or Escalades and I am no exception. Coming home from ...
    sprink60 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV

Sudden Rear Brake Pad failure...

We all stay tuned for strange and new sounds from or Escalades and I am no exception. Coming home from work this week I noticed the unmistakable sound of "Metal on Metal" disc brakes. I got home, jacked the truck up and started spinning wheels by hand...there was no scoring on any of the rotors visible and with these 22" rims thats easy to see.

When I got to the left rear I found the culprit...not visible because in was on the inside of the rotor and the outside looked perfect. The rotor was scored deeper than spec allowed turning so i replaced it and turned both the new left rear and the existing good right rear. I installed new Wagner "Thermo Quiet Red" pads on both sides and for $80 parts and machine shop labor ($30 at Auto parts store to turn rotors) I cured the problem.

One thing I did make note of though is that the rear rotors are 13" and the front rotors are 12"...usually the fronts are the larger ones in my experience. Oh well...GM knows better than I as to how to set up the brake performance bias on their products....I just thought it was a bit odd.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by sprink60
    We all stay tuned for strange and new sounds from or Escalades and I am no exception. Coming home from work this week I noticed the unmistakable sound of "Metal on Metal" disc brakes. I got home, jacked the truck up and started spinning wheels by hand...there was no scoring on any of the rotors visible and with these 22" rims thats easy to see.

When I got to the left rear I found the culprit...not visible because in was on the inside of the rotor and the outside looked perfect. The rotor was scored deeper than spec allowed turning so i replaced it and turned both the new left rear and the existing good right rear. I installed new Wagner "Thermo Quiet Red" pads on both sides and for $80 parts and machine shop labor ($30 at Auto parts store to turn rotors) I cured the problem.

One thing I did make note of though is that the rear rotors are 13" and the front rotors are 12"...usually the fronts are the larger ones in my experience. Oh well...GM knows better than I as to how to set up the brake performance bias on their products....I just thought it was a bit odd.
    Sprink the rear brakes tend to wear out faster then the front they set them up like that to prevent the front from diving during sudden stops

wesyder is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man

Sprink the rear brakes tend to wear out faster then the front they set them up like that to prevent the front from diving during sudden stops
    Yeah im on 3rd set on the rear vs 2nd set on the front with about 210k miles

6lbsofSound is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade

Re: Sudden Rear Brake Pad failure...

The rear rotors are larger for a specific reason. Rotor diameter has nothing to do with stopping power. The caliper piston size and # of pistons make the difference. Gm used larger rotors in the rear due to cooling. The rear brakes don't get the same level of cooling hence why pads and rotors tend to wear faster in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by wesyder

Yeah im on 3rd set on the rear vs 2nd set on the front with about 210k miles
    Ouch

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

The rears are most likely bigger just so they can house the Parking brake drum in the center

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiMan
    The rears are most likely bigger just so they can house the Parking brake drum in the center
    They are because of the park brake(which sucks on my truck)

Je357 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

My parking brakes dont work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Je357
    My parking brakes dont work at all.
    Join the club mine has never worked

Je357 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

I wanna fix mine. Hate when i park on a hill and cant get my truck outta gear cause i didnt use e-brake

Quote Originally Posted by Je357
    I wanna fix mine. Hate when i park on a hill and cant get my truck outta gear cause i didnt use e-brake
    I know the feeling I plan on fixing mine when I replace my rear rotors(they are warped)

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

I find it amusing how strange these parking brakes are. Mine sometimes will hold the truck solid as a rock in the driveway, and sometimes it doesn't work at all! I'm sure it's long overdue for an adjustment, but its odd how night and day it can be!

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiMan
    I find it amusing how strange these parking brakes are. Mine sometimes will hold the truck solid as a rock in the driveway, and sometimes it doesn't work at all! I'm sure it's long overdue for an adjustment, but its odd how night and day it can be!
    I agree my dads h2 park brake holds great most of the time sometimes it slips a bit
    I know mine needs adjusting or the pads need replacing

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.