Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Good price for 04?

6K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  jjtwomey 
#1 · (Edited)
Been looking at lots of suvs thinking the lade ist he one and i love the 07+ but the ones within my price range all have high miles and i just don't want to spend 22-23+ for a car with over 100k. I do like the prev gen with some rims and a grill they look pretty nice. Found a 04 white 84k at a ford dealer has navi with stock 17" asking 15.9 which is crazy IMO. What's a good price? Edmonds sez 12.2 dealer retail I'm inclined to stick near that.

Update found an 06 and bought it !

#2 ·
I purchased my 03 last year with 70k miles and brand new 20 inch rims and tires on it for 15,500.00. I dont feel that is to far off from where their at but I am sure you have a good amount of negotiating room depending on what you are bringing to the table. Trade in, down payment? Excellent credit alone should allow you to get closer to 14k at least

#3 ·
You'll pay higher for condition. $16K doesn't sound bad if it's in pristine condition without any mechanical defects.

I paid $16K for a fully loaded 05 with 82K miles last year from a GM dealership and couldn't be happier with it. I do have some slight issues with the suspension but I figured that was coming on such a heavy vehicle. I'll wind up sinking about $500 in parts with my own labor into it and be completely satisfied.

I've been shopping a couple of years and seen these things come down from the mid 20s down to the mid to upper teens. Condition makes a big difference in two of the same model years with different prices.

Personally, I'd stick with an 05 or 06. Some improvements that I was looking for (electric fans) came in 05.

As long as you're not in a hurry a good deal will fall into your lap eventually for the price you want to pay. It took a couple of years for me but I'm patient now about getting exactly what I'm looking for.

#4 ·
grayparatrooper said:
Been looking at lots of suvs thinking the lade ist he one and i love the 07+ but the ones within my price range all have high miles and i just don't want to spend 22-23+ for a car with over 100k. I do like the prev gen with some rims and a grill they look pretty nice. Found a 04 white 84k at a ford dealer has navi with stock 17" asking 15.9 which is crazy IMO. What's a good price? Edmonds sez 12.2 dealer retail I'm inclined to stick near that.
If it is in great shape it may be worth the price

If it was me I would schedule a test drive and test everything work every switch check all the lights

While on the test drive listen for odd noises(whines,moans, clunks etc.etc)

Make sure the air suspension works(if not use that to your advantage (I got 500 knocked off mine because of the service ride control message))

Last if you can (and they will let you) take the truck to a gm dealer to have it checked out to make sure nothing needs replacing drivetrain wise(even though gm's power trains are bullet proof)

#5 ·
No trades credit is good enough I'm already approved through my own credit union. It's pretty easy on their end give me a deal and the car goes away lol. I can look at their financing I guess if that helps get the price down. I'm torn wait around find a deal and spend a lil more on a 07 or spend less and get something now hmmm.

#6 ·
grayparatrooper said:
No trades credit is good enough I'm already approved through my own credit union. It's pretty easy on their end give me a deal and the car goes away lol. I can look at their financing I guess if that helps get the price down. I'm torn wait around find a deal and spend a lil more on a 07 or spend less and get something now hmmm.
I would get something now(you would wait your whole life as there would be something better)
Ps there is claims of the 07's having tranny issues

But if you do like I said in my previous post I think you would enjoy a second gen esky for a cheaper price now then upgrade to a 08 or newer at a later time(when the prices are lower)

FYI act quick as these trucks sell quick if the
Mileage is low

#8 ·
You may also want to consider something with a few more miles on it. Especially if you are planning to only have it a few years, then upgrade to newer gen. Look around, there are plenty of great deals out there in around the 110-120,000 mile range. There is a steep drop off in price between 80-110. alot of them around here are going for about 10,000, in the mile range I mentioned, and alot of little things usually get replaced during that period, Water pump, brakes, etc. Also consider what you will get back out of it when its time to swap. They pretty much bottom out at around 8-9, unless it has 300,000miles on it. Those are out there too. These trucks are far from their end at 120,000 miles, They still have alot of miles to be enjoyed, and what could any of us do with 5 grand extra. Just my two pieces of copper.

#12 ·
I paid 18,900 for my 05 with 60k miles on it! in EXCELLENT condition so it was well worth it, they were asking 21,000 for it and i got them down a bit!... If you ask me, my personal opinion is the 04-06 are by far the nicest of them all! I love the body style alot better then the newer ones, and also I run a detail shop, so i see first hand the material all manufacturers have been using for 07-current model vehicles! It is literally 79% RECYCLED GARBAGE! That is why you cant clean it that well at all, the carpet is VERY thin, the plastic on the dash and door panels is even cheaper! I have seriously had multiple customers bring me their 2010 2011 2012 vehicles with cloth seats, saying they spilt water on them, and I could not get WATER out of them! Water honestly leaves marks on new cloth seats that will not go away! (sometimes not even my extractor will get them out!) Its absolutely ridiculous! And also I dont know what they were thinking when they designed that ugly clock for the 07+ model Escalade!! lol....but either way, me personally I will never buy a 07-2013+ model vehicle or until they make a massive change in production!

----------

I had to grab mine as soon as I seen it and took the test drive
LOL i know right! I dont even remember looking under the hood when i bought mine! HA i drove almost 6 hours away though to pick up my truck, so i knew what i was going to buy! There was no turning back, After I heard her running and seen that sexy beast pull around the corner of the building, within the first 5 seconds of the test drive, I knew I was buying it!

#16 ·
Went and drove it couple little scratches but overall in really nice shape everything seems to work as it should no weird noises, tires almost new, oil at 94%. Negatives 1 key no remotes (how much are new ones?), driver seat couple small crack in driver seat bottom, carpet needs cleaning in spots.

We agreed since if it all checks out at the dealer or car shop tommorrow I could do 14k which I think is pretty fair. I tried to leave a deposit cuz I don't want it disappearing buthe said he wouldn't do anything with it so long as I'm quick about getting looked at. He even said he could take it in for me although IDE probably rather do it.

If all goes well tommorrow ill have me a new lade. Cross fingers on the check upmtommorrow.

#17 ·
grayparatrooper said:
Went and drove it couple little scratches but overall in really nice shape everything seems to work as it should no weird noises, tires almost new, oil at 94%. Negatives 1 key no remotes (how much are new ones?), driver seat couple small crack in driver seat bottom, carpet needs cleaning in spots.

We agreed since if it all checks out at the dealer or car shop tommorrow I could do 14k which I think is pretty fair. I tried to leave a deposit cuz I don't want it disappearing buthe said he wouldn't do anything with it so long as I'm quick about getting looked at. He even said he could take it in for me although IDE probably rather do it.

If all goes well tommorrow ill have me a new lade. Cross fingers on the check upmtommorrow.
I hope you can get it you will love it
FYI I would still have it checked myself to sure

#18 ·
Yes I'm going take it myself I just feel better that way. Couple questions if it has power mirrors where is that button what's it look like? Also how can I tell if its 2wd or awd? I also turned off the ac but it seemed to still be on I swear I ave done this on other gm truck before but can't remember how I turned it off and left the fan blowing.

#19 ·
grayparatrooper said:
Yes I'm going take it myself I just feel better that way. Couple questions if it has power mirrors where is that button what's it look like? Also how can I tell if its 2wd or awd? I also turned off the ac but it seemed to still be on I swear I ave done this on other gm truck before but can't remember how I turned it off and left the fan blowing.
The power fold mirror control is in the mirror adjuster(it has a yellow mirror in the middle)
Push the left side to fold the mirrors out push the right side to fold the mirrors in
The ac button disables the compressor(auto climate controls are different from manual climate controls)
02-04 all wheel drive models have the 6.0 v8
Others you will have to look under the front to be sure it has all wheel drive(gm dropped the smaller engine in 05)

I did the same thing with my truck not long after I got it as I didn't trust the carfax report

#20 ·
The new one I'm looking at is a 06. It's for sure awd as I found out the letter k in the vin means its awd. Ill have to look for the power folding mirror again I swear I didn't see it. It's also missing the nav disk I just remembered which one would it need and how much? Hopefully tomorrow goes smooth and it checks out ok.

#21 ·
grayparatrooper said:
The new one I'm looking at is a 06. It's for sure awd as I found out the letter k in the vin means its awd. Ill have to look for the power folding mirror again I swear I didn't see it. It's also missing the nav disk I just remembered which one would it need and how much? Hopefully tomorrow goes smooth and it checks out ok.
It's the mirror adjustment control just forward of the window controls(don't feel bad about not seeing it the guys at my local dealer miss it every time (and manually pull my drivers side mirror out by hand) so I ended up not using it in fear of them messing up my mirror

#23 ·
grayparatrooper said:
You see the switch to select the mirror to adjust it(the one just behind it is the mirror adjusting buttons that is the one you use to fold the mirrors
If you have the owners manual(provided the truck has it) it would show in it in more detail)

#26 ·
Who would have known the power side view mirror button was so complicated? My 4 year old was in the driver seat pushing buttons one day and i saw the mirrors fold in. I had to ask him what button he pushed to figure it out!

I got my 04 ESV with 115K miles for $10K, came with Newish 22"s.

The previous owners removed the check engine light LED, navigation shows a white screen, rear brakes are gone, and the dvd player is missing. But these are all things i can take care of myself so im happy with my purchase.

#27 ·
I finally figured out the mirrors lol and they fold in just fine. Got it checked out at a gm dealer. Overall really good needs some suspension stuff, rear brakes, ac belt, some rear gasket and at some point a general 100k tune up fluids etc. Guy said it seemed to be taken care of and everything worked. I have to finish paper work tomorrow but I ended up getting it for 13,700+tax and tank of gas. I'm pretty happy with that. Now too find some rims and that front license plate cover thing.

#29 ·
grayparatrooper said:
I finally figured out the mirrors lol and they fold in just fine. Got it checked out at a gm dealer. Overall really good needs some suspension stuff, rear brakes, ac belt, some rear gasket and at some point a general 100k tune up fluids etc. Guy said it seemed to be taken care of and everything worked. I have to finish paper work tomorrow but I ended up getting it for 13,700+tax and tank of gas. I'm pretty happy with that. Now too find some rims and that front license plate cover thing.
It's about the same mine was when I got it except cheaper price
Rear brakes wear quicker then the fronts(I have replaced mine once already)
I replaced the plugs
Need new rear shocks(common issue)
Take care of it and it will serve you well

#30 ·
thanks I'm pretty excited never owned an American car before always had Toyota/Lexus so we'll see how she holds up. I would have liked lower miles but at this point a 10-15k mile difference isn't that big a deal people drive around here and most are higher mileage. I think teh price is fair for it being an 06 at least around here trucks hold their value well the 04 I missed out on was 15.9 and sold it a couple days and it was older.

I already researched the parts I need on eBay and they are dirt cheap ill just have to have a local guy install it all. Already got some mods planned out and i can't wait to find some rims I really hate the grampa rims it has lol.

A couple pix of her

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Luxury vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.