What parts should I get changed for tuneup on '03 ESV?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, What parts should I get changed for tuneup on '03 ESV? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have 112k miles and looks like still original parts on vehicle from previous owner. Which plugs, wires should I ...
    sosatyme72 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '03 Escalade ESV

What parts should I get changed for tuneup on '03 ESV?

I have 112k miles and looks like still original parts on vehicle from previous owner. Which plugs, wires should I go with? Any
    good price sites to order from or should I just got to dealer for them? Just not trying to spend crazy money at dealership on parts if I can get them elsewhere comparable to oem....please let me know

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by sosatyme72
    I have 112k miles and looks like still original parts on vehicle from previous owner. Which plugs, wires should I go with? Any
    good price sites to order from or should I just got to dealer for them? Just not trying to spend crazy money at dealership on parts if I can get them elsewhere comparable to oem....please let me know

thanks!
    I got new gm professional iridium plugs at advance auto parts when I did my tune up I kept my old wires as they were still in good shape
    The covers are held in place by screws and you will need a 7mm socket to remove the covers with(the screws do not come free of the covers)

I did 7 of the 8 plugs(haven't had the time to tackle the rear plug near the ac lines yet)

Also you need a spark plug socket for the plugs

BDuncan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: What parts should I get changed for tuneup on '03 ESV?

Plugs are the only parts - the rear passenger side is tough but even an old man (me) can do it. I changed mine in my '03 at
    90K and they still looked perfect. As noted above, make sure you get the Iridium plugs, AC, ND etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BDuncan
    Plugs are the only parts - the rear passenger side is tough but even an old man (me) can do it. I changed mine in my '03 at
    90K and they still looked perfect. As noted above, make sure you get the Iridium plugs, AC, ND etc.
    Bd how did you get that plug out?
    I am afraid to get in there in fear of damaging the ac lines if I make a mishap

thanks guys,since im replacing the plugs shouldnt i replace wires as well? also what other parts should i replace all filterss.. shoudl i chnage over to synthetic oil or keep regular oil im using?

thanks guys,since im replacing the plugs shouldnt i replace wires as well? also what other parts should i replace all filterss.. shoudl i chnage over to synthetic oil or keep regular oil im using?
    The oil choice is up to you
    The wires depend on the condition of the old wires if they aren't in bad shape then most likely they would be ok to reuse
    FYI if your truck has the k&n filter don't mess with it

ok i have teh standard air filter.

ok i have teh standard air filter.
    Then replace it if its dirty or dusty

BDuncan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

On the rear plug (passenger side) I have used a few different tools. Probably the easiest is a 5/8" plug socket or 5/8 deep 3/8 drive socket with a box wrench to turn it. I've also used an open end wrench to break it lose. You only need to use a wrench for about 1/4 turn. Use a short piece of 3/8 ID hose on the plug to grip and turn - both removing and installing. If the rear plug doesn't turn easy after breaking it loose use a little WD40 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BDuncan
    On the rear plug (passenger side) I have used a few different tools. Probably the easiest is a 5/8" plug socket or 5/8 deep 3/8 drive socket with a box wrench to turn it. I've also used an open end wrench to break it lose. You only need to use a wrench for about 1/4 turn. Use a short piece of 3/8 ID hose on the plug to grip and turn - both removing and installing. If the rear plug doesn't turn easy after breaking it loose use a little WD40 etc.
    Ok I have a plug socket and a box wrench I am going to do that sometime soon since that is the only plug I have left to replace(I used anti seize grease on the new plugs to make it easier next time(hopefully)

Silver04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 ESV

I just replaced plugs and wires on my 04 esv (6.0L) last night. It took two of us an hour. Helpful hints:
    -8mm or 5/16" is what you need to remove the plastic cover bolts (1 on top, 2 on each side)
    -I found removing the oil and tranny dipstick gave me more room to remove that right plastic shield
    -I replaced the plugs with AC Delco 41-110's ($7.56 each at my local NAPA)
    -I have the square coil packs, thus I needed NAPA part 700989 (NAPA premium wires).
    -If you have the circular coil packs you would need NAPA part 700399. The difference between these two wires is about an inch in length. the 700989's are the longer ones.
    -The right rear plug was not difficult. I used a 1" extension and got in there quite nicely.
    -The left (drivers) front plug-It helped if you disconnected that small sensor by it and moved those wires aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver04
    I just replaced plugs and wires on my 04 esv (6.0L) last night. It took two of us an hour. Helpful hints:
    -8mm or 5/16" is what you need to remove the plastic cover bolts (1 on top, 2 on each side)
    -I found removing the oil and tranny dipstick gave me more room to remove that right plastic shield
    -I replaced the plugs with AC Delco 41-110's ($7.56 each at my local NAPA)
    -I have the square coil packs, thus I needed NAPA part 700989 (NAPA premium wires).
    -If you have the circular coil packs you would need NAPA part 700399. The difference between these two wires is about an inch in length. the 700989's are the longer ones.
    -The right rear plug was not difficult. I used a 1" extension and got in there quite nicely.
    -The left (drivers) front plug-It helped if you disconnected that small sensor by it and moved those wires aside.
    Two things I didn't do is remove the dipsticks or the sensor wiring harness and had no problem getting to the plugs(of course I have small hands)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.